Is It Possible To Sand Your Plain Plates (cbr 954rr Clutch)

DutchyDoes

Wannabie Member
Sep 18, 2016
I ride a
Honda CBR 954rr Fireblade
Honda CB550 Four
Hi!

I'm curious about the following.

When the plainplates (steel plates) of your clutch have burn spots and are somewhat glazed, but they aren't warped, would it do any good if you 'softly' sand the plain plates. My thinking is: when plain plates are glazed they increase the chance of slipping. When this happens you get burning spots and possible warpage..... So lightly roughen them up would make them functional again....

Any logic in this...?

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
2016 Street Triple R and a 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
If they're blued (high spots) probably not as the metal may have been denatured. Steel plates aren't dear are they? And if there's some wear on the friction plates then you might not want to make the other plates thinner.

DutchyDoes

Wannabie Member
Sep 18, 2016
I ride a
Honda CBR 954rr Fireblade
Honda CB550 Four
If they're blued (high spots) probably not as the metal may have been denatured. Steel plates aren't dear are they? And if there's some wear on the friction plates then you might not want to make the other plates thinner.

@Lurch : That could be true. Thnx. As regards to the softly sanding I'm not convinced though ;). I mean using waterproof sandpaper and softly roughen them up, so the thickness will be affected only marginally (at least that's what I think). Perhaps there's someone here who has tried it before???

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
Other thing is, you need to evenly do it as well, they rely on being perfectly flat and even and smooth.

RiderInRed

The guy who rides in red
Jun 2, 2016
Armenia
www.vms-studio.com
I ride a
MV Agusta F3, Yamaha R1
Other thing is, you need to evenly do it as well, they rely on being perfectly flat and even and smooth.
simple, put black marker all over the plate. put thin (1000 grit?) sandpaper on totally flat surface. Put plate marked-face down and do tad bit of sanding. after inspection, see if all marker is gone. do untill all is gone. That way you're even.

Scootnfool

Scooter vlogger extraordinaire
Oct 13, 2016
Lancaster, PA
I ride a
Honda PCX150
I wouldn't recommend it. The friction and steel plates are supposed to be a specified thickness (within a tolerance range). If they've gotten overheated, they probably are warped. You need to check for war page and replace the plates. The idea of sanding them doesn't seem wise to me.

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
Just looked up prices (UK) for a new basket, it looks to be pretty cheap, and really not worth the time sanding plates which may not be any good anyway. Seen kits from £30.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts