London & Paris - No Bikes Allowed?

RoadSprock

Original Vlogs
Mar 7, 2016
United Kingdom
I ride a
KTM 690 Supermoto/ Triumph Speed Triple 1050

Edit by Dan -

I wanted to make sure the vlog was based on facts and it looks like it is indeed (no offence OP)

Info here:

A new Ultra Low Emissions Zone (ULEZ) will be in place in September 2020 according to the Mayor of London Boris Johnson and all motorcycles over 13 years old will have to pay £12.50 per day to enter.

The ULEZ is the world’s first such zone and will require all vehicles travelling in the congestion charge zone of central London to meet the emissions standards 24 hours a day, seven days a week or pay a daily charge.

A consultation was launched in November 2014 and has seen more than 16,000 responses.

Bikes have been included in the charging plans despite the fact they account for less than 1% of nitrous oxide emissions and help to reduce congestion for all travellers by removing cars from the road, older bikes are regarded as heavy polluters.

The rules for motorcycles applies to motorcycles under this rule:

• Motorcycles and similar vehicles – Euro 3 (registered from July 1, 2007 - 13 years old or less in 2020). Non-compliant vehicles will pay a daily charge of £12.50.
The Mayor and Transport for London (TfL) have stated they have intentionally confirmed the ULEZ five years ahead of its introduction to give warning and preparation time for affected road users.

Residents living in the ultra low emission zone will have a three year ‘sunset period’, meaning that they do not need to comply with the emissions standards until September 2023. Classic vehicles meeting the free vehicle excise duty rules of the rolling 40 year age are also exempt from the rules.

Michele Dix, managing director of planning at TfL, said: “London’s air quality has an impact on the health of every person living in this city which is why addressing emissions from road transport is such a priority.

"The ULEZ is a feasible and effective way to improve air quality not only in central London but it will also have a positive impact across the whole city too.

"We believe that giving owners of non-compliant vehicles more than five years to prepare means that they have fair warning to decide whether to change their vehicle to one that meets the emissions standards of the zone or pay a daily charge.”

For the other vehicles the new ULEZ states:

The ULEZ will require:

• Cars and small vans – Euro 6 for diesel engines (registered from September 1, 2015 so five years old or less in 2020) and Euro 4 for petrol engines (registered from January 1, 2006 so 14 years old or less in 2020). Non-compliant vehicles could still drive in the zone but they will be required to pay a daily charge of £12.50.
  • Large vans and minibuses – Euro 6 for diesel engines (registered from 1 September 1, 2016 so four years old or less in 2020) and Euro 4 for petrol engines (registered from January 1, 2007 so 13 years old or less in 2020). Non-compliant vehicles will be required to pay a daily charge of £12.50.
  • Heavy goods vehicles, buses and coaches – Euro 6 (registered from January 1, 2014 so six years old or less in 2020 except TfL buses which are required to meet a higher standard). Non- compliant vehicles will be required to pay a daily charge of £100.

Last edited by a moderator:

dandoolittle

Site owner, lovely and adorable
Feb 9, 2013
United Kingdom
www.seomers.com
I ride a
Suzuki GSXR 1000 L5
Suzuki GSXR 1000 K7 track/race bike
Kawasaki ZX6R 98 race bike
MiniMotos
Really? Got any info to back your info up? I had a very quick Google but nothing came up?

Not saying I don't believe you ;)

dandoolittle

Feb 9, 2013
United Kingdom
www.seomers.com
I ride a
Suzuki GSXR 1000 L5
MiniMotos

RoadSprock

Original Vlogs
Mar 7, 2016
United Kingdom
I ride a
Offence taken, rage inbound.. joking. But I don't understand why they've classed the same 'penalties' as cars as the £12.50/day fee.

Reactions: dandoolittle

dandoolittle

Feb 9, 2013
United Kingdom
www.seomers.com
I ride a
Suzuki GSXR 1000 L5
MiniMotos
As I editted above, they're trying to bring it forward for 2017/18, crazy stuff for London commuters!

Edit away - I just chucked in my two cents as me or @Lurch will have 112% chance of the thread being reported in the wrong section ha

Good vlog though to be honest. Only thing I would say is if you're going to say stuff like that, back it up with a source I guess.

As said, it got me thinking and researching so well done. Worthy in the main forum anyway

Reactions: RoadSprock

RoadSprock

Original Vlogs
Mar 7, 2016
United Kingdom
I ride a
Edit away - I just chucked in my two cents as me or @Lurch will have 112% chance of the thread being reported in the wrong section ha

Good vlog though to be honest. Only thing I would say is if you're going to say stuff like that, back it up with a source I guess.

As said, it got me thinking and researching so well done. Worthy in the main forum anyway

Appreciate it! Yeah, I was going to back it to a source.. but was riding and that subject came into my head so didn't have anything to pluck out the brain that I could remember at the time.

Reactions: dandoolittle

RoadSprock

Original Vlogs
Mar 7, 2016
United Kingdom
I ride a
Good vlog, only ask is that we see more of your controls and speak up.

:)

I keep experimenting and think it's the best camera setup on a medium lense setting rather than fisheye as I feel the video quality is better :/ not sure how to get around it without losing quality or the view ahead

JonJeoprdy

Wanderer...
May 16, 2016
Colorado
I ride a
F800GS
What crap, absolutely BS! Treating any motorcycle (2 strokes aside) as heavy polluters is nothing more than a political agenda and a tax. Hope you guys in London and Paris can fight this.

Reactions: RoadSprock

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
2016 Street Triple R and a 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
The ULEZ is indeed 2020, although the rumour mill says Sadiq Khan may bring it forwards.

It has a knock on effect for all vehicles post 1973, and it gets more complicated for diesel powered vehicles including busses.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts