So how are they doing it?

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
No, I can start and stop both of my cameras easily while riding. To sync them up I just add a clap at the start, that makes it easy to sync when editing.

I did that once, and it was a PITA to get them synced. I didn't clap though, so that might be it, but my Hero 8 picks up so much wind noise at speed that the audio would be unusable anyway. I just guessed, got close, and then fine-tuned it from there.

The footage is actually in my latest vlog, wherein I rode to All-American Harley. Everything from my "check in time" to the dealership was synced manually, as I described above.

-John

Loki2W

Wannabie Member
Feb 19, 2021
Vietnam
I ride a
CB650R
Once you get to a certain point, you don't need to do the editing yourself.
Hiring an editor is super easy these days and your vlogs never anything more than a 1 man crew.
A youtuber's job is to be creative, the other guy can take care of the technical stuff.

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
I'm with Hippo, I love the editing aspect of motovlogging and I would never pay someone else to do it for me. I'd simply stop motovlogging if I got that tired of it! :p

Reactions: Drakhen99

Apr 6, 2018
Taking a full day off for every day of shooting would be cost prohibitive on a trip. Even one day off for three just sitting around editing seems to be counter to hitting the open road and riding free as the wind.

Imagine riding across country with some iron butt rider and during talking you say, "Sorry, I got to interrupt this momentum of the trip and tie into the web after I edit for a while."

I would be kickstand up and one state away by the time that mess got halfway done. :rolleyes:
It's not cost prohibitive when your channel is what is paying for the trip.
I interviewed Noraly years ago, when no one heard of her and she called me the "expert" because I had like 1200 subscribers ( I think she had 100).... Now she's gained about 900k to the 4k I've gained haha.

Anyway, at first she was paying out of pocket. Now based on the number of views she'd get per day, I'd say her channel is doing an excellent job of funding her travel.

The problem is, you're looking at it like it's just a motorcycle travel adventure... but it isn't that. It's a business. That girl puts in as many hours editing and working every day as she does riding. Sometimes probably much more.

I was the first person to leave a comment on her channel. Before long she had to have her parents take over moderating the comments because of how many terrible ones she was getting. Maybe it's not your goal of how you'd like to travel the world, but it isn't your trip, it's hers. She's doing it her way. I say good for her.

Reactions: HippoDrone

Apr 6, 2018
I'm with Hippo, I love the editing aspect of motovlogging and I would never pay someone else to do it for me. I'd simply stop motovlogging if I got that tired of it! :p
God, not me. I take 3 takes for everything, minimum. At the end of it I never wanna hear my voice again. Then the next week I do it all over lol.

• Haha
Reactions: HippoDrone

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
It's not cost prohibitive when your channel is what is paying for the trip.

Everyone here who has a channel that pays for all the expenses of a trip raise your hand...

tumbleweed-lonely.gif

Yeah, hanging out during the trip just to edit is cost prohibitive. I was talking about real riding vs. having a support crew to run everything behind the scenes.

Now if your channel covers the expense of outsourcing all the work and you are making enough income to pay the bills then great!

But most of the folks on the forum are small one person operations. Staging shots and redoing takes is really professional but it also really time consuming so the creator has to make some hard choices. Do I take the hour or so to review the footage and reshoot or do I stick to a schedule of moving on down the line? Then there is the choice of genuine vs. overproduced.

I can tell from experience other riders that are not motovloggers do not get the time and effort to prep the cameras, battery swaps, etc. When they are ready to roll, they get ancy.

tumbleweed-lonely.gif

Apr 6, 2018
LOL - Do you think Itchy Boots' channel was paying for the trip when she started?

When she reached out to me in 2018, no one had heard of her, she only had a couple hundred subscribers, but she had already crossed the Himalayas.

It's an investment. It requires principal. It has paid off for her many times over.

It isn't cost prohibitive. She just wanted it more than we do. Otherwise we would sell our junk and live off of the money made while we ride around the world too lol. But we aren't. Because we're too lazy, unmotivated, or don't care enough. I'm not afraid to admit that lol. So let's now throw stones from our glass houses.

R-Rated

Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
Because we're too lazy, unmotivated, or don't care enough. I'm not afraid to admit that lol. So let's now throw stones from our glass houses.
Hey pal, not sure why you assume we are all too lazy and unmotivated and then say don't throw stones in the same line of thought. Seem's pretty insulting to anyone to put that statement out like that. I hope you feel better soon because that is really way off the rails conduct.

The original post was questioning how big channels reportedly do all their work on the fly and upload high resolution content when the guy found in reality the uploading is spotty at best.

My point is some of the big channels are not what they seem when it comes to the content put out and so we should be mindful of that when trying to compare.

Apr 6, 2018
Firstly, if you're going to quote me, just quote me properly lol. I didn't say lazy and unmotivated were the only two reasons. I also offered "don't care enough." as another option. No need to get hot and bothered lol

She sold her home and her possessions to fund her trip.

If you and I aren't selling our homes and possessions to go on an international motorcycle trip, is it not safe to say we either don't care enough, are too lazy, or just aren't motivated to?

Seems totally rational and fair to me. And as mentioned, I included myself in that list. Nothing to get sensitive over.

R-Rated

Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
Firstly, if you're going to quote me, just quote me properly lol. I didn't say lazy and unmotivated were the only two reasons. I also offered "don't care enough." as another option. No need to get hot and bothered lol

She sold her home and her possessions to fund her trip.

If you and I aren't selling our homes and possessions to go on an international motorcycle trip, is it not safe to say we either don't care enough, are too lazy, or just aren't motivated to?

Seems totally rational and fair to me. And as mentioned, I included myself in that list. Nothing to get sensitive over.
I am not sensitive, just confused why you would say that regardless of including yourself?
Do I need to bang both your heads together guys?

Sorry Moe! Just trying to keep folks spirits up with hope vs. the alternative

stooges-three.gif

Apr 6, 2018
Same reasons I don't work for NASA. Why look at it as a bad thing if I'm happy with where I'm at? Likewise, why hold it against anyone who did want to make that level of sacrifice? I don't think I'm being unreasonable...

R-Rated

Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
Same reasons I don't work for NASA. Why look at it as a bad thing if I'm happy with where I'm at? Likewise, why hold it against anyone who did want to make that level of sacrifice? I don't think I'm being unreasonable...
I am not holding a person's success against them as long as it is based on truth and genuine.

But back to the original post -

A small creator asked how is what the bigger channels portray possible when reality is uploading like that is not feasible.

So instead of comparing ourselves to some big channel we should look and see if what is there is true first.

Since the answer is no, traveling across US west of the Mississippi is going to be near impossible to edit, upload, and keep on the move then the small creator should not be disheartened.

Instead, we look at alternatives to make what we want to produce possible and share those ideas based on our own experiences. Of course some ideas are more feasible and within the means of a small creator than others.

My advice is don't compare what you do with what (insert name drop) does because for one of them are several others that tried the same and did not have the same results.

I have seem a lot more smaller creators below 1.5k subs put quality content that really deserve more than have gotten out of the YouTube game.

So it has little to do with essentially wanting it bad enough.

Apr 6, 2018
In 2018 I got an email from a stranger on the other side of the world. She said she was going to make a career out of riding around the world.

She was right.

Someone's attitude about success says a lot about how much of it that person is going to have.

Last edited by a moderator:

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
Someone's attitude about success says a lot about how much of it that person is going to have.
This is why I could never do what Noraly and many other "large" motovloggers do. I want to keep riding as something fun for me and not turn it into a job or career, something I HAVE to do.

Also, I don't work for NASA because the benefits aren't good enough. Yep, that's the only reason I don't work for NASA.... :p

Apr 6, 2018
And that's the difference between can't and won't. You could be a Noraly, but like me, you aren't motivated to be. Different strokes for different folks! :)

nophix

Where's my coffee?
Apr 15, 2012
Stevens Point WI
I ride a
2015 Yamaha FJ-09
It's simply the difference between a monetized production and us goofy folks with helmet cams. When it's a produced affair, there is always going to be some smoke and mirrors. The full timers are definitely taking days off to edit and upload, and they can because it isn't a vacation for them. it's their job. The bike is a tool in the overall business model, not an escape to adventure.

It does take some of the adventure out of it I'm sure, but they do still get to see and do things most won't, and share them with us.

Quite honestly, the editing and uploading day for these big dogs is probably a welcome break given where some of them are riding.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts