Status
Not open for further replies.

NessedUpProductions

Wannabie Member
Mar 15, 2013
www.youtube.com
I ride a
YZ 250/ KLX 110/ KTM 450
So, I am dualsport guy and have been riding offroad for the last three years, trails, motocross tracks, pit bikes, ect... Before that mountain biking for years.

Anyway, I have dualsport machine for short distance rides, but really want to get a real street bike or maybe a supermoto. Thinking of considering a sport bike, but I am completeley clueless on what would be a good starter bike for me.

I have pretty decent bike skills offroad, manage my throttle well, don't tend to take unnessesary risks, and am a bigger guy. 6'0" or 183 cm and 250 lbs or around 113 kg. I have a fairly short inseam though. Not really sure how important my measurements are, but figure sport bikes prolly fit different, like dirt bikes.

Thanks in advance and l welcome any suggestions!

Dr Kongo

Wannabie Member
Mar 18, 2013
Germany
I ride a
horse with no name
I have no clue about offroad riding and how it relates to street riding but for the street I suggest Twist of the Wrist 2 in book or movie version (or both :) seriously, some things are explained differently in each version )

1,83m shouldnt be too big for the usual suspects like the japanese 600's and since you dont sound squid-y and have riding experience I think you'd do fine on one, altough riding something smaller or restricting a 600 can't hurt either

NessedUpProductions

Wannabie Member
Mar 15, 2013
www.youtube.com
I ride a
YZ 250/ KLX 110/ KTM 450
Dr Kongo said:
I have no clue about offroad riding and how it relates to street riding but for the street I suggest Twist of the Wrist 2 in book or movie version (or both :) seriously, some things are explained differently in each version )

1,83m shouldnt be too big for the usual suspects like the japanese 600's and since you dont sound squid-y and have riding experience I think you'd do fine on one, altough riding something smaller or restricting a 600 can't hurt either

Okay, I'll look into that book/movie. Thanks! :D

NessedUpProductions

Wannabie Member
Mar 15, 2013
www.youtube.com
I ride a
YZ 250/ KLX 110/ KTM 450
Nerb said:
BMW S1000RR... there are no alternatives.

Wow, that bike looks awesome, but currently a little out of my price range. Thinking used and around $5000 USD. Thank you for the suggestion though Nerb! Something to dream about :)

NessedUpProductions

Wannabie Member
Mar 15, 2013
www.youtube.com
I ride a
YZ 250/ KLX 110/ KTM 450
What are the major differences between some of the 600cc sport bikes? Seems like all bikes have good years and bad years with each brand. Any brand and/ or years I should avoid or look for?

OKMotorsporter47

Wannabie Member
Jun 17, 2012
Oklahoma
www.youtube.com
I ride a
2013 Triumph Street Triple R
For what you are looking at, i'd say forget the supermoto. Sportbikes are hella fun but given your background I would suggest staying away from the supersports and look into a good streetfighter/naked/standard sportbike. SV650, FZ6r, ninja 650, Honda intercepter maybe, stuff like that.

The handliing on a bike with clipons is 100% different from the bikes you are used to, most of the types I listed before will have aggressive yet upright ergos (like what you are used to), nice and wide handlebars (like you are used to), and an engine tuned more for higher speeds and performance without sacrificing the lowspeed fun like the supersports do.

And based on the budget you mentioned earlier, if you purchased a good used bike like this you would probably have money left over for taxes, title, maybe even a little for insurance.

OKMotorsporter47

Wannabie Member
Jun 17, 2012
Oklahoma
www.youtube.com
I ride a
But if you wanted to seriously look at a 600 supersport, I have ridden the zx6r(owned buy just sold it, not because i didnt like it, just moving on), YZF-R6, CBR600RR, and Daytona 675. Never ridden a GSXR, but hoping to change that soon. Of them all, I hated the r6, would only ride the cbr if nothing else available, and loved the zx and 675. Both were extremely comfortable for supersports, and even competed with some of the streetfighters ive ridden, very powerful (the 675 more so just because of the torque loweer in the rpms), and incredibly fun.

As for model years, couldnt really tell ya. Although as a general rule I try to avoid 1st year of their 1st generation bikes. Its good to give the manufacturers a year or two to work out the kinks IMO.

NessedUpProductions

Wannabie Member
Mar 15, 2013
www.youtube.com
I ride a
YZ 250/ KLX 110/ KTM 450
OKMotorsporter47 said:
For what you are looking at, i'd say forget the supermoto. Sportbikes are hella fun but given your background I would suggest staying away from the supersports and look into a good streetfighter/naked/standard sportbike. SV650, FZ6r, ninja 650, Honda intercepter maybe, stuff like that.

The handliing on a bike with clipons is 100% different from the bikes you are used to, most of the types I listed before will have aggressive yet upright ergos (like what you are used to), nice and wide handlebars (like you are used to), and an engine tuned more for higher speeds and performance without sacrificing the lowspeed fun like the supersports do.

And based on the budget you mentioned earlier, if you purchased a good used bike like this you would probably have money left over for taxes, title, maybe even a little for insurance.

Thanks! That helps a lot! I have one buddy that rides an R6, but all the rest of my friends are Harley guys and just think I want something that's a little more dynamic.

Rezus17

Wannabie Member
Mar 2, 2013
Aberdeen, Scotland
I ride a
Suzuki DRZ400SM
Triumph street triple, does everything :) - you wont be hunched over like on a sport bike but you'll still have the power. Very forgiving for the power it has too!

NessedUpProductions

Wannabie Member
Mar 15, 2013
www.youtube.com
I ride a
YZ 250/ KLX 110/ KTM 450
OKMotorsporter47 said:
But if you wanted to seriously look at a 600 supersport, I have ridden the zx6r(owned buy just sold it, not because i didnt like it, just moving on), YZF-R6, CBR600RR, and Daytona 675. Never ridden a GSXR, but hoping to change that soon. Of them all, I hated the r6, would only ride the cbr if nothing else available, and loved the zx and 675. Both were extremely comfortable for supersports, and even competed with some of the streetfighters ive ridden, very powerful (the 675 more so just because of the torque loweer in the rpms), and incredibly fun.

As for model years, couldnt really tell ya. Although as a general rule I try to avoid 1st year of their 1st generation bikes. Its good to give the manufacturers a year or two to work out the kinks IMO.

Yeah, hear on the 1st generation bikes. Except the 2005 first year aluminum frame YZ 450, crazy power and light weight, but that's a dirt bike. Anyway, thanks for all the advice! Now I at least have clue what to research and look for :D

NessedUpProductions

Wannabie Member
Mar 15, 2013
www.youtube.com
I ride a
YZ 250/ KLX 110/ KTM 450
Rezus17 said:
Triumph street triple, does everything :) - you wont be hunched over like on a sport bike but you'll still have the power. Very forgiving for the power it has too!

Those look like cool bikes! I like the idea of a more upright position. Are they considered a "street fighter"?

Rezus17

Wannabie Member
Mar 2, 2013
Aberdeen, Scotland
I ride a
Suzuki DRZ400SM
No it's a "sport standard". That means they'll also be cheaper to insure, and less bits to break if you drop it :)

Also, the big seat makes it way more comfortable than any supersport ;) - capable of long journeys if need be!

OKMotorsporter47

Wannabie Member
Jun 17, 2012
Oklahoma
www.youtube.com
I ride a
I would call the Striple a street fighter/standard sport, but strret fighter sounds better! I rode my friends 09 Street Triple (standard, not the "R") and loved it so much I didnt even care that hers was bright pink, and I had just hopped off my ZX! I rode that sucker all over town! Check out the dyno charts on them! Great horsepower and...

INSTANT AND CONTINUOUS TORQUE! :twisted:

NessedUpProductions

Wannabie Member
Mar 15, 2013
www.youtube.com
I ride a
YZ 250/ KLX 110/ KTM 450
OKMotorsporter47 said:
I would call the Striple a street fighter/standard sport, but strret fighter sounds better! I rode my friends 09 Street Triple (standard, not the "R") and loved it so much I didnt even care that hers was bright pink, and I had just hopped off my ZX! I rode that sucker all over town! Check out the dyno charts on them! Great horsepower and...

INSTANT AND CONTINUOUS TORQUE! :twisted:

Sounds like a killer bike to start looking at :D

Miggs7170

Wannabie Member
Jun 22, 2012
Cape Town, South Africa
www.youtube.com
I ride a
GSXR 600
OKMotorsporter47 said:

+1 on the v-twin 650. They're torquey, fun, great sound, confidence inspiring, and much cheaper to insure than an inline four (supersport). I road one for about a year.

That being said, I own and love a GSXR 600.

Happy hunting, and let us know what you end up with :)

NessedUpProductions

Wannabie Member
Mar 15, 2013
www.youtube.com
I ride a
YZ 250/ KLX 110/ KTM 450
Miggs7170 said:
+1 on the v-twin 650. They're torquey, fun, great sound, confidence inspiring, and much cheaper to insure than an inline four (supersport). I road one for about a year.

That being said, I own and love a GSXR 600.

Happy hunting, and let us know what you end up with :)

Thanks! :D

NastyEvilNinja

4 wheel racer, 2 wheel lunatic
Feb 18, 2012
South Birmingham, UK
I ride a
Honda VTR1000 Firestorm, Yamaha FZR600R
NessedUpProductions said:
What are the major differences between some of the 600cc sport bikes?

None that you'll ever notice! :mrgreen:

Even a mid-90s 600 will blow your mind at first, and have plenty of power for you.

Bear in mind the newer the bike, the smaller they've made it. Have a sit on a few and see which size seems to fit you best. They'll all feel weird as if you're kneeling on top of a bench, holding the front wheel axle between your hands.

Welcome to the club. You'll love it! :cool:

TitoRide

Wannabie Member
Apr 17, 2013
Texas
I ride a
2007 Honda 919
Dr Kongo said:

I got the movie version of Twist of the Wrist. Horrible acting but very good information. So good that it's worth getting through the acting.
I haven't seen the book. I like the DVD though because of the demonstrations. I learn better that way then trying to read.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts