I ride a
Currently:

Honda CB500 Cup 1997
Suzuki GSX600F 2000
Honda CB650 Nighthawk SOHC 1982

Previously:

Yamaha Virago XV535 1989
Suzuki 125 VL Intruder V-Twin 2004
Had my CBT today. First time driving anything with a motor. Did *alright* off-road and in theory, the guy said I was fantastic, but I kept stalling the bike when trying to go off from first gear. I tried to give it a little bit of throttle but it wouldn't be enough, and would stall. Then i'd give it more, but it would be too much and the thing would go flying. Got told to come back antoher time to do the off-road, as at the first junction, the bloody thing stalled. Feeling pretty depressed and unconfident. lol Did anybody else encounter this problem when they started? :/

AZZ3R

Wannabie Member
Jul 26, 2011
Lancashire
I ride a
Kawasaki Z750R
DRider said:
Had my CBT today. First time driving anything with a motor. Did *alright* off-road and in theory, the guy said I was fantastic, but I kept stalling the bike when trying to go off from first gear. I tried to give it a little bit of throttle but it wouldn't be enough, and would stall. Then i'd give it more, but it would be too much and the thing would go flying. Got told to come back antoher time to do the off-road, as at the first junction, the bloody thing stalled. Feeling pretty depressed and unconfident. lol Did anybody else encounter this problem when they started? :/

It's a learning curve, when you go back focus on slow clutch out feel the bike move, pull it in, he won't/shouldn't rush you.

Let it out slowly, and pull it back in once your feet can't keep the bike still, after some time you will feel that as soon as your feet can't take the force of the bike you will apply a small amount of throttle & still letting the clutch out slowly.

Don't feel down about it atall, these videos of people going fast or 0-60 is just a hell of lot of practice, if you have a bike allready at your home just practice the clutch movement and then go back and show him you know how to handle the clutch.

The bike will only go as fast as you want it to.

DRider

Wannabie Member
Sep 1, 2011
Workington, Cumbria, England
I ride a
Currently:

Honda CB500 Cup 1997
Suzuki GSX600F 2000

Previously:

Yamaha Virago XV535 1989
I'm kinda better when I'm on private land trying to do clutch control, I find it a bit easier, considering there's nothing that will hit me. But when we went onto the road, I was panicing and trying hard to keep up with them, so I kept releasing it way too quickly. I'm sure as hell not going to give up (considering I bought the wagon before I got the horse..) but it's really frustrating. At one point trying to do an indicator test, I stalled the bike about 9 times in a row before I even got to the place where I had to do a shoulder check. >< Hopefully I'll get it good enough sooner rather than later.

Bloke

Wannabie Member
Sep 28, 2011
I ride a
Yamaha XJ6-S Diversion
I stalled on my test didn't even get a minor for it. Don't worry, keep the revs up and key, let the clutch out slowly. Don't dump it.

Do what someone has already said. No throttle, sit still foot on rear brake in first, clutch in.

Let the clutch out slowly (not all the way), move forward one step. pull in the clutch again, rear brake on. And repeat a crapton of times. Learn where the biting point is on that bike before going out on the road.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

gpzDave

Wannabie Member
Sep 25, 2011
Fife, Scotland
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Triumph Speed Four & Honda FES125
Don't worry about it mate I stalled the bike all the time when I was starting off, and so does just about everybody!

I don't need to add anything, try what Bloke and the others have said, they're spot on.

Friz

HereComeDatFriz
Jul 23, 2011
Derby UK
I ride a
2018 Ducati Multistrada 1260S
Couldn't stop stalling when I first started. Don't know anyone who hasnt had that problem. You get through it, just stay detirmined.

Glad to hear you finally got the licence stuff sorted and managed to do your cbt though.

JollyRoger

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
Ottawa
I ride a
2002 R6
Stalling happened to me also. It happens to everyone and is just part of learning. I did the same as you, didn't give it enough throttle, but was scared that hammering the throttle it would take off on me. Anyway, persevere and practice is all it takes, and you'll get the hang of it in no time.

ParisianZee

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
Paris, France
www.parisianzee.com
I ride a
2011 BMW F800-R
Interestingly enough I've never had stalling problems. I guess that's because I became a car driver before I became a biker.

That means I knew how a clutch works, etc.

My suggestion to you would be to train yourself with the clutch. Don't use any throttle at all. Try releasing the clutch very slowly to get a feel for it. When the bike starts moving pull the clutch back in and do it again. Then do it quicker and quicker until your body actually knows where in the clutch range is the moment where it bites and starts moving the bike.

Once you know where that spot is, add a bit of throttle when going. You'll see that you'll be doing it instinctively.

Also, some people seem to be surprised when the bike starts moving and they release the clutch fully as soon as the bike gets moving. That will cause most beginner stalls from what I've seen. Stay on the clutch a bit longer while the bike starts rolling.

Hope this helps.

ariderslife

Wannabie Member
Jul 26, 2011
Melbourne - Australia
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Currently: 2004 CB 919 - Previous rides - Honda Hornet 600 aka CB599 - Previous: 1999 Honda VTR 250: Previous Honda f4i - Previous: CBR 929 Previous: DRZ400sm: Previous 2006 gsxr 600: Previous 1989 Honda Spada VT250
its all practice mate, comes 2nd nature after some time

AZZ3R

Wannabie Member
Jul 26, 2011
Lancashire
I ride a
Kawasaki Z750R
ParisianZee said:
Stay on the clutch a bit longer while the bike starts rolling.

Thats the key to not stalling really, just a little more and don't 'Pop it' meaning dont let it out fast.

it might sound like where all saying the same stuff but it's true, slow clutch takes time to master.

Chessecake94

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
I ride a
Honda Hornet - With Beast Of A Micron Exhaust
gpzDave said:
I haven't stalled a bike since I started my routine of shouting "I'm the captain of this ship!" every time I pull away.

What ever floats your boat.

TheSvBiker

Wannabie Member
Jul 23, 2011
Kent
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Suzuki SV650s
It is difficult starting out, some people get it straight away, others don't.

I'd also recommend just finding the biting point, let the clutch out gradually and when you feel the bike wanting to edge forward, give it a little throttle. Practice makes perfect. Once you get used to were the biting point is on your bike (All bikes are different) You'll know when to give it throttle and when not to.

Listen to the revs to, I find it helps. As my instructor told me... Just like ringing a towel... left out.... right in smooooth!!! :shock:

AZZ3R

Wannabie Member
Jul 26, 2011
Lancashire
I ride a
Kawasaki Z750R
TheSvBiker said:
As my instructor told me... Just like ringing a towel... left out.... right in smooooth!!! :shock:

Thats one i've never heard, haha great though. When I turned 17 I took it on the moped because I wanted to pass it then I tought myself on my drive got insured and what not and tought myself in a car park.

(Difficult to get there, after a mile of smashing my repoductive system of the tank I managed to learn there took the day to sort of get the hang of the clutch. then took it to dual carridgeways for the gear changing.)

You'll enjoy every minute of riding, and 6months down the line you'll think phhfft that wasn't as bad as I thought.

jarrodmcwatkins

Wannabie Member
Jul 26, 2011
Minnesota
I ride a
2010 ninja zx6r
Another way to word what everyone is saying, don't think of the clutch as an on/off mechanism. Until you master it, don't be afraid to ride it . Meaning you keep it on the spot of friction until you are moving along and then still ease it out. That's why it's called the friction zone. Eventually you'll do this much faster. At very slow speeds most riders will use as much clutch as throttle to regulate their speed.

DRider

Wannabie Member
Sep 1, 2011
Workington, Cumbria, England
I ride a
Currently:

Honda CB500 Cup 1997
Suzuki GSX600F 2000

Previously:

Yamaha Virago XV535 1989
Thank you for all the fantastic advice and support, guys! A big problem is that I can't use my motorcycle for this CBT, I have to use one of there's, which is a different make, model, type, and has different foot positioning, dials, etc. to my bike, which is a bit frustrating. Whenever I got on it, the entire time, I was panicing and trying to focus on everything I had to do. Ever since I got told to come back for another try, I've been in a non-stop state of panic and fear, basically. It's incredibly annoying. lol

I don't know if I'll be aloud to get much time practice throttle and clutch control, as they only booked me down for 30 minutes of private practice before hitting the road. I know that so long as I can pass the CBT requirements, it should be pretty plain sailing in terms of learning all the rest on my own. I just have this impending feeling of doom. I've never heard of anybody needing more than 2 go's at a CBT to get their certificate, I don't want to be the one that needs more. lol

I haven't even had chance to practice clutch control on my own bike, as the weather has been abismal the past few days. I guess all I can really do is just go and see what happens, pray for the best. Again, thanks for all the fantastic advice and support however, it feels pretty good to know I'm not the only one having troubles with this. lol

AZZ3R

Wannabie Member
Jul 26, 2011
Lancashire
I ride a
Kawasaki Z750R
Also try not to fixate on the dials or the revs you will just throw yourself off ballance when you look up and find your moving but wanting to look at the clutch to see when to change.

Look straight ahead, as you release the clutch you should feel the bike, it seems to get a weaker idle (Tick over) you should be moving by this point and when you feel the bike get weaker and slightly quieter, ease on the throttle and still let the clutch out smooth otherwise it will jump and you'll be thrown all over the show.

Your bike is a 4T and the learner bike is if I'm not mistaken, finding the bite point and the feel should be alot easier as it should tick over smoother.

Unlike a 2T where it feels like being sat on a lawn morer going over the beach pebles.

When I took my test I had to learn quick on the YBR 125, I droped my bike off at the point where I was collecting the YBR from, and the practice I got for my test was riding to the test centre. having to go from my bike to that was pretty hard I must say the engine brakeing was emense compared to my bike.

I remember watching Mordeth13's video of how to ride a motorcycle and I'm sure quiet alot of people on here did the same. I watched it went outside, didn't get it right watched it again and went back outside. I was pretty much watching the video while riding I had watched it that much. don't be down by it get back to the bike and be slow and smooth you will get it don't feel that because you've had to come back you have to rush and get it all done. be smooth the instructer can't & won'trush you on the road if you don't feel ready also don't be affraid to ask him what you have asked us he'll be just as much help.

Good Luck.

gpzDave

Wannabie Member
Sep 25, 2011
Fife, Scotland
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Triumph Speed Four & Honda FES125
Remember: It will ONLY stall if you let the clutch out too quick. (You can pull away with NO throttle if you're gentle enough, I even did that once on a 50cc moped with a manual gearbox)

So concentrate on the clutch, be smooth and get used to the feel of it engaging.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts