Is MotoVlogging dying a slow agonizing death?

Skyd

Wannabie Member
May 2, 2021
New Hampshire
I ride a
2020 RPS Hawk 250
Hey guys, so this little thought experiment was triggered by a Yammie Noob video I watched where he predicted that Motovlogging would be gone within 5 years.

Now I'm not saying he's right or wrong but it got me thinking. First of all, I have a really bad habit of being late to the party with everything. So this would be just my luck, HAHA.

But also, the newness, the shiny object effect, it's wearing off isn't it? It's becoming a bit too popular and normal so is it losing it's appeal?

That being said, I'm not a strictly vlogging channel, in fact I'm probably more geared towards how to's and reviews, installs, etc. But I enjoy riding my bike and doing some vlogging at the same time.

What's everyone's thought on this? I think there may be some truth to the fact that Motovlogging in it's purest form is on it's way out. What I mean by that is, it's become too common to see videos of some dude or dudette riding around just talking about "stuff".

But I also think that doesn't mean we can't evolve, why can't we Vlog and address a topic, teach something, spark debate, etc. And for that I think Motovlogging is alive and well.

Thoughts?

Reactions: Drakhen99

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
In my opinion, two things that should tip a viewer off the video was not worth the time:
First, any title or topic "Is X dead" in it already answers the question as no or else the creator would not be wasting time banging an empty drum for attention.
Second, the creator in this instance Yammie. Long story short - all talk and little substance.

Last edited:

Dewey316

Dewey|Rides
Oct 1, 2020
I ride a
BWM F800gs / DR650 / Honda CM450E
It depends on how or what you define it. Views for people like Waterific are down, just look at the views on his recent stuff vs stuff from two or three years ago.

However, there are motovlog channels that are huge or growing right now, they found a new niche that people enjoy.

I think a lot of this, is a few early motovloggers blew up because they were doing some new and different. Lots of motovloggers try to follow their formula, and aren't giving people something new, different or engaging.

I think anytime on YouTube that you try to mimic an established channel and style, you have to get lucky and be damn good to out-do them.

If you do something new and exciting, even within an established style like motovloging, you can find success.

I struggle with it a bit, in some ways my niche of vlog is close to the style that itchy boots and some others do, it is hard to try to make my own style and give viewers something different, it's not easy.

Skyd

Wannabie Member
May 2, 2021
New Hampshire
I ride a
2020 RPS Hawk 250
In my opinion, two things that should tip a viewer off the video was not worth the time:
First, any title or topic "Is X dead" in it already answers the question as no or else the creator would not be wasting time banging an empty drum for attention.
Second, the creator in this instance Yammie. Long story short - all talk and little substance.

Well actually his video did not have that title in fact it was something about trends or something to that effect. I came up with the "is it dead" monicker on my own and it was a honest question, I'm too new into this to really know one way or another.

Yammie is a mixed bag IMHO, I like his later content, his craigslist series is fun. Older stuff especially pre crash wasn't very good for the sport. He's matured alot from there from what I've seen but still a mixed bag.

It depends on how or what you define it. Views for people like Waterific are down, just look at the views on his recent stuff vs stuff from two or three years ago.

However, there are motovlog channels that are huge or growing right now, they found a new niche that people enjoy.

I think a lot of this, is a few early motovloggers blew up because they were doing some new and different. Lots of motovloggers try to follow their formula, and aren't giving people something new, different or engaging.

I think anytime on YouTube that you try to mimic an established channel and style, you have to get lucky and be damn good to out-do them.

If you do something new and exciting, even within an established style like motovloging, you can find success.

I struggle with it a bit, in some ways my niche of vlog is close to the style that itchy boots and some others do, it is hard to try to make my own style and give viewers something different, it's not easy.

I think I'd agree with this and sort of what I was eluding to, putting a different spin on it is a good idea, and using others as inspiration is fine as long as it's not mimicry.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I'd def not say "dead", what YN probably sees is that he isn't gaining growth from his regular motovlogs, if he still does them. I think he has made similar content in the past, as have a few other larger channels.
But those channels not getting growth, is more to do with saturation, and if there is saturation, it def isn't dead. Smaller channels will still grow, as they tend to be more social, more interested in other motovloggers and less interested in the formulae or algorithm and more about enjoying the hobby instead.

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
I think motovlogging is far from dead. Is it way over-saturated? YEP. I blame COVID - more riders at home with not much to do, so they bought GoPros and started channels [looks at self in the mirror].

I also think like most hobbies, it ebbs and flows, people come and people go. There was a channel I was watching and enjoying called Throttle Back Rubber Down, but he hasn't posted anything in almost 2 months. No idea what happened, maybe his work picked up and he got too busy to do it any more. I expect a lot of motovloggers will go this route.

Even in the over-saturated niche of "Motovlogging" on YT, there's room for everyone who wants to give it a go. Like the thread from a couple months ago, having an entertaining personality or something unique about you or your bike, those things drive views and subs. I get a good amount of my views from my tests and reviews of tech, a "motovlogger for motovloggers" if you will, so I've grasped that sub-niche firmly :D

Like HippoDrone said, those that enjoy it will continue doing it, if not for the stats, then for themselves. I find vlogging quite relaxing. The editing process is fun, the filming is fun, coming up with new ways to show my ride and things to talk about - it's all releasing my creative side. The vlogging also releases thoughts from my head and helps me process the things going on in my life - good or bad.

-John

Reactions: Skyd and HippoDrone

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
Philadelphia/South Jersey
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
I’d say YN is predicting his own future, and not motovlogging’s. For someone to say they know the totality of all motovlogs, and therefore they can see its direction is a bit much. No one can see the future. Motovlog views are also affected by YT’s algorithms which started out to be very different than what they are today. I’d also say that ups and downs are pretty common in any number of vlogging communities from traveling, cooking, gardening, hiking - you name it.

No one saw this Pandemic coming, and it’s changed everything. Technology, cameras, bikes, and means to watch the internet are still developing and changing as the world becomes both small and wide at the same time.

Anytime I hear someone make a bold prediction of the future, It never happens the way they expect it too. A lot of times they’re just wrong.

- Wolf

SighBored

@thesighbored
Jan 18, 2015
Malaysia
www.thesighbored.com
I ride a
2012 Kawasaki ZX-6R
I would say because society now is made up of people that only can brain short videos that do pointless and stupid things so if you are not part of that trend, you're out of the loop.

Reactions: Skyd

BikeFather

Wannabie Member
Apr 11, 2021
I ride a
Harley Davidson Sport Glide
It depends on what you define as Motovlogging.

If you're talking about a video where someone is randomly rambling for like 20-30 minutes without getting to the point, YES most likely will die, because people are busy.

If you're talking about someone who has carefully planned, and structured a video, and created a video that provides value, and it's engaging.. then NO, this will not die any time soon.

The standards have increased because there is so much content out there, so many options to choose from, so many other things people can do, have access to, not just from a video perspective, but in life in general, there are so many other ways people entertain themselves, and what that means for us .. is that we need to create better content.

Back to my question.. it depends on what you define as moto vlogging. quoting from a website:
"Vlogging (short for “video blogging”) is the daily practice of capturing and sharing vlogs characteristically featuring a vlogger shooting themselves at arm’s length throughout their everyday activities. "

So the way I see it.. You can create video content, or you can vlog. They are actually 2 different things.

You see big channels like PotatoJet for example, nothing to do with motorcycles, but his main channel is all about videos that are straight to the point, tutorials, reviews, etc.. and only years later, he opened a 2nd channel, where he vlogs.. and that's more to do with his day to day activities.

And there are many other similar examples. but why doing in this order? Why not just start vlogging straight away?
Well, because if you don't have an audience.. if no one knows you, people won't really be interested in what's happening with your life. However, if you start with content which more or less is straight to the point, guides, tutorials, reviews, etc.. You build that audience, and later on, if you want to, you can start vlogging as well;.

And even then.. Will all your subscribers be interested in your vlogs? NO of course, not. The last time I checked PotatoJet had like 500k subscribers on his main channel, whilst his Vlog channel only had about 20k.

That's quite a big difference.. Why so big? Because not everyone will be interested in him on what he had for breakfast or whatever else people talk in their vlogs.

So if that's the kind of moto vlogging you're referring to, will it die? Probably not, at least not with bigger established channels, because they have an audience already.

But if you're just starting out, and straight away create moto vlogs instead of creating good quality video content, then it will be very very hard to grow. And eventually, the person will just give up because they are not getting many views on their channel, compared to the time and effort they are investing in those motovloggs.

So it will not necessarily die because there isn't an audience out there, but it's more likely to die because people are giving up because they are not getting views, subscribers, etc..

It's like a catch 22.

So the takeaway I got from learning all this, is not to be a moto vlogger, at least not to begin with, but be more of a moto video creator instead.

Create content based on what people want to watch, based on what people search for, even more importantly because at the end of the day youtube is a search engine.

This is a passion for most of us, but we need to remember that in order to grow this is also a two way street. It's not just about what we want to create videos on, but it's also about what viewers want to watch.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drakhen99 and Skyd

BikeFather

Wannabie Member
Apr 11, 2021
I ride a
Harley Davidson Sport Glide
PS: My post above may seem a bit harsh, but it's just my opinion.

Just this morning I came across someone who was trying to promote his YT video, he had a good catchy title.. how a certain company is scamming people. but. the video was 44 minutes long..

Mate. I have a life, a job, a baby, I don't have 44 minutes to watch this...when you can simply condense all that perhaps in 4-5 minutes.

That's the point I was trying to make. Stick to the point, make good videos, engaging videos, showcase your personality, your creative and people will watch your content.

Riderguide

Neil - The Rider Guider
Feb 24, 2019
South Australia
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Yamaha Tenere 700 T7
To be honest I'm exactly what you said, not a motovlogger, I do riding tips, reviews and adventure riding stuff ... whilst mostly riding my bike. There are a lot of us doing that under the guise of motovlogging, maybe that's the new motovlog? Is it dying off or has it just evolved?

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
Philadelphia/South Jersey
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
Honestly I’ve never approached my videos as a standard motovlog, but just as a short film. Giving your audience what they want by being direct, focused and on topic is probably the best way to create a motovlog. I’ve tried to do that many times (with mixed results and not always successfully, but that’s on me). The problem is it can make all motovlogs look the same structurally and/or formulaically.

Sometimes when I see the formula it’s a turnoff because it feels like another rubber stamped motovlog. However, I’m not a typical YT viewer. I don’t mind long content (if I have the time), and I tend not to watch the big channel because I don’t want to ‘watch’ something. I want engagement. I want to leave a comment and get a reply from the motovlogger. I want a conversation. With the big channels that doesn’t always happen. You’re a drop in the ocean to them.

For me what makes (moto)vlogging better than watching TV or cable is the engagement. Once that’s lost than so am I as a viewer. I realize the average YT viewer probably has the attention span of a goldfish, but as motovloggers I don’t think any of us want them as viewers, or to normalize that trend, or help it along its way. I think as motovloggers we’re all outsiders, and to an extent so are our audiences, and that’s fine. As word gets around to the outsiders, then hopefully it’ll spread to more mainstream demographics. Look at me. I’m a Black guy riding a scooter and making motovlogs. I’m on the rarity level of a Black astronaut, or an African heavy metal headbanger (both actually exist), but I’m having the time of my life. I’m ecstatic if a video gets a hundred views, and a left comment makes my day.

My channel is growing, and I’m happy when it does, but that’s not why I motovlog. To be honest I probably don’t know why I do, only that I really love shooting, riding and making videos. Sometimes it’s not about the views, but as one of my best friends once told me about art — ‘just see what happens’.

- Wolf

Skyd

Wannabie Member
May 2, 2021
New Hampshire
I ride a
2020 RPS Hawk 250
Wow, some seriously good discussion here guys. I wish I had more time to dive in and respond in detail but I think there's some very valid points here and sort of exactly what I was trying to uncover with this post.

Evolution and adaptation, and so perhaps MotoVlogging by it's purest definition has gone the way of the Dodo, but good Moto Video Content as @Alex2wheel said is still alive and well and perhaps even growing.

So I came into this because I've dabbled in content creation before, but in the way of written content, internet marketing, etc. I've had minor success, life got in the way. But I've been friends with Motocheez since before he started his channel and I've recently really started conversing with him about it and got inspired as I've been riding since I was 14. I came into this thinking - ya I want to motovlog, and then as I began doing it, it really transformed into me being a "Moto Video Content Creator". In fact I only have 1 strictly "motovlog" type video out of the 12 or so I've done so far. Surprisingly it's actually doing quite well, but not nearly as good as my First ride review on my bike.

Anyway, all that to say - I think these responses are very valid and we've uncovered the most likely path for successful "motovloggers". Gone is the day of jumping on a bike and rambling on about life, work, etc. That worked when it was new and different, but as mentioned, it's oversaturated so time to adapt.

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
My channel is growing, and I’m happy when it does, but that’s not why I motovlog. To be honest I probably don’t know why I do, only that I really love shooting, riding and making videos. Sometimes it’s not about the views, but as one of my best friends once told me about art — ‘just see what happens’.

- Wolf

How did you get a hold of my internal company memo stating my mission statement? Seriously though, I am 100% on board with what you said - I love filming, riding, and editing, so I make a ton of videos "just to see what happens". Sometimes I get an algorithm-based idea where I think people will flock to a specific idea or how-to, and I do that, but mostly it's just what I want to show and how can I amp it up or show it in a fun way people will want to watch?

Anyway, all that to say - I think these responses are very valid and we've uncovered the most likely path for successful "motovloggers". Gone is the day of jumping on a bike and rambling on about life, work, etc. That worked when it was new and different, but as mentioned, it's oversaturated so time to adapt.

I agree - and since I'm too lazy to have 2 or 3 channels for the different things I do, well, I just do them all on 1 channel. It's probably not the best idea, but it's what I have the bandwidth for, and the results so far have been OK.

-John

Reactions: scooterwuf and Skyd

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
I'll be honest, I don't really care if motovlogging is or isn't dying. I'm having fun making videos for my channel and I'm going to keep doing it as a hobby I enjoy whether there is an audience or not. It may sound odd but I'm doing it more for my own enjoyment than for any other reason. I like having a YouTube channel I can call my own! :D

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
I'll be honest, I don't really care if motovlogging is or isn't dying. I'm having fun making videos for my channel and I'm going to keep doing it as a hobby I enjoy whether there is an audience or not. It may sound odd but I'm doing it more for my own enjoyment than for any other reason. I like having a YouTube channel I can call my own! :D

Amen to that! :D

-John

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited

Me too because my porn vlog days were blown out the window after some government contracting.

nd-film-series-drawing-james-bond-cartoon-business.png

• Haha
Reactions: Drakhen99

nophix

Where's my coffee?
Apr 15, 2012
Stevens Point WI
I ride a
2015 Yamaha FJ-09
I think Moto Vlogging is dead for HIM. But not dying at all. His content moved to a different format, and that's what his audience expects now. It's hard to backtrack from that. Meanwhile, I know a lot of people who want the moto vlog style content, and there are several people doing very well with it because they've stayed in that format, and continue to build their audience around that style.

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
I think Moto Vlogging is dead for HIM. But not dying at all. His content moved to a different format, and that's what his audience expects now. It's hard to backtrack from that. Meanwhile, I know a lot of people who want the moto vlog style content, and there are several people doing very well with it because they've stayed in that format, and continue to build their audience around that style.

Agreed. I think you hit the nail on the head when it comes to YN. His subscriber base wants Top 5/7/10 lists and exhaust/tail tidy/giveaway bike vids.

The base for guys like Shadetree Surgeon, well they like the Lifestyle Vlogger videos, I think. I know I enjoy the myriad of things he does on and around bikes.

My subscriber base likes a guy who, well hell, I don't know why they subscribe. Probably some self-created obligation to subscribe since I subbed them :D

-John

Reactions: nophix

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts