Rant My Thoughts On Channel Merchandise

ScootWook

Wannabie Member
Aug 31, 2016
I ride a
2013 Kawasaki ZX6R

Alright, I know I am going to draw some Ire with this video, but it has to be said. Trying to get people to buy Merchandise when you have no following is not only wrong, it is annoying as hell. Seriously, I already feel embarrassed for you. People should be concentrating on making their content the absolute best it can be, not trying to make me buy a branded T-shirt which no one will ever recognize....I'd rather wear a pair of skinny jeans and a shirt made from loose cat hair. I also go into my thoughts on "fan-mail" and what I think are acceptable practices for growing a channel and showing subscriber appreciation.

Do not take this as an insult to any one person, this is a problem with the MotoVlogging community as a whole and something I just wanted to rant about. If you don't agree that is fine, you are all entitled to your opinions.

If you like what you saw
like, Comment, Subscribe and Share.

Check me out on Amino
Scoot Wookie

Instagram
Scoot Wookie

Twitter
Scoot Wookie

JoshAFJ

Because Motorcycle
Sep 21, 2016
Cincinnati, OH
I ride a
07 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
I 100% agree. I actually don't really plan on ever having merch as a motovlogger.

I will, however, be marketing stuff for my website, but we have a good local following here in Cincinnati and it's just going to be for fun. We've given a ton of shirts out and our screen printer fucked up some hoodies so we gave out a whole box for free.

Stickers are the shit though. But not when people try to charge like 8-10 bucks for a little pos sticker.

Reactions: ScootWook

ScootWook

Wannabie Member
Aug 31, 2016
I ride a
2013 Kawasaki ZX6R
I 100% agree. I actually don't really plan on ever having merch as a motovlogger.

I will, however, be marketing stuff for my website, but we have a good local following here in Cincinnati and it's just going to be for fun. We've given a ton of shirts out and our screen printer fucked up some hoodies so we gave out a whole box for free.

Stickers are the shit though. But not when people try to charge like 8-10 bucks for a little pos sticker.

THIS...this is what motovloging is about. Give to those who support you and want to see your presence grow. I want my subs to know that I really appreciate them following me and enjoying what most people would consider, the ramblings of an insane man. I have a greqt giveaway planned for even I hit my first milestone with more to come.

JoshAFJ

Because Motorcycle
Sep 21, 2016
Cincinnati, OH
I ride a
07 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
THIS...this is what motovloging is about. Give to those who support you and want to see your presence grow. I want my subs to know that I really appreciate them following me and enjoying what most people would consider, the ramblings of an insane man. I have a greqt giveaway planned for even I hit my first milestone with more to come.

Hell yea man looking forward to it! I want to get some stickers eventually, but no point without a following. May do some to give to friends who want to support, but if I sell them it would be for cost and postage. People are advertising for me...same shit when companies want to charge 50 bucks for a shirt with their logo on it...I'm advertising your company why do I have to spend so much for it.

BlakShadow

The Masshole
Sep 26, 2016
Massachusetts
I ride a
Honda Shadow ACE 1100
Though I have taken some steps to monetize my channel, I actually agree with you overall. I might get a Masshole shirt or something made for me, but it would be a one-off for ME to wear and promote my channel, not a money making merchandising deal or anything like that. I should ponder some stickers and spam cards to hand out, like you suggest, but at the moment I don't even have enough content on my channel to justify it!

If I ever do make it big, I'd consider a Patreon for myself, but only if I had some specific goals for what I'd want to do with that money - buy a second camera, for example, or take a trip back to Cape Breton Island (I *love* that place). And not to take a vacation on the subscribers' dime, but to produce some quality content out there, share the experience, and give them something back for their investment in me.

Sure, I've planned ahead. I'm already an Amazon affiliate. Links I put in my early videos may not get many clicks now, but if I do get popular that potential revenue stream is ready to go across all my videos back to the beginning. I'm not planning to be successful, just laying some groundwork in case I'm lucky enough for it to happen.

Reactions: ScootWook

ScootWook

Wannabie Member
Aug 31, 2016
I ride a
2013 Kawasaki ZX6R
Though I have taken some steps to monetize my channel, I actually agree with you overall. I might get a Masshole shirt or something made for me, but it would be a one-off for ME to wear and promote my channel, not a money making merchandising deal or anything like that. I should ponder some stickers and spam cards to hand out, like you suggest, but at the moment I don't even have enough content on my channel to justify it!

If I ever do make it big, I'd consider a Patreon for myself, but only if I had some specific goals for what I'd want to do with that money - buy a second camera, for example, or take a trip back to Cape Breton Island (I *love* that place). And not to take a vacation on the subscribers' dime, but to produce some quality content out there, share the experience, and give them something back for their investment in me.

Sure, I've planned ahead. I'm already an Amazon affiliate. Links I put in my early videos may not get many clicks now, but if I do get popular that potential revenue stream is ready to go across all my videos back to the beginning. I'm not planning to be successful, just laying some groundwork in case I'm lucky enough for it to happen.

Nothing wrong with planning ahead, however you are not making a channel with the sole purpose of shoving merch down anyone's throats. We all hope that our channel's take off, it would be awesome if I was even able to get to 500 subs one day....thats 500 more people who are interested in my insane ramblings than I had before. Making a little money off of monetization never hurt anyone either, however it is for the use of your name as a marketing boost....not like designing some crappy shirt on t-spring, putting a shitty graphic on it, and then selling it to someone for $40. Its also different if you are into making a new clothing line, nothing wrong with that either.

Reactions: BlakShadow

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts