Post videos a few days earlier to Patreon?

MotoWolfUK

L Plate Member
Mar 4, 2023
Hampshire, UK
linktr.ee
I ride a
Wife
So I’ve not even started my journey yet, but I’m planning to set everything up perfectly and also for back-up reasons I plan to use Patreon to also store my future vids.

So I noticed something weird when watching a popular MotoVlog channel yesterday - his new upload had comments from 6 days ago.

How does this work? I mean does he upload as unlisted and link the video on Patreon and then somehow release the video properly on YT after?

Thoughts?

Ps: sorry I’ve asked so many questions lately lol

Theodor

Don't wannabe
Nov 16, 2017
Estonia
I ride a
Valkyrie 1500
I have always wondered that too. If you need to publish every video manually, this might be rather inconvenient to keep up a steady publishing hour.

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
I admit I've noticed this on some channels too, but I never really gave it much thought. Good question, however I have no idea what the answer is! :confused:

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I'm not sure how it works TBH, I know Jake The Garden Snake uploads different videos onto his Patreon than he does to YouTube as they are longer and less censored.

Reactions: AlanSmith7

MotoWolfUK

L Plate Member
Mar 4, 2023
Hampshire, UK
linktr.ee
I ride a
Wife
Hello all,

So I was playing around and found out the answer - hopefully it helps someone.

Upload the video as “Unlisted” on YouTube, share the link to Patreon so everyone can watch it and then on the day you want to release to YouTube, click “Publish now” - that’s how people like Spicy110 do it!

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
I figured as much - unlisted until scheduled. @Dewey316 will have me review some of his videos, and he reminds me not to comment on them since those will show up time/date-stamped to days or weeks before the actual publishing of the video.

IIRC, once you schedule a video, it's no longer viewable from the unlisted link - but I upload my videos weeks if not months in advance sometimes, and then schedule them so they all release on a schedule.

-John

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
but I upload my videos weeks if not months in advance sometimes, and then schedule them so they all release on a schedule.
I do this too, but I always set my uploaded vids to "private" after uploading, and then schedule them out when I have all the thumbs/description/etc ready to go. I never considered leaving them as "unlisted"...:oops:

Reactions: Drakhen99

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I'd heard somewhere (no idea if true or myth), that it is best where possible to upload a day or two before going live rather than weeks/months in advance, people like current content, so YouTube plays to that and will promote a newer upload more than a video that has been sitting on their servers doing nothing but taking up space for months... Like I say, no idea if true or not.
If I go on holiday, I'll maybe schedule a few vids for while I'm away, otherwise, I just upload a day or two in advance.

Theodor

Don't wannabe
Nov 16, 2017
Estonia
I ride a
Valkyrie 1500
It would be rather hectic, getting the subtitles and everything done by the time video goes live, like that. I usually take 10-15 min of my lunch break or something, to work on chapters and subtitles. It takes time, just like my editing, I do little bit and then a little bit.

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
I do this too, but I always set my uploaded vids to "private" after uploading, and then schedule them out when I have all the thumbs/description/etc ready to go. I never considered leaving them as "unlisted"...:oops:
I use copyright-free music from several sites, and if you have something listed as Private or Scheduled for more than a week, their license-checker algorithm screws up and your videos get flagged.

Hence the Unlisted.

-John

Reactions: HippoDrone

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
I'd heard somewhere (no idea if true or myth), that it is best where possible to upload a day or two before going live rather than weeks/months in advance, people like current content, so YouTube plays to that and will promote a newer upload more than a video that has been sitting on their servers doing nothing but taking up space for months... Like I say, no idea if true or not.
If I go on holiday, I'll maybe schedule a few vids for while I'm away, otherwise, I just upload a day or two in advance.
I wouldn't doubt it, but for me, it is what it is. I do the upload, and while it's processing I create a TN/title/description/tags/etc. and then let it sit until I'm ready to publish it.

I am currently not riding much, and recording less, so I'm burning through the backlog of already-uploaded and already-filmed videos.

I am hoping to be caught up in 6 weeks or so... probably only to start a new backlog.

-John

• Love

MotoWolfUK

L Plate Member
Mar 4, 2023
Hampshire, UK
linktr.ee
I ride a
Wife
I wouldn't doubt it, but for me, it is what it is. I do the upload, and while it's processing I create a TN/title/description/tags/etc. and then let it sit until I'm ready to publish it.

I am currently not riding much, and recording less, so I'm burning through the backlog of already-uploaded and already-filmed videos.

I am hoping to be caught up in 6 weeks or so... probably only to start a new backlog.

-John
On that note - do you batch-record things and then have a few weeks downtime I’m guessing?

PhilTonic

English Kraut
Aug 17, 2014
I ride a
KTM 690 SMC R
I knew who you meant when asking your question.

In my early years I set my videos to public directly, even if they weren't fully processed. The early birds found it hilarous to watch the videos even when they were only available in very low resolution and watched it again in HD later. Like being in a very strange exclusive club.

• Love

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
On that note - do you batch-record things and then have a few weeks downtime I’m guessing?
Sometimes, if I have a few things I want to talk about in a vlog while I'm riding, but generally I record my commutes and talk during the slower portion of it... so I have a LOT of opportunities to record something.

I went out on a few weekend rides in the fall and winter where I recorded footage for 3 or 4 different videos each time. It all added up. I think my backlog got up to almost 50 videos to edit.

-John

MotoWolfUK

L Plate Member
Mar 4, 2023
Hampshire, UK
linktr.ee
I ride a
Wife
Sometimes, if I have a few things I want to talk about in a vlog while I'm riding, but generally I record my commutes and talk during the slower portion of it... so I have a LOT of opportunities to record something.

I went out on a few weekend rides in the fall and winter where I recorded footage for 3 or 4 different videos each time. It all added up. I think my backlog got up to almost 50 videos to edit.

-John
WOAH! 50 vids in backlog to edit?!? Just how big is your channel ‍ hopefully I can’t be as creative as you!

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
WOAH! 50 vids in backlog to edit?!? Just how big is your channel ‍ hopefully I can’t be as creative as you!
My channel is up to about 1,650 subs now... but I record almost all of my rides, and try to come up with something to talk about on them.

I banked a bunch of videos in the fall, anticipating a cold and snowy winter... which we didn't get. So, I ended up riding more, recording more, and getting in the rears with my editing.

Right now I have 10 or 12 videos to edit, from January to March, and 12 I think uploaded & ready to go.

-John

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
I record almost all of my rides, and try to come up with something to talk about on them.
That's something I'd like to do more often, simply ride and talk about random topics which come to mind. I've gotten into a routine of planning what I'm going to talk about or film or show in my videos, and then making a fairly focused video on said topic, but I've always enjoyed watching what I call PURE motovlogs, where it's simply people riding and talking about everything in the world and life.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I very much enjoy watching pure motovlogs more than any other content too, which I guess is why I emulate... I make the content I'd want to watch (I hope anyway lol) :D

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO