Phone & Camera Combination.

OCD_Biker

@theanxiousbiker
Apr 29, 2021
I ride a
Yamaha MT-09
Hi All

New here and new too MotoVlogging.

I have a quick question for those in the know. Does anyone use a mobile phone to capture the audio and camera for video and merge it during editing?

If so how do you find this method? or would you recommended a dedicated sound recorder?

Note: Camera with Mic input is on list of kit when funds allow :)

Cheers

OCDB

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
Hi All

I have a quick question for those in the know. Does anyone use a mobile phone to capture the audio and camera for video and merge it during editing?

If so how do you find this method? or would you recommended a dedicated sound recorder?

Cheers

OCDB

What camera are you using? Even if it records its own audio, that can be used to sync up the audio-only recording with the camera's A/V recording.

Most editors will allow you to move things around on a timeline, which would allow you to line up the files. If you did a clap or three at the start of your video, both where the mic will pick up the sound and the camera will pick up your hands, you should be able to get very close to in sync on the audio and video.

Your phone will work as a recorder, but you'll probably get better audio with a dedicated recorder like a Tascam or Zoom. Someone more knowledgeable will be in soon to better help you, but it CAN be done the way I outlined.

-John

Reactions: Hakz and HippoDrone

OCD_Biker

@theanxiousbiker
Apr 29, 2021
I ride a
Yamaha MT-09
What camera are you using? Even if it records its own audio, that can be used to sync up the audio-only recording with the camera's A/V recording.

Most editors will allow you to move things around on a timeline, which would allow you to line up the files. If you did a clap or three at the start of your video, both where the mic will pick up the sound and the camera will pick up your hands, you should be able to get very close to in sync on the audio and video.

Your phone will work as a recorder, but you'll probably get better audio with a dedicated recorder like a Tascam or Zoom. Someone more knowledgeable will be in soon to better help you, but it CAN be done the way I outlined.

-John

Solid advice, just the kind of thing I am after. As for the camera(s) I have a old GoPro (possibly Hero2) & a cheap Victure 4k cam (just for messing around with, nothing special) and these have built in mic's so the thinking behind external audio capture is to get rid of the horrific wind noise the built in camera mics will capture. Hope this makes sense.

I will try the clap method for sure though.

Cheers

Dan

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Hi Dan, yup @Drakhen99 has pretty much covered what I'd suggest too, a clap, or three to synch audio works well for me when I need to synch multiple inputs up :)

BikeFather

Wannabie Member
Apr 11, 2021
I ride a
Harley Davidson Sport Glide
Hi All

Cheers

OCDB

When I started doing videos a long time ago, business-related videos, not motovlogging, I used to have the Rode SmartLav+ mic and record directly into the phone. No problem at all trying that if you are on a budget.

However, an external recorder would be more convenient, ideal, because with a phone someone might call you, or you might receive some sort of notification from an app, which might then interfere with your recording or you might want to use your phone for something else like GPS.

Regardless of which option you go ..yes, you should be able to sync the audio in post. As others have mentioned, you can try clapping a few times, I also like beeping 2-3 times, as these tend to create bigger spikes in the audio waveform.

Reactions: HippoDrone

OCD_Biker

@theanxiousbiker
Apr 29, 2021
I ride a
Yamaha MT-09
Cheers All

Much appreciated feedback.

@Alex2wheel good point on calls and app notifications disrupting audio capture.

I will likely put my phone in DnD when I test this.

Cheers

Dan

Theodor

Don't wannabe
Nov 16, 2017
Estonia
I ride a
Valkyrie 1500
If budget is concern, you can definitely go with recording the audio with phone. As long as you get an app, that has manual gain adjustment (you might need to cough up 5-10 usd for that one), and you can use a wired mic, the solution will have sufficient quality, not to justify the extra expense and hassle, of purchasing dedicated audio recorder.
I have used even the original headset mic, strapped on my back, to record the bikes sound, while riding, and it did not seem bad at all.

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
Haha, I should post a test clip of me starting a ride... walking around the bike firing up all the cameras, then again to start recording [I like to give 'em each a few seconds to wake up], and then standing somewhere all the cameras can see my hands, and then clapping.

Then I get on the bike and ride!

-John

• Haha
Reactions: Theodor

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
If budget is concern, you can definitely go with recording the audio with phone. As long as you get an app, that has manual gain adjustment (you might need to cough up 5-10 usd for that one), and you can use a wired mic, the solution will have sufficient quality, not to justify the extra expense and hassle, of purchasing dedicated audio recorder.
I have used even the original headset mic, strapped on my back, to record the bikes sound, while riding, and it did not seem bad at all.

I think the app I downloaded on Android was Parrot, and it was free. It allowed for gain adjustments and things, but had limitations elsewhere. I'd expound upon that, but it's been so long since I used it that I forget now.

-John

Theodor

Don't wannabe
Nov 16, 2017
Estonia
I ride a
Valkyrie 1500
Haha, I should post a test clip of me starting a ride... walking around the bike firing up all the cameras, then again to start recording [I like to give 'em each a few seconds to wake up], and then standing somewhere all the cameras can see my hands, and then clapping.

Then I get on the bike and ride!

-John
That could be a sight... :D

Reactions: Drakhen99

OCD_Biker

@theanxiousbiker
Apr 29, 2021
I ride a
Yamaha MT-09
Haha that must be a sight indeed.

As for strapping the mic to your back never thought of that, I assumed a pocket or under the seat would be my best options, but every day is a school day.

Theodor

Don't wannabe
Nov 16, 2017
Estonia
I ride a
Valkyrie 1500
I did try under the seat also, but my bikes frame picks up wind whistling around there, at some speeds, so that was not the best solution in my case. Strapping on the back was easy, because I use chesty, for my camera. Also, no wires would get ripped, if I step off the bike, and forget I was recording :p

OCD_Biker

@theanxiousbiker
Apr 29, 2021
I ride a
Yamaha MT-09
I did try under the seat also, but my bikes frame picks up wind whistling around there, at some speeds, so that was not the best solution in my case. Strapping on the back was easy, because I use chesty, for my camera. Also, no wires would get ripped, if I step off the bike, and forget I was recording :p

I may try this method, as I use a chesty as well.

Cheers

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
I think if I used a chesty, all you'd see is my bike's dash, and not much else! I have one though, I may have to do a test LOL.

-John

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
you could maybe use it as a rear facing camera angle by wearing it backwards?

OCD_Biker

@theanxiousbiker
Apr 29, 2021
I ride a
Yamaha MT-09
I think if I used a chesty, all you'd see is my bike's dash, and not much else! I have one though, I may have to do a test LOL.

-John

My previous failed attempt at making a video, the view from the chesty wasnt bad, as the MT09 is a very upright seating position and I only have the Puig Sports screen, so it sit's inline with the dash.

No just to master the audio.

Theodor

Don't wannabe
Nov 16, 2017
Estonia
I ride a
Valkyrie 1500
I put the camera on, with double hinges. one I tightened with a screwdriver, that determines the recording angle, when camera case is touching the backplate. The other one is fingertight, so I can unscrew and drop the case down, to open the rear door and take camera out. And then to put it back to the previously set position, I just close the door and put the case back all the way, touching the backplate and tighten by finger. I found this to be the easiest way to get almost the same angle every time. Clothes still have some effect, but overall it is more consistent.

OCD_Biker

@theanxiousbiker
Apr 29, 2021
I ride a
Yamaha MT-09
My only concern with a chesty is long term, will all video footage look too static. As with a chin mount you get more rider movement in and out of the bends etc.

Obviously this is not a massive concern at the moment as the one and only video I have created has been scrapped due to terrible audio.

Theodor

Don't wannabe
Nov 16, 2017
Estonia
I ride a
Valkyrie 1500
My only concern with a chesty is long term, will all video footage look too static. As with a chin mount you get more rider movement in and out of the bends etc.

Obviously this is not a massive concern at the moment as the one and only video I have created has been scrapped due to terrible audio.
My concern was exactly the opposite. At the time I decided to start filming my rides, I had seen too many videos from cameras attached to helmets, that happened to be on very restless heads, and I found it tiring to see the picture going left and right and up and down all the time, with jerky movements. While riding, you need to watch all around, so eliminating head movement was not an option, so I chose the next best thing.

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
My concern was exactly the opposite. At the time I decided to start filming my rides, I had seen too many videos from cameras attached to helmets, that happened to be on very restless heads, and I found it tiring to see the picture going left and right and up and down all the time, with jerky movements. While riding, you need to watch all around, so eliminating head movement was not an option, so I chose the next best thing.

Funny you should mention "restless heads" ... I use the highest or second-highest stabilization setting on my GoPros to negate the quick movements you get from keeping your head on a swivel. And that was one thing a normie friend of mine told me he liked about my videos, that they were smooth, as he called it.

-John

Reactions: Theodor

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO