Psa: Avoid Using Dhl When Shipping Your Online Purchases

Reize

2 Wheeled Islander
Jan 20, 2016
Singapore
www.reizeprimus.tk
I ride a
DRZ400SM / Shadow 400 ACE / ZX6R
Hi guys, as you all know we as motorcyclists, or anyone for that matter, sometimes do shop online for stuff we really can't get in our vicinity.

And as motorcyclists most of the stuff we order online tend to either be parts, or gear, and they may or may not be dutiable, depending on where you live.

But one thing is constant. If you end up having to pay a duty for the stuff you buy, turns out DHL charges you an "Advance Payment" for the service of clearing customs for you. In all my life I have never had a courier peg additional charges on top of the amount paid for duties and taxes.

I had recently bought a lens for my camera, a microphone and recorder from B&H. And based on my country's import laws a duty had to be paid on purchases over SGD400 which of course my items were much more expensive than. DHL Express was used, and they handled both the collection and delivery in both countries, and I was surprised when I calculated my dutiable fees to be over by SGD20. Turns out it was said "Advance Payment". An interest on the "loan" of SGD71 used to pay the duties if you will. This is literally worse than going to a loan shark.

For a company handling both ends of the delivery and should know such duties would apply, they did not relay the costs upfront through the merchant, nor did not give me the chance to clear customs personally without their assistance. Personally I find such practices unethical and scummy.

In the future be smart, if you're buying a jacket of helmet or whatever, make sure your merchant never ships it with DHL.

Reactions: R-Rated

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
In the UK they all have an admin fee for paying the customs fees for you. It is always worth factoring in the customs and admin fees when buying from a different country as it can be cheaper to get your local bike shop to get hold of things for you.

Reactions: R-Rated

Reize

2 Wheeled Islander
Jan 20, 2016
Singapore
www.reizeprimus.tk
I ride a
DRZ400SM / Shadow 400 ACE / ZX6R
Just kinda pissed they weren't upfront or included in the costs though. USPS doesn't do this, Japan Post doesn't do this, Singpost doesn't do this. I'm starting to see a pattern though, they're all national postal services, versus private couriers.

Huh.

Reactions: HippoDrone

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts