Need Some Help.

Jok3r

Wannabie Member
Oct 30, 2016
I ride a
2015 CBR500R
Hey guys, had a quick but maybe not so simple question. I am using a GoPro Session and a separate audio recorder wired into my helmet. I am such a novice at editing that using anything other than Windows Movie Maker to edit gives my (and my archaic laptop) fits. I have got syncing the audio and video down. Issue I have is that now I am trying to work on cutting out dead space. That is where my issue comes in. As soon as I split the video, it throws off the sync again. Common sense tells me to save the project and then open it back up in WMM and now cut it up, since now audio and video are in one file. Common sense also tells me my overall quality is going to suffer because of this. Any tips or ways to deal with/get around this? Anything would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Get some proper editing software. I use Wondershare Filmora, it is very simple to use and not as good as the more professional software but is better than movie maker. You can demo it for free too but that adds a watermark and I think you don't get the full functionality

Reactions: Jok3r

Jok3r

Wannabie Member
Oct 30, 2016
I ride a
2015 CBR500R
Thanks Hippo. I have actually downloaded the trial version of Wondershare, but it gave my PC some issues. I don't run the fastest or best laptop, so it may not be suited for that. But thanks for the input.

Reactions: HippoDrone

lupin

2016 Solar Bear Champion.
Jul 5, 2015
Australia
www.imlupz.com
I ride a
FZ1N
Don't think overall quality will drop much if at all if you do it the way your thinking.

Youtube will drop the video quality no matter what you do anyway.

Jok3r

Wannabie Member
Oct 30, 2016
I ride a
2015 CBR500R
Much appreciated Lupin. I don't mind going through the extra steps, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't shooting myself in the foot. LOL

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
Philadelphia/South Jersey
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
Saving the project shouldn’t lower your quality. Are you cutting the video separate from the audio? Is there a way can link a video track to an audio track so that if you cut the video the corresponding audio track will be cut in the same place -- time code-wise.

- Wuf

Jok3r

Wannabie Member
Oct 30, 2016
I ride a
2015 CBR500R
Well Wuf, that was my question. what I was trying to do was figure out a way to cut, as I edited, both the audio and video in one click. I think for me at least it was tricky to cut both in WMM. And no, I don;t think there is a way to link them up prior to exporting. I ended up checking out Filmora again and after a few edits using the trial version, I realized it was maybe that gradual step up from WMM I was looking for.

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
Philadelphia/South Jersey
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
I generally edit in Premiere Pro where, if you import a clip with audio and video, they are linked together. You cut one, the other track is cut in the same place on the time line. You have the option to unlink them, or take two clips -- one audio and one video, select them and link them together too. Not sure if WMM players allows you to do that.

Is there a SNAPPING option you can select when editing? This means that anywhere there is a cut, or the beginning or end of a clip the playhead will snap to it. This then severs as a guide for where you are in the timeline if you want to make a synch cut from video to audio, or visa-versa.

Though you’re using a different program these links may explain it better than I am.

http://creativeclouduser.com/snapping-in-adobe-premiere-pro/

Hopefully you have something like it in WMM.

- Wuf

Jok3r

Wannabie Member
Oct 30, 2016
I ride a
2015 CBR500R
Wuf, I think it is really nice you explaining that like you think I understand ANYTHING you just said. LOL I think I see what you mean. The difference is I am importing separate video and audio tracks. I use a GoPro Session and then a dedicated recorder. I will take a look and see if there is a way in post production where I can sync them for editing purposes. I gotta say though that with Filmora the process is infinitely easier. Been messing with it today since I mounted my Session on the chin of my helmet and wanted to get some video with that and mess around with it. I am going to mess around and see if I can find what you are mentioning. Definitely appreciate you looking this up for me and others.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO