My mic broke so I used my iPhone headphones to record this audio

tarmacjapa

Bike Hub Japan
Mar 9, 2019
Japan
I ride a
KTM Superduke
Suzuki SV650S
Hey guys, I was out in the mountains when I stopped to test some audio recording mic placements with my Zoom H1 and a cheap lapel mic that I had bought a wind cover/dead cat for. I was pretty sure that with my sponge case, dead cat, and very stable holder that even a cheap mic would be good enough...however the mic (being a $3 mic) was broken. Couldn't get it to work at all, so as an emergency measure, I tried my iPhone headphones as a mic. It plugged right into the Zoom and worked pretty well. Here's a 20 second clip. I am considering just using this setup from now on for my POV videos... What do you think to the quality?

LoneWolfer

Lone Wolfer Garage
Jun 1, 2017
Connecticut
www.thelonewolfer.com
I ride a
Harley Nightster, Harley Switchback & Suzuki Savage
I used the iPhone headphone mic starting out and keep one with me as a backup when I vlog. I had extra pairs that the ear buds had crapped out but the mic worked fine so I cut the cords off from the mic/control unit and have it stuffed in my helmet with the mic in the cheek pad. I plug mine right into my iphone and record using Voice Record Pro. I like this way rather than carrying my Zoom or my sony recorder as they take up extr space, but I always take my iphone with me.

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
Has a nice crisp sound to it. I would wonder how it does with talking too. Plus, is it a stereo or mono mic?

I know not all viewers are audiophiles but I love stereo especially when a vehicle passes.

tarmacjapa

Bike Hub Japan
Mar 9, 2019
Japan
I ride a
KTM Superduke
Suzuki SV650S
Lone wolf, is it safe to just cut the earbuds off like that? I'd like to do the same and maybe just leave the mic mounted to the bike all the time..

Reactions: LoneWolfer

WheelyPerd

Everywhere @WheeliePerd
May 18, 2017
South Africa
I ride a
Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
I used the iPhone headphone mic starting out and keep one with me as a backup when I vlog. I had extra pairs that the ear buds had crapped out but the mic worked fine so I cut the cords off from the mic/control unit and have it stuffed in my helmet with the mic in the cheek pad. I plug mine right into my iphone and record using Voice Record Pro. I like this way rather than carrying my Zoom or my sony recorder as they take up extr space, but I always take my iphone with me.

I probably have at least 5 of these from previous phones, never even occurred to me to cut the earbuds off.

Reactions: LoneWolfer

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts