Ride Alone or Ride with people?

MickFist

Wannabie Member
Aug 20, 2018
Birmingham, UK
I ride a
Yamaha Fazer 600 '98 - The 'Mistress'
I prefer riding with friends - I often use handsfree comms to communicate with them on the ride - if we don't have compatible headsets then dischord or whatsapp audio can work well.

My commute is normally alone - but I always enjoy a chat with fellow riders at the lights, etc
lol no way - never though of Discord or Whatsapp?! Does that take up much data?

Pooley

Wannabe tractor enthusiast
Nov 19, 2019
Derbyshire
I ride a
2003 Honda Deauville 650
I one went on a ride with Midlands Riders (no longer strictly Midlands based!) - there must have been 300+ bikers that morning - very overwhelming for me at the time. Public seemed to love us. Other traffic probably hated us!
I went on one with these guys (vid on my channel) with 450+ bikes, and at times I found it quite unsafe. Normal road laws seemed to go straight out the window and everyone starts doing what they want after the first few miles lol

Definitely an experience though (not one I'm likely to repeat)

TBRD

Throttle Back Rubber Down
Jul 9, 2020
I ride a
2020 BMW S1000XR
I like riding alone but do enjoy getting down to see the family and ride with my brother and dad when time permits. For the most part, however, I like doing my own thing.

MickFist

Wannabie Member
Aug 20, 2018
Birmingham, UK
I ride a
Yamaha Fazer 600 '98 - The 'Mistress'
I went on one with these guys (vid on my channel) with 450+ bikes, and at times I found it quite unsafe. Normal road laws seemed to go straight out the window and everyone starts doing what they want after the first few miles lol

Definitely an experience though (not one I'm likely to repeat)
I have to say, I didn't witness any shenanigans on this one. The marshals would often appear out of no where with a loud as hell exhaust, which annoyed me. Otherwise we were close enough together that no one could do anything silly. You'd get the odd person looking to overtake, but they would wait until it was safe enough to pass. If you had enough room you could move over and let them by.

WheelyPerd

Everywhere @WheeliePerd
May 18, 2017
South Africa
I ride a
Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
lol no way - never though of Discord or Whatsapp?! Does that take up much data?
Also never thought about this.
Did some calculation and on minimum quality in Discord, 100Mb of data can get you 1600 minutes.
Discord allows you to change the quality of voice better than Whatsapp.

Titter

Wannabie Member
Aug 14, 2020
I ride a
Multistrada 1200 and Street Triple 675R
I ride out with 3 or friends most Sundays and on my own mainly if I ride during the week. I also tour twice a year. Once with 3 or 4 people and once with as many as 20 of us. The big group rides can be a nightmare if you get in any traffic which at some point you invariably do.
Most fun I've ever had riding was when I rode up to Scotland for a few days on my own. The freedom to do as you liked was brilliant. I'm a really early riser so was able to get up and start riding and exploring at 5 am. On the ride home I covered 720 miles in a day which I doubt many of my usual ride mates would have fancied doing!

YBGuy

Yellow Backpack Guy
Aug 14, 2020
San Francisco Bay Area
ybguy.com
I ride a
2005 RC51, and a 2004 Honda CBR1000RR
I absolutely understand. It's a shame that some can't just ride to enjoy the ride.

In California (Bay Area specifically), we have a place called Alice's Restaurant which is similar to your pub which is a meet for many bikers. The best part is that we get a really scenic ride. Where are you from?
Hi CafeBrakes!

Sounds like you are from the SF Bay Area as well? That's cool, I am out in the East East Bay in the land called Brentwood. : )

I'm so glad to have discovered this forum, so many nice, REAL people. : D

YBGuy

motosera

Weirdo, mosher, freak
Jun 4, 2020
Cambridgeshire UK
www.motosera.com
I ride a
Honda CBR1100XX and Buel XB9R Custom
I've recently tried being less of a loner and riding with a few friends.... just seems that most people don't want to, despite asking if anything is happening, or if people fancy a ride out. Its been too hot, too wet, the wrong time or whatever. But I've never been asked by any 'mates' in return. Funny that...

The only person I regularly ride with is my girlfriend, we both have very similar riding styles and have intercoms too so it makes it a pleasure!

I'm trying to organise a little ride while we are on our short tour. Seems there's more people around that way who are willing to meet up.

Reactions: HippoDrone

Meifesto

Semi-Suicidal Dutchie
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
The grouprides here are now more and more. Everybody seems to be in an urge to catch up lost riding time due to corona.
So some weekends might have 10 different grouprides planned xD

It does give the luxury to choose which one suits the best (or which one is the closest one).
And smaller groups, as people are spread out more.

Reactions: YBGuy

AlanSmith7

Wannabie Member
Aug 17, 2020
I ride a
Suzuki Hayabusa
Harley Davidson Dyna Fatbob
I do prefer riding solo and on specific rally rides like Sturgis, I prefer to ride with some mates.

sfbayrider

Wannabie Member
Aug 20, 2020
I ride a
2017 Yamaha FZ-10
2017 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
I'm sure most of us ride alone or maybe I'm wrong haha. Which do you guys prefer? I like to ride alone most of the time. I'm very picky with who I ride with.

I prefer to ride alone, Ive been riding for many years and have seen what could happen in group rides first hand: some things can't be unseen and/or forgotten.

CafeBrakes

Coffee Brakes
Jul 26, 2019
www.youtube.com
I ride a
2018 Yamaha R3
2014 Honda CBR1000RR
I prefer to ride alone, Ive been riding for many years and have seen what could happen in group rides first hand: some things can't be unseen and/or forgotten.
I agree with you. Especially in the Bay Area, people get out of hand almost all the time in big group rides.

CafeBrakes

Coffee Brakes
Jul 26, 2019
www.youtube.com
I ride a
2018 Yamaha R3
2014 Honda CBR1000RR
Hi CafeBrakes!

Sounds like you are from the SF Bay Area as well? That's cool, I am out in the East East Bay in the land called Brentwood. : )

I'm so glad to have discovered this forum, so many nice, REAL people. : D

YBGuy
Hey! I literally rode in Brentwood just the past month. My friend and I met up with a friend who lives there and literally rode all over town. It feels like Florida up there with the giant lakes. I ride in East Bay all the time.

This forum is great! We should ride sometime!

Meifesto

Semi-Suicidal Dutchie
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R

But that is also depending on who you ride with, and the size of the group. ;)

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts