My GoPro fell off my helmet

DangerCDV

Wannabie Member
Jul 13, 2018
Georgia
I ride a
2015 Suzuki GSXR-600
So I have a video about this on my channel (Ride With Danger) but I recently had an issue where the 3M tape and female end of the mount were attached to my helmet just fine, but the male end of that connector just slid out while riding around. I was able to recover the Hero 5 and its damaged frame, but the mic adapter got lost. So far the camera still works great!

To my surprise, I contacted GoPro and they actually replaced the frame, mount, protective lens. and the mic adapter! So I got lucky there, but I am sketched out now that the mount might fail again.

I know its held up in the past at some very illegal speeds, so I shouldnt be too worried, just sketched out that I almost lost my GoPro, especially since they have a rubber piece on their mounts so this WONT happen.

Reactions: R-Rated

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Was good of them to replace the bits. I have been using their ball joint mount on my bike and one of the locking arms snapped last ride so I share your concern.

Reactions: DangerCDV

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
Philadelphia/South Jersey
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
It depends on how far out your camera is from your helmet. Was this a chin or side mount set up? If the latter then the camera can act like a sail, creating a vibration that tugs at the adhesive contact, and over time, wrenches it out. I had a similar thing happen to a camera mounted to the top of one of my side mirrors. Once I got up to around 50-60 mph, the buffeting wind and vibrations pried if off. It's seen in one of my motovlogs too.

- Wolf

DangerCDV

Wannabie Member
Jul 13, 2018
Georgia
I ride a
2015 Suzuki GSXR-600
It depends on how far out your camera is from your helmet. Was this a chin or side mount set up? If the latter then the camera can act like a sail, creating a vibration that tugs at the adhesive contact, and over time, wrenches it out. I had a similar thing happen to a camera mounted to the top of one of my side mirrors. Once I got up to around 50-60 mph, the buffeting wind and vibrations pried if off. It's seen in one of my motovlogs too.

- Wolf
well it was a side mount because a chin mount doesnt really work with my new helmet. the adhesive is still fine, it was the male end of the mount that slid out.

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
That sounds more like a problem with the clicking mechanism. Was anything broken, or do you think it was the same dynamic forces -- wind and vibration -- that worked it out of its socket?

- Wolf

DangerCDV

Wannabie Member
Jul 13, 2018
Georgia
I ride a
2015 Suzuki GSXR-600
That sounds more like a problem with the clicking mechanism. Was anything broken, or do you think it was the same dynamic forces -- wind and vibration -- that worked it out of its socket?

- Wolf
I believe the GoPro mount failed. Because it has that rubber piece that is supposed to prevent this from happening. And when I recovered the mount from the side if the road that rubber piece was missing. I'm glad I got it all replaced tho

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
Yeah, that is a tough break. Glad Gopro replaced the parts. The camera I lost was only $50 bucks, and from a company based in China. I was confident about their Customer Service, so I just got another one.

- Wolf

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
The black plastic is based about going from ok to failure from stress fatigue. I have seen it happen to the arm sections. Had fellow rider have one fail after two weeks of use right or of the box.

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
The black plastic is based about going from ok to failure from stress fatigue. I have seen it happen to the arm sections. Had fellow rider have one fail after two weeks of use right or of the box.

Sorry about the misspelled words! I was distracted with breakfast this morning.

DangerCDV

Wannabie Member
Jul 13, 2018
Georgia
I ride a
2015 Suzuki GSXR-600
Sorry about the misspelled words! I was distracted with breakfast this morning.
lol its all good, im chowing down on some breakfast right now too! I have more confidence in this new mount, and test it before every ride.

Reactions: R-Rated

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
can you not mount it the other way around so that when the wind pushes against it, it pushes it on rather than off?

DangerCDV

Wannabie Member
Jul 13, 2018
Georgia
I ride a
2015 Suzuki GSXR-600
can you not mount it the other way around so that when the wind pushes against it, it pushes it on rather than off?
Well either way it shouldn't happen because the rubber piece won't let it push back. I can't force it back when the rubber piece is down so I'm not sure how the wind did it

Reactions: HippoDrone
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
CollingsB Camera Setups 31
G Camera Setups 11

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts