SevenCube

KTM RC390 + ATGATT
Dec 28, 2015
I ride a
2015 KTM RC 390, 2011 Yamaha FZ-S
I'm travelling to Munich, Germany for 6 months on a business trip. Riding in Europe is something I really want to do, but I've got a few concerns I'm hoping the monks here can help with. More will follow as I figure this out.
  1. Long Term Motorcycle Rental: I looked up a few rental websites and the rates there would run me dry in a week. India and Germany has a massive price difference.

Do you know of any cheaper ways to rent a motorcycle long term? I was wondering if there are people (who have bought a motorcycle and don't get the time to use them) who might be willing to lend it to someone for a small sum of money? Advantage being that I keep the engine running instead of it running idle. I know it's far fetched, but I don't know whether it's feasible.
  2. Riding Gear: Considering how cold it is and that I've got the gear (leather one piece race suit too) I need to ride, it makes sense for me to carry it all there. However since my suit is perforated, do you think I'll need to invest in any specific riding gear to handle the cold there? Or can I work it out as is by maybe wearing a thermal layer inside?
  3. Places to Visit: I'm hoping to ride around in Germany and maybe visit a few neighbouring countries there. It'll most likely be only a weekend plan though. Which country would you recommend I visit over a weekend? Multiple weekends too.
Thank you! :)

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Hey, you may find it a better plan to buy a cheap bike and sell it when you leave, you'll probs not lose much over such a short time. Although with being there in winter are you actually going to use it much?
I'd also look into some decent textiles rather that a race suit as they will be waterproof and have a thermal lining.
As for where to go, all depends on where you are based, Switzerland has some amazing roads as does Northern Italy

SevenCube

KTM RC390 + ATGATT
Dec 28, 2015
I ride a
2015 KTM RC 390, 2011 Yamaha FZ-S
Hey, you may find it a better plan to buy a cheap bike and sell it when you leave, you'll probs not lose much over such a short time. Although with being there in winter are you actually going to use it much?
I'd also look into some decent textiles rather that a race suit as they will be waterproof and have a thermal lining.
As for where to go, all depends on where you are based, Switzerland has some amazing roads as does Northern Italy

I'll probably have to look at the prices there though. Considering the difference in economies, it'll be a major investment for me to buy a bike, even a cheap one. I'll be in Germany from October to March. Not sure when I'll be going back, so I'd like to ride as much as I can.

I'm considering buying a jacket once I'm here. Though I'm still undecided between textile and leather. Would the latter be warmer? With the ability to have a thermal liner though, I don't know if a textile would be better.

2WV

@2WheelVandal
Feb 25, 2017
South England
I ride a
A motorcycle, silly.
I'll probably have to look at the prices there though. Considering the difference in economies, it'll be a major investment for me to buy a bike, even a cheap one. I'll be in Germany from October to March. Not sure when I'll be going back, so I'd like to ride as much as I can.

I'm considering buying a jacket once I'm here. Though I'm still undecided between textile and leather. Would the latter be warmer? With the ability to have a thermal liner though, I don't know if a textile would be better.

In terms of windchill, you want textile because its waterproof and the thermal liner will keep you warm. Leather will only get heavy as it absorbs the rain then plus the windchill, it will get cold very quickly.

Your best option is to invest in some proper winter riding gear. Then just use your race suit when its warm outside. Its better to be equipped than not to be equipped.

Or another solution is to buy waterproofs that are designed for your racesuit. I know Alpinestars does something similar but again, this wont keep you warm. If you take this option it will be wise to invest in some under armour thermal clothing or something similar i guess. Heated clothing would be best, look up REISS heated clothing.

In terms of the bike scenario, When you arrive go to a rental place and try to work out an agreement face to face and explain your situation sometimes this can benefit you a lot. Otherwise, buy a bike there or ship yours over there. Or just rent bikes for the weekend - good ammo for bike review vlogs i guess..

Jafnhaar

Riding Triumph Sprint GT SE 1050
Jul 13, 2017
East Anglia, UK
I ride a
Triumph Sprint GT SE 1050
I'm travelling to Munich, Germany for 6 months on a business trip. Riding in Europe is something I really want to do, but I've got a few concerns I'm hoping the monks here can help with. More will follow as I figure this out.
  1. Long Term Motorcycle Rental: I looked up a few rental websites and the rates there would run me dry in a week. India and Germany has a massive price difference.

Do you know of any cheaper ways to rent a motorcycle long term? I was wondering if there are people (who have bought a motorcycle and don't get the time to use them) who might be willing to lend it to someone for a small sum of money? Advantage being that I keep the engine running instead of it running idle. I know it's far fetched, but I don't know whether it's feasible.
  2. Riding Gear: Considering how cold it is and that I've got the gear (leather one piece race suit too) I need to ride, it makes sense for me to carry it all there. However since my suit is perforated, do you think I'll need to invest in any specific riding gear to handle the cold there? Or can I work it out as is by maybe wearing a thermal layer inside?
  3. Places to Visit: I'm hoping to ride around in Germany and maybe visit a few neighbouring countries there. It'll most likely be only a weekend plan though. Which country would you recommend I visit over a weekend? Multiple weekends too.
Thank you! :)

Hi,

Same as 2 wheel vandal said, best go to a rental place while you are there and ask about.

In terms of riding gear... Textile over leather any day if the weather is cold and wet... The only other solution is wear your leathers but get a full goretex rain suit that keeps you dry and it is also a bit of a wind break if the windchill is bad..

In regards to the places to visit.. there is so many so if you have the time visit France, Belgium and Austria (for some amazing mountain roads....)

Reactions: 2WV

Arctic Pride

L Plate Member
Mar 3, 2014
I ride a
lot of different things
I'd think your best bet is likely lining up a good rental for a few long trips. Buying a bike and dealing with selling/license/insurance is likely going to be more of a hassle than its worth.

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
2016 Street Triple R and a 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
Textile gear is way more flexible when it comes to options - vents, liners, weight, pockets. Also much cheaper than leather.

Reactions: 2WV

2WV

@2WheelVandal
Feb 25, 2017
South England
I ride a
A motorcycle, silly.
Yeah, i genuinely think your best option would be textiles. Especially since it'll be Winter time and in Western Europe...

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts