Specs Needed To Run Video Editing On Pc

Joshjay2

Wannabie Member
Sep 3, 2016
I ride a
Grom and Yamaha c3
so I'm getting a new PC soonish and wanting to know what minimum specs would be good for editing, my current pc isn't so great for editing but I need to keep price of the tower or lap top at $500 canadain dollars so probably go with a tower.
I'm guessing quad core 8 gb ram is at 2 gh or higher is enough with decent external video card..might just wait for Black Friday sale were close enough to it now

F4celess

Cold
Dec 20, 2015
I ride a
Yamaha Fazer
An Intel i5 quad, 8 gigs of RAM and a dedicated low-end gaming GPU would be the absolute minimum in my book, With your budget I think you can go with a midrange GPU and 16GB of RAM. I don't know the market over there though, there are tons of guides on picking parts for video editing online, so take a look at those.
Make sure you get a reasonably fast hard drive with enough space as well as an SSD for the OS.

If you have a preferred software, make sure you get the GPU brand it favors if any.

Joshjay2

Wannabie Member
Sep 3, 2016
I ride a
Grom and Yamaha c3
Oh damn ya a I guess 5400 rpm hard driven ain't that awesome anymore if I have to go abit over budget I will but ya I'll need some pretty decent specs on it to run video ..the cost of vlogging ..sigh hahah

F4celess

Cold
Dec 20, 2015
I ride a
Yamaha Fazer
Oh damn ya a I guess 5400 rpm hard driven ain't that awesome anymore if I have to go abit over budget I will but ya I'll need some pretty decent specs on it to run video ..the cost of vlogging ..sigh hahah

go for a 7200rpm HDD, its only to avoid waiting forever for files to load. Also try being picky about the drive not powering down in order to save energy, its superannoying when you want to do something, and it stalls for 3-4 seconds just to spin the drive back up before accessing the files.

OOmpiMoto

motovlogging n00b
Aug 12, 2016
Gold Coast, QLD
I ride a
2007 ER-6n
Most of the popular editing software packages have support for CUDA (Nvidia) for rendering. This can make a significant difference with render times.
Also if you can afford an additional smallish SSD get one to dedicate for a scratch disk. This should help with previews etc during editing.

Joshjay2

Wannabie Member
Sep 3, 2016
I ride a
Grom and Yamaha c3
thanks for the info everyone definitely going to be making sure to spend abit more time and money for the right tower..anyone running dual
monitors ? I was thinking one 27 inch but now thinking 2 smaller might be better

F4celess

Cold
Dec 20, 2015
I ride a
Yamaha Fazer
anyone running dual
monitors ? I was thinking one 27 inch but now thinking 2 smaller might be better

Running 3 monitors atm, using just 1 feels weird now. Its a couple of 24" and a 13" Wacom graphic tablet for art and stuff, but it doubles as a monitor.

OOmpiMoto

motovlogging n00b
Aug 12, 2016
Gold Coast, QLD
I ride a
2007 ER-6n
thanks for the info everyone definitely going to be making sure to spend abit more time and money for the right tower..anyone running dual
monitors ? I was thinking one 27 inch but now thinking 2 smaller might be better[/QUOTE

2 24" here.... much easier to work with alot of things

V_Vlogger

Ride Till The END!
Aug 11, 2016
South Wales Valleys
I ride a
BMW K1200R
Also go 64-bit......
My laptop manages ok but not brilliant! quad-core A6, 6gb ram (looking to put more in) and radeon R4 graphics
using Sony Vegas 13

DanielJ

Wannabie Member
Sep 5, 2016
I ride a
Ninja ZX6R.
Yeah, can imagine the machine used, for running Video Editing software, would need to be pretty powerful. Dealing with a lot of large media files, audio, visual plus sound effects. Overlays etc etc. Perhaps up there with gaming PC's ?

Just last night I was trying to knock up a quick filtering video in [COUGH] Windows Movie Maker! :rolleyes:... after the 4th time the Application CRASHED, while just trying to mix up 3 or 4 videos taken, with very basic effects, I gave up! :mad:

Plus my machine would be considered intermediate by todays standards (hardware specs).

DanielJ

Wannabie Member
Sep 5, 2016
I ride a
Ninja ZX6R.
No amount of computing power can counter for a shitty software.

Yes, the frustration!! :mad: But before committing to PAYING for decent video editing software, I will invest in a decent Cam though first, One that doesn't decide its had enough and just stop recording, at its own convenience (Mobius)! :rolleyes:

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts