safety tips from a fighter pilot in MCN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhydian

Wannabie Member
Aug 16, 2012
I ride a
Suzuki Bandit S 600
Valid points but it's not something you can just take aboard and use in real world situations. The best way to stay rubber ride down is to plan ahead, just like chess if you already know where you want to go, how you want to get there and any potential dangers you give yourself time to react to sudden changes around you.

CurlyBlakey

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
South Suffolk, UK
I ride a
2004 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer
I think it's great advice, once you've mastered the basics of forward observation there's some great tips for improvement there and you can tell he really gets what he's talking about!

RoadcraftNottingham

Wannabie Member
Jan 12, 2012
I ride a
Honda Pan Euopean 1100, Aprilia Tuono V4 APRC, Ducati Diavel, CBR600RR-8
I personally found it long winded, confusing and not valid for everyday road use. Why would I want to read a number plate in my peripheral vision? Peripheral vision spots "things" in your side-line of vision, who cares if it's a 2007 Nissan, it's a car, seen, nuff said. This would be helpful if I was doing mach 1 with no other aeroplanes around. He makes it sound like there's no hope for us but there is. We naturally scan with our eyes anyway as long as we're concentrating, the only thing I agree with is that it's harder to see vehicles coming directly at us but with practise and concentration we can do it.

66shinobi

Wannabie Member
Jul 24, 2011
liverpool
I ride a
honda CBF125
i wouldnt say its an all inclusive guide, but i like the idea of applying tips from other areas to a motorcycle context as there isnt much info shared between different communities. id be interested to find what everyones thoughts are specifically on the point of applying three different distance points to juntion checks?

i quite like the idea personally, and can see the reasonings behind it, especially if looked at from a car driver point of view.

currently quite chuffed at getting a reply from you Roadcraft Nottingham. id class you as a bit of an authority on the subject haha.

RoadcraftNottingham

Wannabie Member
Jan 12, 2012
I ride a
Honda Pan Euopean 1100, Aprilia Tuono V4 APRC, Ducati Diavel, CBR600RR-8
lol, thanks. This is only my personal opinion but saying "do 3 checks, close mid and far" seems a little to vague and general to me. If you've done 3 checks and still haven't fully taken everything in, it's still not enough. Each junction and situation needs to be judged on it's own merits and how people look and what they look at is a personal thing. The main danger at junctions is the emerging car mis-judging the speed of oncoming vehicles, I've seen a lot ofYouTube uploads where the bikers going WAY to quick for the conditions, no wonder the car pulls out if he assumes the bike is doing a reasonable speed when in fact he's giving it the beans. It's also down to us as motorcyclists to slow down and move out to give the emerging vehicle more chance of seeing us.

Rhydian

Wannabie Member
Aug 16, 2012
I ride a
Suzuki Bandit S 600
RoadcraftNottingham said:
lol, thanks. This is only my personal opinion but saying "do 3 checks, close mid and far" seems a little to vague and general to me. If you've done 3 checks and still haven't fully taken everything in, it's still not enough. Each junction and situation needs to be judged on it's own merits and how people look and what they look at is a personal thing. The main danger at junctions is the emerging car mis-judging the speed of oncoming vehicles, I've seen a lot ofYouTube uploads where the bikers going WAY to quick for the conditions, no wonder the car pulls out if he assumes the bike is doing a reasonable speed when in fact he's giving it the beans. It's also down to us as motorcyclists to slow down and move out to give the emerging vehicle more chance of seeing us.

You Sir have saved my arse on many occasions with your videos. I would love to see you publishing articles, because they'd be a lot better then the crap these mags seem to publish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts