Scramblers

burlyjack

The bearded dude with a cool YouTube
Oct 10, 2015
Oklahoma, USA
I ride a
2004 Honda VTX 1300
I've been noticing the resurrection of scrambler inspired bikes coming along with the rebranding of companies like Indian and Triumph. A scrambler is basically a dirt bike before dirt bikes were a thing. People would take bikes like the Indian Scout or something and put big knobby tires on it and few other upgrades. They had about 2 inches of suspension travel so they were practically hitting these trails and hills with hardtails. Its what they used in the old videos if the Hollister hill climb competitions and other events. If your into the history of big events like Sturgis, these are definitely good videos to watch. I think it's pretty cool and it's certainly something I'd be interested in building. I love the old-school look sprinkled with modern tech like EFI and LED lighting. Has anyone taken on a project like this?

Arctic Pride

L Plate Member
Mar 3, 2014
I ride a
lot of different things
I rode the triumph, pretty underwhelming for the $. I've thought about looking for one in salvage after I'm done with my Ducati project.

burlyjack

Oct 10, 2015
Oklahoma, USA
I ride a
2004 Honda VTX 1300
My dad had an Indian Chieftain and even though it was ugly, it rode like a friggin dream. I haven't ever ridden any of the smaller, sportier bikes like the HD sportster the Bonneville or anything. That's kind of disappointing about the Triumph. That was a possible contender for my next bike.

JoshAFJ

Because Motorcycle
Sep 21, 2016
Cincinnati, OH
I ride a
07 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
I love the old school styling that some companies have been coming out with in general. I like the sramblers but I don't think I would drop the money on one. I would get a new sportbike or a supermoto first personally.

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
I noticed some folks taking Sportsters and going trail riding. Nothing like motocross though.

I have been craving doing that since Sportsters are pretty cheap here in the US. But alas, I don't have the disposable income.

Maybe I need a Kickstarter campaign (pun intended)

Arctic Pride

L Plate Member
Mar 3, 2014
I ride a
lot of different things
With all the people asking for hand outs these days I'd say its a great time of year for a change bucket outside the grocery store! :D

Reactions: burlyjack

burlyjack

Oct 10, 2015
Oklahoma, USA
I ride a
2004 Honda VTX 1300
I love the old school styling that some companies have been coming out with in general. I like the sramblers but I don't think I would drop the money on one. I would get a new sportbike or a supermoto first personally.
Yeah I'm still holding out for my baby blue and white Heritage that someone is going to donate to the Burlyjack motovlog channel lol. You could buy a cheap Sportster and do it. Throw some big knobby tires on that dude, slap some new rear shocks on, drop the front fender, new pipes and call it good. Everything is easy with imaginary money.

burlyjack

Oct 10, 2015
Oklahoma, USA
I ride a
2004 Honda VTX 1300
I noticed some folks taking Sportsters and going trail riding. Nothing like motocross though.

I have been craving doing that since Sportsters are pretty cheap here in the US. But alas, I don't have the disposable income.

Maybe I need a Kickstarter campaign (pun intended)
Lol Kickstarter campaign. Love it. If you set out in front of a store make sure to use your Pans to get the money.

Reactions: R-Rated

JoshAFJ

Because Motorcycle
Sep 21, 2016
Cincinnati, OH
I ride a
07 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
Yeah I'm still holding out for my baby blue and white Heritage that someone is going to donate to the Burlyjack motovlog channel lol. You could buy a cheap Sportster and do it. Throw some big knobby tires on that dude, slap some new rear shocks on, drop the front fender, new pipes and call it good. Everything is easy with imaginary money.

Yea money does seem to be the issue haha

Reactions: burlyjack

BlakShadow

The Masshole
Sep 26, 2016
Massachusetts
I ride a
Honda Shadow ACE 1100
Scramblers are cool, but I'm still seriously pondering that Chinese Hawk 250 dual sport as a second bike. If I'm gonna do dirt I want a bike that's set up for it with more than just knobbies.

burlyjack

Oct 10, 2015
Oklahoma, USA
I ride a
2004 Honda VTX 1300
Scramblers are cool, but I'm still seriously pondering that Chinese Hawk 250 dual sport as a second bike. If I'm gonna do dirt I want a bike that's set up for it with more than just knobbies.

I think it's more of a "hey that's cool" type thing. Like people building old school hardtail bikes with a kick start. Not very practical, but still neat. It's also a little way to stay in touch with the old roots.

aa000

Wannabie Member
Jan 16, 2017
I ride a
08 R6S
One day I will own a scrambler. They def look like fun bikes

Reize

2 Wheeled Islander
Jan 20, 2016
Singapore
www.reizeprimus.tk
I ride a
DRZ400SM / Shadow 400 ACE / ZX6R
I think it's more of a "hey that's cool" type thing. Like people building old school hardtail bikes with a kick start. Not very practical, but still neat. It's also a little way to stay in touch with the old roots.
When have kick starts not been practical? Especially on smaller bikes. I used to have a 153cc that came with an E-start and a kick start together stock.

The kick start had been a life saver many times hahaha!

I'd go for a 2 week vacation and forget to unplug some electronics from the battery and come back to a dead one (it's a really small battery the size of like 2 male fists). I once even forgot to turn of the ignition after doing some electrical checks and proceeded to wash the bike with the lights on for an hour and the battery died. Every time, I just kick started it back to life, ran around for a couple of hours to recharge the battery and voila.

I wish modern bikes still kept them :\

Reactions: HippoDrone

burlyjack

Oct 10, 2015
Oklahoma, USA
I ride a
2004 Honda VTX 1300
When have kick starts not been practical? Especially on smaller bikes. I used to have a 153cc that came with an E-start and a kick start together stock.

I was referring more towards the big bore bikes like Harley's and Indians. You know, the ones that take your whole body to kick and you hope and pray you don't blow your knees out lol. But yeah it'd still be a nice back up. A drained bettery has left me stranded a few times.

Reize

2 Wheeled Islander
Jan 20, 2016
Singapore
www.reizeprimus.tk
I ride a
DRZ400SM / Shadow 400 ACE / ZX6R
I was referring more towards the big bore bikes like Harley's and Indians. You know, the ones that take your whole body to kick and you hope and pray you don't blow your knees out lol. But yeah it'd still be a nice back up. A drained bettery has left me stranded a few times.
Haha yea, I guess it's pretty impractical on a 800+cc bike. Would be nice if we figured out how to create backup mechanical ignition systems for larger bikes. Maybe a hand crank like the ones they used in old cars that could kill you XD

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts