Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
YouTube is a strange beast, many members of Motovlog make great content, but because many of us have such a small following it is hard to get our videos watched. FaceBook seems to work from the inside out with how people are connected to you and in what way. Such as we are connected to our direct friends first and then our friends friends second. And as people share posts, they can be viewed many thousand times over in a short period of time. With YouTube it does not feel it works that way. I noticed that How-To videos tend to perform very well and are Ad friendly so I think YouTube sways towards that. They are in the game to make money (Facebook too but in a different way) so they are going to try and find videos that have or will have high monetization value. But on that note, make what makes you feel happy. YouTube is a project of passion so if you are making things you don't like, it probably won't be successful. I'm now trying to make content that is fun to make, and at least that is good therapy. : ) So at least I am getting something out of it even if I don't get lots of views, I can at least show my friends.
The thing is, no one will really go onto YouTube and search for a vlog/motovlog, they will search for "how to fit an exhaust to a Yamakowazuki" though, so if you do a few of those types of videos, they will get you new traffic, you then need to make personality videos like vlogs to keep those that liked your style interested in the rest of your content as they will most likely not watch a how to vid on a bike they do not have. It is a juggling act :)

Reactions: WheelyPerd

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
Aw, that's lame. No sharing pictures of Goldwings?! I love seeing pictures of those Road Beasts.

Pics allowed yes, just no video links or shares.

I'm going to try posting pics from my rides and instagram with a casual mention of my related video on YT, just to see how it goes. Worst case I just get kicked from the group, LOL!

• Haha
Reactions: HippoDrone

Teh Purp

Friendly Neighbourhood Idiot
Aug 9, 2020
SCOTLAND!
I ride a
SFV650, NC700x, anything im given
yeah, advertising on facebook basically just unlocks the followers you are meant to have anyway, its a pretty crap system, unless you pay mega bucks.

WEB

L Plate Member
Feb 14, 2020
I ride a
Triumph Thruxton + Harley Lowrider
YouTube pushes content they can sell. That's why if you do a video about a product, an unboxing, a review etc it gets watched - YouTube can take the analytics, go to the company, say "your product obtained x amount of watch time on our platform, give us money and we'll make you get y amount of exposure, this will result in z sales"

The flip side of that is that such videos are the most boring to make and most boring to watch, and turns cheerful people with a passion to get videos out into drones chasing numbers that plays havoc with their mental state. It's kind of depressing. I've had this same conversation many times with people (not YouTube though, other platforms) - Launch your first TikTok video, it'll do pretty well - Then you'll notice the interest, clicks and likes wanes. It's all a ploy to get you to try and chase those numbers - as you may buy more products to help you "get those numbers". Product from companies that are paying to have their stuff advertised...

Of course - video hosting is really expensive. YouTube has never made a single dime, if Google didn't buy them it would have been dead by 2007, so can't fault them for that. Think about all of the dud content out there that is hosted, available 24/7 on their servers for free?

C'est la vie...

WheelyPerd

Everywhere @WheeliePerd
May 18, 2017
South Africa
I ride a
Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
The thing is, no one will really go onto YouTube and search for a vlog/motovlog, they will search for "how to fit an exhaust to a Yamakowazuki" though, so if you do a few of those types of videos, they will get you new traffic, you then need to make personality videos like vlogs to keep those that liked your style interested in the rest of your content as they will most likely not watch a how to vid on a bike they do not have. It is a juggling act :)
This is golden advice for anyone!

motosera

Weirdo, mosher, freak
Jun 4, 2020
Cambridgeshire UK
www.motosera.com
I ride a
Honda CBR1100XX and Buel XB9R Custom
No tags, just sharing it in the right places. I don't do boosted posts, from what I have heard, they only boost them to folk who'd see it anyway lol

I boost them occasionally, but not that often. It does get more views and engagement on YT if you set the audience. But the rewards are effectively nil.

Screenshot_20200817-073554_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20200817-073752_Facebook.jpg

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I boost them occasionally, but not that often. It does get more views and engagement on YT if you set the audience. But the rewards are effectively nil.
How many views did the video get during the period of the boosted post? :)

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I am having an issue with a bike shop I got to do some work on my bike for me as I currently don't have the room in my garage to swing a cat, they damaged my bike, so thought I'd check on Google to see what the official method for removing the rear wheel was. Awesomely, it came up with a video I made as the first post on Google.... sadly, the mechanic didn't seem to use the internet to show him how to actually do the job as he possibly thought he knew best.... so didn't watch this very useful guide on the actual bike he was working on lol... by the by.....

Get a video to be number one on Google for a maintenance item you need to do that folk think is complicated. There are a million "How to fit a Quadlock Phone Mount" vids (I have added to that pile), but only a small handful of how to remove the rear wheel on a Moto Guzzi, and mine is the only how to video for the rear wheel on a V7 from what I can see.

v7wheel.jpg

WheelyPerd

Everywhere @WheeliePerd
May 18, 2017
South Africa
I ride a
Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
Reminds me that there is a single YT channel that has ALL the maintenance videos for a Triumph Tiger 800. He has old videos like 5 years old that just keep getting views.

WEB

L Plate Member
Feb 14, 2020
I ride a
Triumph Thruxton + Harley Lowrider
Is that your goal though? It's just... this is motovlog, not motofixit is all

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Is that your goal though? It's just... this is motovlog, not motofixit is all
I am just offering those folk who are interested ways to expand their audience. Those that don't care about that metric, can carry on with what they are doing.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts