Motorcycle Books & Films

themagpie

As the Magpie Flies
Jun 18, 2019
Portland, OR & Corvallis, MT
www.asthemagpieflies.com
I ride a
2016 Honda CB500x, 2016 Triumph Tiger 800xc, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 1980 Suzuki GS850gl, Batavus Moped, 1972 Honda CB175
For a lot of us it's that time of year where riding is either painfully cold or nearly impossible.
One of my favorite ways to pass the time is Audio Books and Motorcycle Films!!

I wanted to create a thread where we can all share our favorite Motorcycle Books and Films, or maybe a GOOD Moto Travel Series you've seen from other Youtube Creators.

I'll start this thread with some of my FAVORITE Motorcycle Books that are available on Audible so you can listen to them while you do other things:
Some Honorable Mentions I haven't read myself, but friends have recommended to me

Also Not a Motorcycle, but a Bicycle and still a great read of an Adventure Around the World on Two Wheels is Round the World by Bike by Alastair Humphreys (it was really good.)

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Awesome post @themagpie I am not much of a reader, but there has been some amazing journeys penned in folks journals, so I can imagine that they would make fantastic stories and books! :)

• Love
Reactions: themagpie

themagpie

As the Magpie Flies
Jun 18, 2019
www.asthemagpieflies.com
I ride a
2016 Honda CB500x, 2016 Triumph Tiger 800xc, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 1980 Suzuki GS850gl, Batavus Moped, 1972 Honda CB175
Motorcycle Films!

Starting with more Professional or "Cinema" Films:

More Indie Films
Short Indie Films and Amateur Series
Note that Videos that are Available to Watch on Youtube have a "YT" next to them
I could go on but I think this is a good Primer, it also has the added benefit of priming the creative juices when you think you've run out of content to make. I find ideas start popping up in my head as a result of watching content like this! XD

Pooley

Wannabe tractor enthusiast
Nov 19, 2019
Derbyshire
I ride a
2003 Honda Deauville 650
Quite the bookworm :)
I wanted to create a thread where we can all share our favorite Motorcycle Books and Films
My favourite motorcycle film would be something like long way round, when I watched it years ago it planted that dream in my head of going on a crazy adventure one day!

themagpie

As the Magpie Flies
Jun 18, 2019
www.asthemagpieflies.com
I ride a
Don't forget Long Way Down aswell ;)
And Race to Dakar with Charley Boorman.

New Season of Long Way should be released this year i think ;)

lol I didn't forget it. I just didn't like it. ;)
Race to Dakar wasn't bad though.
Technically I also missed The Ride with Norman Reedus too... it's just not on my list of faves.

I saw lol Interested to see how the ADV community takes it, since they did it on Harley-Davidson Livewires. A lot of people were already not happy when they announced it, but I'm waiting to see the actual series.

Meifesto

Semi-Suicidal Dutchie
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
The Long Way Down wasn't bad, really enjoyed watching it. watched it back to back with the Long Way Round, and it still had the same feel etc to it.
Took a bit longer to start up, so the first couple of episodes could have been better xD

But some of the places in Africa, wow.

I wasn't aware of the Livewires xD Would be interesting though.
Planning on testing one of those myself this year :)

Reactions: HippoDrone

Pooley

Wannabe tractor enthusiast
Nov 19, 2019
Derbyshire
I ride a
2003 Honda Deauville 650
I wasn't aware of the Livewires xD Would be interesting though.
Planning on testing one of those myself this year :)
Yes I heard about this a while ago, but with their short range can it really be as entertaining as previous installments? Time will tell :)

Reactions: Meifesto

Meifesto

Semi-Suicidal Dutchie
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
I absolute love Guy Martin, and the fact he has his "own" youtube channel now isn't helping either xD

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
I am going to throw these out there for new and seasoned riders alike. Of course, I point out why they should be required viewing material:

Harley-Davidson and the Marlboro Man - What better than a buddy flick about a man trying to reconnect with his childhood friends and how their lives all followed the cliched stereotypes they always wanted to be. Seriously, anyone that has been around Harley riders in a group or most motorcyclists beyond the DGR should spot at least three of the characters. Beyond that, who among would not want to chuck it all, hop on our bike and just ride to find something else in life?

Beyond the Law - Imagine, remember, when you first got into riding. Hardtail, jugs, Evo, all just words at first. Now think to when motorcycle words took on life. Now think about when that life overpowers what you were before you started. How to reconcile the multifaceted self is the base storyline in this reportedly based on a story that once was in Easyriders magazine based on real events. You will wonder why you have not watched this sooner by the time you get to the end and look past the stagehand catching the knocked over lamp. BTW, yes the overall scheme is how it sometimes goes for folks in the professions presented on screen, unfortunately.

Easy Rider - Ah, yes warmer weather brings on wanderlust for two friends trying to find America. This piece of film history captures the true meaning of disillusionment. Was it worth the price paid to take this journey? Well, you just have to watch and enjoy in the safety of your normal life being thankful you made different choices.

Finally,

The World's Fastest Indian - This guy had true intestinal fortitude and was a verifiable real life person, unlike the above films!

Seriously folks, go watch these. . .

POpcorn.gif

Reactions: LoneWolfer

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
Philadelphia/South Jersey
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
I'd like to add if anyone is interested:

I See By My Outfit, by Peter S. Beagel. Two friends, a writer and a painter and both musicians, ride their scooters from the Bronx, New Your to California across 1960's America.

Frankenstein Scooters to Dracula's Castle, by Martin 'Sticky' Round. A man, his family and good friend ride modified scooters (with motorcycle engines) from the UK, through Eastern Europe to Turkey and Greece. Along the way the visit Dracula's castle.

- Wolf

Meifesto

Semi-Suicidal Dutchie
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
Not so familiar with books, but I love my movies, so..... ;

Most off them are already mentioned i'm guessing, but a few adds.

Big miss in the lists is:
Akira (1988) - A secret military project endangers Neo-Tokyo when it turns a biker gang member into a rampaging psychic psychopath who can only be stopped by two teenagers and a group of psychics.

Ilse of Man TT shouldn't be missing:
Closer to the Edge

And a bonus movie, as it does contain a motorcycle, but more importantly, it is filmed in POV, the whole movie.
Two cameras's stuck to the actors head. And thus deserves more love and attention.
Hardcore Henry

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Streamable Movie:
Quadrophenia - a film about the Mods and Rockers in the UK back in 1964 - One of my fav biker movies, I've even made a video about it on my channel.
DVD Movie:
Silver Dream Racer - Pop legend David Essex stars opposite Beau Bridges in a bittersweet story set in the cut-throat world of motorcycle racing.
The Great Escape - Not technically a motorbike movie, but one of the most iconic bike chases in movie history.
Streamable Series:
Sons of Anarchy - some may hate me for this, but as an entertaining cheesefest of biker stereotypes and escapism it was bloomin epic in my book.

YouTubers you MUST Watch:
C90 Adventures - Humongously bingeable, you gotta watch from the start.
Itchy Boots - Humongously bingeable, you gotta watch from the start.
Andy Man Cam - Our very own (all but a while back) @AndyManCam
TeaPotOne - Our very own (all but a while back) @TeapotOne

LoneWolfer

Lone Wolfer Garage
Jun 1, 2017
Connecticut
www.thelonewolfer.com
I ride a
Harley Nightster, Harley Switchback & Suzuki Savage
Some great movies and books in this thread. Gotta give a huge second to Road to Paloma. Flew too far under the radar given the fact that it is a Jason Momoa flick. And The Best Bar in America took two tries to watch as the first 45 minutes are "difficult" to get through for me as I could not connect with the main character, but that last act pulls it together and makes his character more understandable.

Reactions: HippoDrone

UncleL

Uncle LongBeard
Feb 29, 2020
Midlands, UK
I ride a
HD, W800, RE
I guess I can add a few interesting movies:
- Fixing the Shadow
- Stone Cold
- Masters of Manace
- Wild Hogs