Mirrors in the way?

FloridaMan

Wannabie Member
Dec 30, 2018
Polk County, Florida
I ride a
Boulevard s83 & Boulevard s40
I filmed a ride the other day to play with my camera setup some more. I have yet to actually film a motovlog yet, but the last bit to my audio setup just arrived in the mail yesterday, so I should be at it soon.
While looking at my footage though I noticed that my mirrors take up a large portion of the screen and I would imagine most people are more interested in what's going on in front of me rather than the mirrors that aren't even angled for the camera to see through.
Screenshot of video as an example.
Have y'all encountered this issue as well with your setup or noticed it in others' vlogs and been annoyed by it? Trying to find some mirrors right now that I like that are either lower profile or go under the handlebars.

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
I filmed a ride the other day to play with my camera setup some more. I have yet to actually film a motovlog yet, but the last bit to my audio setup just arrived in the mail yesterday, so I should be at it soon.
While looking at my footage though I noticed that my mirrors take up a large portion of the screen and I would imagine most people are more interested in what's going on in front of me rather than the mirrors that aren't even angled for the camera to see through.
Screenshot of video as an example.
Have y'all encountered this issue as well with your setup or noticed it in others' vlogs and been annoyed by it? Trying to find some mirrors right now that I like that are either lower profile or go under the handlebars.
View attachment 4132
Are you using a helmet mount because it appears to look like a chest mount?

Does the camera have a Superview type setting like Gopros do?

FloridaMan

Wannabie Member
Dec 30, 2018
Polk County, Florida
I ride a
Are you using a helmet mount because it appears to look like a chest mount?

Does the camera have a Superview type setting like Gopros do?
It's a Hero7 Black mounted to the chin of my helmet. It's in Superview, but it's also using hypersmooth which cuts off a little bit of the edges. I never thought of it looking like a chest mount. It's not that low is it? My seat doesn't sit super high. Here's another screen cap that I have.

R-Rated

Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
It's a Hero7 Black mounted to the chin of my helmet. It's in Superview, but it's also using hypersmooth which cuts off a little bit of the edges. I never thought of it looking like a chest mount. It's not that low is it? My seat doesn't sit super high. Here's another screen cap that I have.
View attachment 4133
The second capture does not appear have as much mirror to screen ratio by my eyes.

I wonder if the onboard stabilization is zooming in to steady the shot over several frames? I have seen my editing software do it if I go more than just a little stabilization.

Think of this. The camera is trying to keep the center of the shot steady and calculated the center by averaging over several frames.

Unfortunately over those same frames we have vibration from bike/road, our bubbly head, and horizon changing with the landscape. So one frame looks too high of center to the cameras brain, the next too low, the next too left, etc.

So the camera crops each frame so what it thinks is center is centered and the result is a zoom which makes your mirrors more noticeable.

You can test this hypothesis by running the same road once shooting with the smooth and once without. Then watch each clip and see if the mirrors look for the difference in the size of the mirrors.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: FloridaMan

FloridaMan

Wannabie Member
Dec 30, 2018
Polk County, Florida
I ride a
The second capture does not appear have as much mirror to screen ratio by my eyes.

I wonder if the onboard stabilization is zooming in to steady the shot over several frames? I have seen my editing software do it if I go more than just a little stabilization.

Think of this. The camera is trying to keep the center of the shot steady and calculated the center by averaging over several frames.

Unfortunately over those same frames we have vibration from bike/road, our bubbly head, and horizon changing with the landscape. So one frame looks too high of center to the cameras brain, the next too low, the next too left, etc.

So the camera crops each frame so what it thinks is center is centered and the result is a zoom which makes your mirrors more noticeable.

You can test this hypothesis by running the same road once shooting with the smooth and once without. Then watch each clip and see if the mirrors look for the difference in the size of the mirrors.

Hope this helps.
I think the only reason why the mirror takes up so much less space in the second photo is because it's in the center rather than at the edge where it gets stretched by the fisheye.
The Superview does crop the edges some and this does cause the mirrors to take up more space on the screen, but It doesn't seem to be a whole lot that's cropped and I think having the stabilization may be worth it. I'll go out and shoot a comparison video to look closely at the differences and share the results. Mic Bergsma has a video that shows how much it's cropped.

Reactions: R-Rated

R-Rated

Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
I think the only reason why the mirror takes up so much less space in the second photo is because it's in the center rather than at the edge where it gets stretched by the fisheye.
The Superview does crop the edges some and this does cause the mirrors to take up more space on the screen, but It doesn't seem to be a whole lot that's cropped and I think having the stabilization may be worth it. I'll go out and shoot a comparison video to look closely at the differences and share the results. Mic Bergsma has a video that shows how much it's cropped.

MicBergsma is the man! I learned a lot watching his old stuff.

As far as fisheye, is there a linear shooting mode? The 4 had that and it takes the fisheye out like we could do on GoPro Studio program.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Linear mode is great, but it zooms in a lot more than the Superview

Reactions: R-Rated

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
Philadelphia/South Jersey
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
I think Premiere Pro or After Effects can correct or lessen a fisheye lens effect. My camera is mounted on the side of my helmet so don't have the symmetry of both mirrors in my shot.

- Wolf

SighBored

@thesighbored
Jan 18, 2015
Malaysia
www.thesighbored.com
I ride a
2012 Kawasaki ZX-6R
The obvious solution is to get rid of the mirrors.. Hahaha.. Or just change them to smaller ones, unless you need the big huge ones.. Then there's nothing you can do about it and just roll with it..

I always have small aftermarket mirrors on because I don't like the OEM huge and sticking far out ones, and the small mirrors I just use to have a quick glance if there's something, followed by head-checks before I do any lane changes or such. That's what I'm comfortable with and it's probably not the same for others.

scottrod

Wannabie Member
May 15, 2018
I ride a
Harley Davidson V Rod
I flipped my mirrors! Looks cool as hell and on my bike can see more!
Just a thought..

scottrod

Wannabie Member
May 15, 2018
I ride a
Harley Davidson V Rod
Inverted them so they are now hanging below the bars. Unfortunately I can't just flip the mirrors on the Boulevard, but I'm trying to find some more I like that I can mount hanging below the bars. I'm trying to decide if I should also put different bars on it though.

I done a mirror install vlog in which I boughr new mirrors and flipped them.

Its on my channel if you get 5 minutes free.

Hope you get sorted bud.

Reactions: FloridaMan

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts