Pinlock Visor - Worth The Hype !?

DanielJ

Wannabie Member
Sep 5, 2016
I ride a
Ninja ZX6R.
So, I recently invested in a pinlock ready replacement visor for my helmet. Then on-top of that I obviously bought the pinlock insert. Which cost almost as much as the pinlock ready visor itself !

Functionality - Great, on my commute this morning, visor down the whole time, there was no misting (at least within the area of the pinlock portion)....

However its a CON !! The pinlock insert only covers 3/4 of the inside of the helmet visor (middle portion), meaning there's an inch border outside the pinlock region (all the way around), which is still prone to steaming up.

Also my pinlock insert has dark tint, but the portion of the visor not covered by the insert, still remains clear. So only the centre of my "new" visor looks tinted.... not a smart look.

I think I'm going to go back to my previous Visor purchased, non-pinlock, however entirely tinted and looked the part ! So I have to open it a fraction, to help prevent misting when I stop in traffic (during these colder months), so be it.

[/RANT OVER]

Anyone else had similar experiences?? :rolleyes:

Any tips to help prevent a standard visor steaming up on the inside?

Reactions: ScootWook

BehindBars

bikes <3
Sep 14, 2016
Buckinghamshire, UK
I ride a
2006 Kawasaki ER-6F
All I can say is, my pinlock has never steamed up. But the edges of the visor not covered by the pinlock have on several occaisions.

Some helmets are compatible with pinlock maxvision, which covers a lot more of the visor than ours does. Maybe check this out and see if you can get a maxvision instead?

Reactions: DanielJ

JoshAFJ

Because Motorcycle
Sep 21, 2016
Cincinnati, OH
I ride a
07 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
Before I chin mounted my Go Pro the vent in the front always kept the visor clear for me, but now it's mostly blocked. I just always leave my visor cracked now in the cool mornings or evenings.

The thing is my visor isn't what normally fogs up it's my glasses :/

Reactions: DanielJ

DanielJ

Wannabie Member
Sep 5, 2016
I ride a
Ninja ZX6R.
Cheers for your swift feedback BehindBars! Will certainly look into the maxvision (wasn't aware of this before). LIKED. ;)

Perhaps I came across a little strong in my opening post. But was just outlining my experience with this.

I know you shouldn't compromise on safety, I'd still have a visor down, just with a fraction more mist (non-pinlock). :)

BehindBars

bikes <3
Sep 14, 2016
Buckinghamshire, UK
I ride a
2006 Kawasaki ER-6F
Plus if you get pulled over with a tinted visor in crappy weather some cops aren't very lenient. At least with a pinlock it's removable, cant ride without a visor ;)

DanielJ

Wannabie Member
Sep 5, 2016
I ride a
Ninja ZX6R.
Before I chin mounted my Go Pro the vent in the front always kept the visor clear for me, but now it's mostly blocked. I just always leave my visor cracked now in the cool mornings or evenings.

The thing is my visor isn't what normally fogs up it's my glasses :/

Hey Josh! :) Yeah, that front vent works really well at directing air inside/keeping the visor clear. While moving that is.
Stopped however, with no forced air flow, is when the visor tended to steam up.

I was keeping my previous visor open a fraction to combat the misting. I've read squeezy washing liquid (the green stuff), diluted in water, then rubbed around the inside of the visor helps prevent misting. Haven't tried though.

BehindBars

bikes <3
Sep 14, 2016
Buckinghamshire, UK
I ride a
2006 Kawasaki ER-6F
Spit also works well. I use that method on my mask when I'm diving, spit, rub it in, quick rinse with CLEAN water, air dry and that stops misting pretty well

DanielJ

Wannabie Member
Sep 5, 2016
I ride a
Ninja ZX6R.
^ Decent point on the pinlock being removable, should the law stop me for a tinted visor. Yeah, plus definitely not recommended riding without a visor! Big bugs hurt !! :D Cha, have heard about spit... just like they do in diving snorkels. (just looked back at your comment)... you wrote that too!!! ;)

Considering we are both in the UK - have you been stopped for a tinted visor?

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
Spit also works well. I use that method on my mask when I'm diving, spit, rub it in, quick rinse with CLEAN water, air dry and that stops misting pretty well

I have to say, pinlock on the Shark Evo One is about as good as spit!

I have only opened mine fewer that 100 times and the POS scratched right in the line of sight. Trying to get one online is not much fun either.

Anyone have a good technic to polish out the scratches from a Pinlock?

BehindBars

bikes <3
Sep 14, 2016
Buckinghamshire, UK
I ride a
2006 Kawasaki ER-6F
^ Decent point on the pinlock being removable, should the law stop me for a tinted visor. Yeah, plus definitely not recommended riding without a visor! Big bugs hurt !! :D Cha, have heard about spit... just like they do in diving snorkels. (just looked back at your comment)... you wrote that too!!! ;)

Considering we are both in the UK - have you been stopped for a tinted visor?

Gotta be quicker than that ;)

I've not, though I don't have a tinted visor haha. Partly because they are (technically) illegal, and because my helmet has a built in sunvisor. But I do know of people that have been pulled. Sometimes it's just a warning, others make you change it for a clear one (as if you carry a spare everywhere) or you're going nowhere. If it's a bright sunny day I don't think you'll have a problem, but as it's getting colder and darker I don't expect you'll get as much sympathy in the coming months

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
2016 Street Triple R and a 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
You can get anti fog sprays for regular visors. The treatment needs reapplying quite often though.

DanielJ

Wannabie Member
Sep 5, 2016
I ride a
Ninja ZX6R.
Sounds like you have the wrong visor. Every pin lock I've had goes right to the edges of the opening.

Would like to think that's the case, however main 'pinlock ready' visor plus pinlock insert, are both marketed as specifically for my helmet (to fit together).

The visor has the pins, but no tell-tale ridges, where the pinlock insert would mate up to. So potentially, shaped correctly, a pinlock insert "could" cover the complete inside of the visor. But doesn't.

I've removed this now, and have put back on my previous tinted (non-pinlock) visor. Looks better. Will source an anti-fog spray too (there IS the spit option, but I'd like something a little more elaborate). :)

ScootWook

Wannabie Member
Aug 31, 2016
I ride a
2013 Kawasaki ZX6R
So, I recently invested in a pinlock ready replacement visor for my helmet. Then on-top of that I obviously bought the pinlock insert. Which cost almost as much as the pinlock ready visor itself !

Functionality - Great, on my commute this morning, visor down the whole time, there was no misting (at least within the area of the pinlock portion)....

However its a CON !! The pinlock insert only covers 3/4 of the inside of the helmet visor (middle portion), meaning there's an inch border outside the pinlock region (all the way around), which is still prone to steaming up.

Also my pinlock insert has dark tint, but the portion of the visor not covered by the insert, still remains clear. So only the centre of my "new" visor looks tinted.... not a smart look.

I think I'm going to go back to my previous Visor purchased, non-pinlock, however entirely tinted and looked the part ! So I have to open it a fraction, to help prevent misting when I stop in traffic (during these colder months), so be it.

[/RANT OVER]

Anyone else had similar experiences?? :rolleyes:

Any tips to help prevent a standard visor steaming up on the inside?

I have a pinlock installed on my HJC FG-17 visor and it has NEVER fogged, not even once...I love it. Do I think a .03$ piece of plastic is worth $25...hell yeah I do, best invention ever.

thrttlsnap

Wannabie Member
Nov 21, 2016
I ride a
Anything!
A bit of fairy liquid diluted by water and rubbed on the inside of the visor has always worked for me! I've also used a respro foggy mask in a few lids too which have been great.

Bonehead76

Wannabie Member
Oct 10, 2016
I ride a
SV650, ATK 605, GSXR 1000,
I have to say, pinlock on the Shark Evo One is about as good as spit!

I have only opened mine fewer that 100 times and the POS scratched right in the line of sight. Trying to get one online is not much fun either.

Anyone have a good technic to polish out the scratches from a Pinlock?
The only way I have goten scratches out of a visor is if they are very light scratches and by using a high speed buffer and a cutting compound. Then going back with a polishing compound to finish it. Sometimes it will leave swirls though. Not a perfect fix.

2WL

Dan & lurch are inspiring
Dec 17, 2016
South West
I ride a
Suzuki GSR750
I think pinlocks are hit and miss,

I've had them in Shark, AGV and HJC helmets, AGV pin lock was crap, shark ok and the fit for the HJC was the best.

If can see its not fitting properly if there is a gap between the pinlock and the visor, you can edit the tension in the visor to make it fitproperly

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts