Is There An Irc Channel Or Equivlant For Motovloggers?

Hypertard

Life, the Universe and Bikes...
May 25, 2016
Oxfordshire
I ride a
BMW F800R, Husqvarna 900R
I need that instant interaction with like minded folk. Is there a channel either for this website or for motovlogging?

HT.

Hypertard

May 25, 2016
Oxfordshire
I ride a
I'm already on one irc channel, just wondering if there was something for vloggers. Thought i'd ask here before i checked with dr. google.

dandoolittle

Site owner, lovely and adorable
Feb 9, 2013
United Kingdom
www.seomers.com
I ride a
Suzuki GSXR 1000 L5
Suzuki GSXR 1000 K7 track/race bike
Kawasaki ZX6R 98 race bike
MiniMotos
I have pondered about a chat thing on here but they get spammed to death so can't be arsed with it.

Reactions: Hypertard

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
2016 Street Triple R and a 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
An old fish forum I was in had one but it dragged the site down after one update. Nice mini chat thing available but it's for phpBB.

I don't think response times are too shabby on here. Keep the title appropriate and accurate and if people can help they will. If it's too specific a question it will always take time to be answered.

Hypertard

May 25, 2016
Oxfordshire
I ride a
I have pondered about a chat thing on here but they get spammed to death so can't be arsed with it.

If i look into registering an IRC channel, would you mind if i set one up for motovlog.com? If it fails then no skin off our noses :)

F4celess

Cold
Dec 20, 2015
I ride a
Yamaha Fazer
I'm all for this. As I frequent IRC all the time. It would be a good way to connect, and its not like the chat will be restricted to the motovlog topic. Most channels I hang on just do various banter most of the time. I can look into how things work with Freenode and see how the channel can be built up and maintained.
The main obstacle is usually people not staying around, getting impatient if times are slow and when no-one frequents it enough. So some on-site advertising might be usefull.

As for the spam question, no, it won't be overly spammed. Main channel I hang on, which is also on Freenode doesn't get any spambots. Besides, when people go "who even use IRC anymore", spambots won't be much of a focus from ill-doers.

@Hypertard, channel works fine, but you need to make sure you see when something is going on in there. (my client flashes the taskbar icon on activity).

Hypertard

May 25, 2016
Oxfordshire
I ride a
I'm all for this. As I frequent IRC all the time. It would be a good way to connect, and its not like the chat will be restricted to the motovlog topic. Most channels I hang on just do various banter most of the time. I can look into how things work with Freenode and see how the channel can be built up and maintained.
The main obstacle is usually people not staying around, getting impatient if times are slow and when no-one frequents it enough. So some on-site advertising might be usefull.

As for the spam question, no, it won't be overly spammed. Main channel I hang on, which is also on Freenode doesn't get any spambots. Besides, when people go "who even use IRC anymore", spambots won't be much of a focus from ill-doers.

@Hypertard, channel works fine, but you need to make sure you see when something is going on in there. (my client flashes the taskbar icon on activity).

Thank you for the feedback, I am currently working on the channel. I have no idea why but it wont give me channel op. I think it just need configuring. I tend to use webchat which only notifies you if someone either PM's or mentions your name.

F4celess

Cold
Dec 20, 2015
I ride a
Yamaha Fazer
Thank you for the feedback, I am currently working on the channel. I have no idea why but it wont give me channel op. I think it just need configuring. I tend to use webchat which only notifies you if someone either PM's or mentions your name.

Been hanging in there for a couple of hours now. Mind if I try tweaking stuff? I could even run the channel if you want me to.

Hypertard

May 25, 2016
Oxfordshire
I ride a
It works well and the site is promoted on it! im liking it!

Thank you, it's there if anyone needs it but it hasnt been officially endorsed and I only set it up as an experiment. Forum admins are welcome to contact me to advise on how to proceed. Happy to help!

HT.

NJBIKELIFE

YouTube MotoVlogger @ NJBIKELIFE
Jul 6, 2016
I ride a
2010 Yamaha WR250R / 2005 Yamaha FZ6S
There needs to be like an fb group msg or something, that would be sick :D

Reactions: Hypertard

F4celess

Cold
Dec 20, 2015
I ride a
Yamaha Fazer
There needs to be like an fb group msg or something, that would be sick :D

There is so many problems with using fb. Main problem is that you absolutely need to have an account. And I know a lot of people who rather wouldn't.
Facebook group chats can be a bit chaotic, and fb chats are made for tops 10 participants.
Limitations on management.
No bot support.
but hey, it can preview links and pictures and stuff.

... I like IRC.

RideEscape

Wannabie Member
Jun 1, 2016
I ride a
qsdfqsdfqsdf
I'm on the #motovlog channel as well. I've always hung out on IRC channels since I first got an internet connection. If you've got a decent number of people there it can be a great place to talk about whatever you want, and have some laughs.

For those who don't know what IRC is, it's kind of like instant messaging. So real-time chat, rather than posting messages. Multiplayer Notepad is what it's sometimes called as well :D

Reactions: F4celess

F4celess

Cold
Dec 20, 2015
I ride a
Yamaha Fazer
Going to have to add. Until a significant amount of users regularly hang in the chat and keeps a tab/window for it open constantly while on the computer . One can't expect instant response on your presence. The channel is young and has some shoes to grow into still. So have a bit of patience and maybe say something even if nobody responds immediately. A lot of the time nothing happens even if everyone is nearby, just because nobody is saying anything.

In other words. Stick around in there.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts