Status
Not open for further replies.

JDW

Wannabie Member
Oct 2, 2012
Liverpool
I ride a
Yamaha YBR 125
How often do you use your back brake? I mean when do you acutely use the back brake and how much pressure do you give it? Give me an example situation please, thanks.

Friz

HereComeDatFriz
Jul 23, 2011
Derby UK
I ride a
2018 Ducati Multistrada 1260S
JDW said:
How often do you use your back brake? I mean when do you acutely use the back brake and how much pressure do you give it? Give me an example situation please, thanks.

I use my back brake all the time, only using the front for when I really need to stop right away.
Although, I'm often told this is bad and I should use the front more. Most people us the front for stopping and the back brake just for slowing down a bit say, when they're entering a corner or in situations where they need to stop suddenly, as the back brake helps with bike stability during hard braking.

On a 125 when you don't have as much engine brake, you should probably be using the front brake all the time anyway. The drum brake on the back of the cbf really isn't that much of a problem.

Hope that helps in some way...

Mikesmotorbike

Wannabie Member
Dec 30, 2011
Guildford
www.youtube.com
I ride a
2001 Aprilia Classic 50cc (2009 - 2012)
2009 Rieju RS2 Matrix pro black edition (Dec 2011 - July 2012)
2001 Yamaha FZS600 (July2012 - January2013)
2005 CCM 404E (April 2013 - present)
the back brake is pretty useless on it's own, it normally helps to redistribute some of the weight to the rear if you really are slowing down alot, just saves the front from being over loaded.

found this video demonstrating the rear brake usage : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ED8BfPt ... re=related

Crysis

Wannabie Member
Aug 6, 2012
GR
I ride a
Weird thingy with 2 wheels 0.o
JDW said:

Myself, i use both brakes most of the time, but when it cones to stopping you gotta be close to like 75% front and 25% rear.

JDW

Wannabie Member
Oct 2, 2012
Liverpool
I ride a
Yamaha YBR 125
I've gone for the Yamaha YBR 125cc and got it insured this morning and dealer should be taxing it over the weekend, on Wednesday it should be delivered, can't wait!

Thanks to all for your helpful advice.

JDW

Wannabie Member
Oct 2, 2012
Liverpool
I ride a
Yamaha YBR 125
I did some looking around online, I think the tyres could be made of Nylon or something, I don't have a clue but probably should of asked earlier.

If this is the case, is it something I should be concerned about? Is it a material that doesn't work well on certain road and weather conditions.

Bikermole

Wannabie Member
Jan 24, 2012
Colchester, Essex
www.youtube.com
I ride a
CBR250R-ABS
JDW said:
I did some looking around online, I think the tyres could be made of Nylon or something, I don't have a clue but probably should of asked earlier.

If this is the case, is it something I should be concerned about? Is it a material that doesn't work well on certain road and weather conditions.

The standard YBR tyres are not amazing. They're designed to be cheap, and mine only lasted about 2,000 miles.
I replaced mine with Michelin Pilot Sportys. Amazing tyres, I paid £155 including fitting.

Best of luck with the YBR. I had mine for 10 months, and even did a spot of camping on it, and it was fime :)

Friz

HereComeDatFriz
Jul 23, 2011
Derby UK
I ride a
2018 Ducati Multistrada 1260S
JDW said:

The standard tyres will be good enough. Don't worry about it.

They wouldn't sell them if they weren't good enough.

66shinobi

Wannabie Member
Jul 24, 2011
liverpool
I ride a
honda CBF125
I'm from Liverpool too! Haha. I had a ybr as my first bike but sadly it was stolen just over a year ago. I've been up to Blackpool on it no problem and had a week around north Wales. It can cruise at 60 quite comfortably, any faster amd th vibration is a bit much for your nuts to handle. the tires are fine but be careful heavy breaking in the wet. I lost the front end due to a pedestrian stepping out on one of the Side roads in town. I had the Michelin everyone's mentioned on the rear already when I bought it so I can't really compare the two. The shop I'd recommend the most for anything you'll need is marriott motorcycles over on the Wirral. They're really helpful and have anything you'd need. And the best place for you to visit is 'the tap' in Eastham ferry on the Wirral. Best biker pub in the north west. Well worth the trip over the water.

The most important tip I will give you is to enjoy every moment on your bike, rain or shine. There is nothing in the world like it, apreciate it and never ever let anyone take that freedom away from you because once there, the longing to be on the bike will never leave you. I miss mine every single day

JDW

Wannabie Member
Oct 2, 2012
Liverpool
I ride a
Yamaha YBR 125
@bikermole Thanks mole, your right, Yamaha are a big company and of course they would supply decent tyres, stupid question really, thanks.

@Friz Thanks friz, I won't worry :)

@66shinobi That's cool shinobi and god damn thieves! I really hate those *******, they don't understand that people spend hours working to get these bikes, its seriously messed up. Most of them get away with it, that is the sad thing. My scooter got robbed this year, along with my aunties pedal bike. Going to Blackpool sounds like a great idea and North Wales as well! Yes, your words are very wise, freedom, the chance to get out of the house and just enjoy yourself, amazing, can't wait. Cruising at 60 comfortably is much more than I could ask for, super.

So, I've got another question, my bike will be on the driveway, I'll be putting a raincoat over it, my scooter was frozed to death during the big snowy winter a couple or few years back, it kept cuting out on me due to this and other problems with it. I'm wondering, once winter starts kicking in, what are some preparations I should do prior to riding it? How long should I leave it running? Should I rev the engine so many times? etc.

Thanks!

66shinobi

Wannabie Member
Jul 24, 2011
liverpool
I ride a
honda CBF125
Well if its a relatively new ybr it'll be fuel injected so you don't have to fiddle with a choke or anything. Id just suggest giving it a couple of minutes just to warm itself up while you put your gear on. You can normally tell when it's warm enough because the idle will settle down to normal.

Apart from that it should all be fine. Keep everything nicely maintained and it'll run forever. The ybr engine isn't powerful but as with all Yamaha engines its really well made.

DJ_Xenobot

Wannabie Member
Aug 22, 2011
London
I ride a
2008 Kawasaki ER6F
MysteriousVlogger said:
JDW said:
Varadero has great reviews, a bit bigger than I would have liked though. I'm 5ft 7 and weigh around 11 1/2 stone, the smaller the bike, the better but I'll note it down.

The pulse looks really good but certain reviews have put me off it, how many miles do you do on that per week?

I've been looking at the Honda CG125, I really like the look of it, cheap as well.

Any thoughts on this one?

Thanks.

Honda CG is a brilliant bike along with the Yamaha YBR.

If you want a smaller bike I suggest a Honda CBF125. It's an updated Honda CG with a bit of wind protection

I've ridden the Honda CBF125 For atleast... 40-60 miles and to be fair I got it up to about 75/78 and was pretty comfy the whole time! :)

dani1988

Wannabie Member
Oct 30, 2012
I ride a
yz r125
Hi all. I'm a female rider and proud owner of the yzf r125. i bought mine brand new or £3999 bak in 2010, yep its not cheap but it is a great bike. I looked on here because i wanted advice about riding on the motorway. going back a while ago when i was well........not in a great place, i forgot to check and top up my oil, then whilst on a duel carrigeway something went bang, i got it to the garage and they said i was really lucky, i didnt have a drop of oil in her, and she seemed ok once they filled her up. so being a idiot i took her on motorway and was doing around 83mph or a good 20-30mins, which is going in the red, then bang, my engine blew, i wrecked her, now i have her all new, had a brand new top engine all but the gear box, i've rode her in properly and have started a new job which requires me to go on the motorway for about 50 mins, i do around 60mph i don't like going more because of what happened even though she is capable of it. 80mph is top speed without red lining, but like some of you said, the wind can affect it, so normally 70mph when riding into full wind. i feel 70mph for a long time, to much, but again i might be paranoid, i do about 40 miles there and then later in day 40 miles back. im getting a bigger bike soon, but so far (touch wood) she's been great, and at 60-65mph i sit nehind lorries, so im not in the way, and she seems compfy with this. i do agree they arent the most compfy bikes for long journeys, they have a higher seat height than their bigger brother and the tank is very big, so you lean over alot, and most your weight goes onto your palms, so after a good 30mins, you can find some pins and needles coming on, but having said that great acceleration, amazing looking bike, i've had so many compliments and they do look much bigger than a 125cc bike. all in all great bike. :)

Skully521

Wannabie Member
Dec 17, 2012
West Midlands
I ride a
Honda Bros 650
a 125 your be able to go about 50-60mph so its technically ok for motorways. personally spend your money on getting a bigger bike and get a honda bros 400. 65mpg and will do 70 all day long. your spend less than £1k buying even a good one, i was 19 with 1 years no claims bonus and it was £150 third party fire and theft. and just because its a old bike dont think its going to brittle and break down all the time. a bros is built like a tank. i slid mine down the road, picked it up and it fired straight up.

$(KGrHqV,!jEFCY7E7TMYBQtQrGVUy!~~48_79.JPG

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/honda-bros-400/1003980560

a bigger bike dont have to be expensive. you could even spend the rest of the money you save on some good gear. if you dont have good gear the trip is going to be miserable (specially if it rains). my recommendation is weise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts