Review Sportster is not what it used to be?

HeyItsRick

MotoRickyRicardo
Apr 6, 2018
www.youtube.com
I ride a
2017 Harley Davidson Iron 833
I think your assessment was pretty fair, my father has a 1200 custom that I've been riding for the past week to give it some road time and the experience between the two is much different. I can't really attribute it to build quality, even though theyre both sportsters they are way different.
His is a 2004, rejetted carburetor and running upgraded air and exhaust, also the front sprocket was swapped out to increase low-end torque.
Mine is a 2017 with just a FP3 tuner installed.

From personal experience, the tuner definitely helped the bike run the way it should. The seat is terrible and after 10k miles I can confirm there is no "break-in" period for it. Hopefully the 2018 models have better seats, they look comfortable in person.
In terms of sound, I havent heard the new 2018 models in person and my fathers 1200 has V&H's straight shots so its hard to compare. My 2017 was pretty quiet even after being tuned, you can really hear the throttle open up now that I've got the big sucker intake on but its still pretty quiet.

It does seem that Harley has taken notice of the major complaints and tried to address them, the new seat, suspension, bars, and overall loudness. So I guess that lessens the "Harley Tax" but even if I had to start over I'd go with what I've got now.
Performance aside, I'm glad to have replaced the filter, the big dish was annoying and with mid controls it was pretty annoying on longer rides.

Reactions: R-Rated

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
I think your assessment was pretty fair, my father has a 1200 custom that I've been riding for the past week to give it some road time and the experience between the two is much different. I can't really attribute it to build quality, even though theyre both sportsters they are way different.
His is a 2004, rejetted carburetor and running upgraded air and exhaust, also the front sprocket was swapped out to increase low-end torque.
Mine is a 2017 with just a FP3 tuner installed.

From personal experience, the tuner definitely helped the bike run the way it should. The seat is terrible and after 10k miles I can confirm there is no "break-in" period for it. Hopefully the 2018 models have better seats, they look comfortable in person.
In terms of sound, I havent heard the new 2018 models in person and my fathers 1200 has V&H's straight shots so its hard to compare. My 2017 was pretty quiet even after being tuned, you can really hear the throttle open up now that I've got the big sucker intake on but its still pretty quiet.

It does seem that Harley has taken notice of the major complaints and tried to address them, the new seat, suspension, bars, and overall loudness. So I guess that lessens the "Harley Tax" but even if I had to start over I'd go with what I've got now.
Performance aside, I'm glad to have replaced the filter, the big dish was annoying and with mid controls it was pretty annoying on longer rides.

Thanks!

I am running the FP3 on my Electraglide and adjusting the throttle progressivity is one of my favorites. Almost like having the different drive mode options some other bikes have.

If I were you, maybe get a stock seat take off from a new bike? I was impressed with the saddle not vibrating at all when my hands and feet were getting pelted from the powertrain.

How is running 5th onnthe interstate both before and after the swap? The one I tested felt like it was at its limit running 75 mph.

Finally, I am not a loud pipe fan. A low mellow rumble is pleasing but an elephant fart is not - but that leads back to the FP3. We can change exhaust back and forth without paying Dyno prices!

Reactions: HeyItsRick

LoneWolfer

Lone Wolfer Garage
Jun 1, 2017
Connecticut
www.thelonewolfer.com
I ride a
Harley Nightster, Harley Switchback & Suzuki Savage
You called the Iron 1200 a Nightster hahahaa. You're very correct on that though. And thanks for the mention!

I rode the new 1200 and the 48 last weekend and have to say I prefer the Iron/Nightster 1200 for comfort even with its mid controls. The 48 seat is good for its size but pretty terrible in the grand scheme of things. The Iron 1200 felt exactly like my 2009 Nightster before any modifications. I did really like having the RPM read out in the clock/odometer window which you could switch between with the new button on the same switch as the horn. Knowing your RPMS can really help with the vibration coming through the grips and the footpegs. I know the sweet spots and speeds for my bike and that helps on longer rides. But I have to do that by feel and ear. And yeah, Sportsters are chatty, especially the newer ones. I have long suspected that it has to do with the EFI or carboration. I have no proof other than when I go riding with my buddy who has a 2003 and the sound of the engine is just so different even though they are both 1200 with 5 gears.

I have a power commander, Arlen Ness intake and Vance and hines short shots so my bike it loud as hell cause I figured I would just go ahead and be that guy, and my bike easily cruises up near 100 with no issue other than the wind punching you in the chest. Stock, these bikes aren't really up for that task.

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
You called the Iron 1200 a Nightster hahahaa. You're very correct on that though. And thanks for the mention!

I rode the new 1200 and the 48 last weekend and have to say I prefer the Iron/Nightster 1200 for comfort even with its mid controls. The 48 seat is good for its size but pretty terrible in the grand scheme of things. The Iron 1200 felt exactly like my 2009 Nightster before any modifications. I did really like having the RPM read out in the clock/odometer window which you could switch between with the new button on the same switch as the horn. Knowing your RPMS can really help with the vibration coming through the grips and the footpegs. I know the sweet spots and speeds for my bike and that helps on longer rides. But I have to do that by feel and ear. And yeah, Sportsters are chatty, especially the newer ones. I have long suspected that it has to do with the EFI or carboration. I have no proof other than when I go riding with my buddy who has a 2003 and the sound of the engine is just so different even though they are both 1200 with 5 gears.

I have a power commander, Arlen Ness intake and Vance and hines short shots so my bike it loud as hell cause I figured I would just go ahead and be that guy, and my bike easily cruises up near 100 with no issue other than the wind punching you in the chest. Stock, these bikes aren't really up for that task.

Whoops!
The last time I called something by the wrong name, I got in trouble.

I wonder if being lean makes the explosion in the cylinder pop more and that effects the valves?

Reactions: HeyItsRick

LoneWolfer

Lone Wolfer Garage
Jun 1, 2017
Connecticut
www.thelonewolfer.com
I ride a
Harley Nightster, Harley Switchback & Suzuki Savage
Whoops!
The last time I called something by the wrong name, I got in trouble.

I wonder if being lean makes the explosion in the cylinder pop more and that effects the valves?

Thats sounds like a good explinatation to me. My skills on engineering issues is none, I'm just okay at following directions.

HeyItsRick

MotoRickyRicardo
Apr 6, 2018
www.youtube.com
I ride a
2017 Harley Davidson Iron 833
@R-Rated, the FP3 for touring models has alot more features than the sportster version. Throttle progressivity is something I wish I could control, though for about $10 I could probably just buy a 1/4 turn throttle tube.

As far as 5th on the interstate, I didnt notice an immediate difference...definitely a little more pep after the FP3 install but it was the air intake that made the difference for me. Bone stock was at times scary on the highway, knowing that I cant simply accelerate past someone who may not see me. Now not only does the bike pick up but full throttle sounds way louder so it draws attention when I need it (though I still want a good set of pipes).
Wow, I cant imagine feeling like I couldnt get past 75mph. Stock mine could hit 85ish with ease. I know you were just test riding but if they are that held back then yeah Harley's messing up bigtime.

@LoneWolfer, the RPM readout is pretty nice to have, though on the highway it only reminds me that I could use a 6th gear lol

FastAfter50

Wannabie Member
May 8, 2018
I ride a
BMW S1000R
Your read is on point. Wouldn't it be cool if they made the the Street Fighter equivalent for HD?

Reactions: R-Rated

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts