Recommended Engine oil

M0C70R

Wannabie Member
Mar 17, 2018
India
I ride a
Suzuki GSX 150F
Hey guys, I wanted to ask you guys a question. In your country, does the manufacturer recommend the brand type of an engine oil for your motorcycle? And is this tied up with your warranty?

Because here in India, the manufacturers of the motorcycles of local models recommend the brand type of an engine oil and if we dont use it, it voids our warranty.

Reactions: R-Rated

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
In the US there is law on auto warranties https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0138-auto-warranties-routine-maintenance

Same applies to motorcycles. For example I have a VW Beetle. VW has a list of oils it tested and met their standards. Since the list has several manufacturers then VW is compliant with the law. However, if VW required me to only have the oil changed at their dealer then they would be in violation.

I don't know of any other auto or bike manufacturers that have a list of oils. Nearly all have certain weights and motorcycles have a specific formula of oil they need depending on their clutches.

https://mobiloil.com/en/faq/ask-our...ts/difference-between-car-and-motorcycle-oils

Last edited:
Reactions: M0C70R

M0C70R

Wannabie Member
Mar 17, 2018
India
I ride a
Suzuki GSX 150F
However, if VW required me to only have the oil changed at their dealer then they would be in violation.

That is a very nice system you got there. Unfortuantely we dont have anything similar here and manufacturers are at free to exploit the customers.

So basically if we get our service maintenance done at a place that is not an Authorized service center and if we use any engine oil other than the only 3 they have recommended, our warranty gets void.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
In the UK bike manufacturers recommend an oil from a specific company and state the grade required. If we use a comparable oil then that is fine. You shouldn't mix oils though as they can react to each other.
If in your country you have to use a specific oil then I'd use that oil.

Reactions: R-Rated and M0C70R

Theodor

Don't wannabe
Nov 16, 2017
Estonia
I ride a
Valkyrie 1500
I have not read manuals of new motorcycles, but I have seen few car manuals. They usually state 1 or 2 recommended oils. Using a different one will not void the warranty, as long as it is the same purpose oil. There are some other quirks to it though. VAG vehicles, for example, will vary the maintenance interval, based on which kind of oil you use. So if you go with not recommended oil, you will need to do the oil change much sooner.

Reactions: M0C70R

Undead MV

If there is light, there shall be dark
Oct 9, 2017
Mexico City
I ride a
Bajaj Avenger Street 220
I recommend you to use an oil that meets or exeeds the JASO and MA2 stardards, i guess they're international

SM26

Supermoto isn't just a bike, it's a way of life
Oct 29, 2015
Israel
I ride a
Husqvarna 701SM 2018
Hey guys, I wanted to ask you guys a question. In your country, does the manufacturer recommend the brand type of an engine oil for your motorcycle? And is this tied up with your warranty?

Because here in India, the manufacturers of the motorcycles of local models recommend the brand type of an engine oil and if we dont use it, it voids our warranty.
In my country (Israel)
The manufacturer always list a type of oil, and sometimes a brand of oil.
The local importer always list a type as well, and almost never a brand.
(99% of the time, if an importer adds a brands, it will be a brand of oil he imports as well, for obvious reasons)

Using a different brand doesn't voids your warranty, but different type is.
I can use whichever brand I want, as long as it JASO MA (or better; MA2), API SJ (or better; SL, SM, SN), 5W40-10W60, Full synthetic.

I recommend you to use an oil that meets or exeeds the JASO and MA2 stardards, i guess they're international
FYI, JASO is a Japanese standard, and it's used for wet clutches.
If you ride a scooter, a bike with dry clutch (some Ducati) or with oils separation (CRF450X of some years)
JASO is not needed, and often you'll be better of not using it.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts