YBGuy

Yellow Backpack Guy
Aug 14, 2020
San Francisco Bay Area
ybguy.com
I ride a
2005 RC51, and a 2004 Honda CBR1000RR
Yes, and for work meetings.
I use it more for my B-roll, and non riding footage shots. Most my riding shots are now shot with the purple panda. But there is still more work to be done there too because I keep messing with the mic location on my helmet (thinking I'll find a better spot), so far the best spot is really right inside the chin guard area, other areas just pick up too much wind noise or the sound is muffled, or both.

This is my go to mounting position at the moment:
76621-jpg.jpg
76622-jpg.jpg

Ignore the massive sized windscreen though, that is the WS1 I was testing a few weeks ago, haha.

Last edited:

Pooley

Wannabe tractor enthusiast
Nov 19, 2019
Derbyshire
I ride a
2003 Honda Deauville 650
Would a mobile phone recorder app work? Modern smartphones have pretty good sound hardware and would work as a basic recorder for voice overs I reckon :)

Reactions: YBGuy

YBGuy

Yellow Backpack Guy
Aug 14, 2020
San Francisco Bay Area
ybguy.com
I ride a
Would a mobile phone recorder app work? Modern smartphones have pretty good sound hardware and would work as a basic recorder for voice overs I reckon :)
They cell phone might work but I like the fact my Hero4 and mic are in sync with not post-editing effort. But for B-roll, and desktop recordings, sure, the phone mic is probably enough for most people. : )

Teh Purp

Friendly Neighbourhood Idiot
Aug 9, 2020
SCOTLAND!
I ride a
SFV650, NC700x, anything im given
to be fair, its usually a toss up between a decent quality USB mic and a more universal jack type mic, you can definitly use a jack mic with significantly more things, but iv noticed they tend to be a little harder to use in this price range, or shit. like sometimes they will need an amp of sorts inline to get enough power into them, phantom power, or something. like a decent quality lav mic, they can do the job really well sometimes in certain situations, but they can also sound flat (like no badd and all trebel, something like rather than audio flat) as all hell if set up uincorrectly, or it might just be a part of that mic.

Reactions: Meifesto and YBGuy

YBGuy

Yellow Backpack Guy
Aug 14, 2020
San Francisco Bay Area
ybguy.com
I ride a
to be fair, its usually a toss up between a decent quality USB mic and a more universal jack type mic, you can definitly use a jack mic with significantly more things, but iv noticed they tend to be a little harder to use in this price range, or shit. like sometimes they will need an amp of sorts inline to get enough power into them, phantom power, or something. like a decent quality lav mic, they can do the job really well sometimes in certain situations, but they can also sound flat (like no badd and all trebel, something like rather than audio flat) as all hell if set up uincorrectly, or it might just be a part of that mic.
That is why I prefer my Blue Yeti USB mic, no line noise I have to worry about. This is for desktop editing and b-roll narration shots. It is nice to have a mic that is directly plugged into the computer because it is much easier to show how-to videos when you have mic plugged into the computer (having things in sync is so much easier than trying to figure it out in post production). For on-board ride recording I use the Hero4 with the Purple Panda.

Reactions: Meifesto

CVentures

Rookie Rider
Aug 28, 2020
Maine
www.youtube.com
I ride a
2017 Beta 300RR
This is going to sound crazy and i would be curious to hear some of your feedback on my voiceover mic, but I do all of my editing on my ipad pro and my voiceovers are directly into the ipad pro using its built in Mic. How poorly does it sound ?

Meifesto

Semi-Suicidal Dutchie
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R

I have played with that for sure.
But it feels a bit "flat" and think it is something that is good to improve.

The Beringer c-1u is really interesting and affordable, so am digging into that at the moment ;)

Reactions: YBGuy and Teh Purp

Meifesto

Semi-Suicidal Dutchie
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
That is why I prefer my Blue Yeti USB mic, no line noise I have to worry about. This is for desktop editing and b-roll narration shots. It is nice to have a mic that is directly plugged into the computer

This is one of the main reason.
Together with green screen possibilities and working on possible "winter series" ;)

Reactions: YBGuy

Teh Purp

Friendly Neighbourhood Idiot
Aug 9, 2020
SCOTLAND!
I ride a
SFV650, NC700x, anything im given
Purple panda is what i want for on the bike as well. But no creditcard, so no option to buy it yet ;)
One day for sure.
im definitly on this boat, im not happy with my make shift sena one that i made the adapter that was made with hot glue.... but it "works" lol

Meifesto

Semi-Suicidal Dutchie
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
The Behringer C-1U has arrived :)
Did a quick try-out for the video that will be live today.

Needed to find a program to record with, so for now i have installed "Audacity"
Seems to work great, although i need to play with the recorded volume, which is to low at this moment.

So much to experiment and learn, but new challenges do keep the content fresh :)

YBGuy

Yellow Backpack Guy
Aug 14, 2020
San Francisco Bay Area
ybguy.com
I ride a
The Behringer C-1U has arrived :)
Did a quick try-out for the video that will be live today.

Needed to find a program to record with, so for now i have installed "Audacity"
Seems to work great, although i need to play with the recorded volume, which is to low at this moment.

So much to experiment and learn, but new challenges do keep the content fresh :)
Audacity let's you normalize audio which should help with low volume levels.

Reactions: Meifesto

Ponkster

Wannabie Member
Aug 30, 2020
I ride a
VN 1500 rat sidecar rig and a Yamaha FZS/R1/R6/ other hybrid rat bike called "Rattus"
I use a rode smartlav and record on an iphone 4s with an audio app - seems to work well . I have a quallity desk mic but I never use it as the lav mic works so well

Reactions: HippoDrone

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
I use my GoPro Hero 8 with the Media Mod for off-bike stuff, Purple Panda lapel mic for on-bike and windy off-bike situations. Works pretty well.

Reactions: HippoDrone

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts