Iphone filming.

VetBiker

Wannabie Member
Sep 26, 2021
I ride a
Harley Road Glide and Triumph Bonnie
How many of you use your iphone for filming while not on the bike? I have recently started doing that and looking for a recommendation for a gimbal for the iphone 12 ?

Reactions: Drakhen99

Theodor

Don't wannabe
Nov 16, 2017
Estonia
I ride a
Valkyrie 1500
I use my phone. Android one though. Last 2 phones of mine, I have chosen specifically by camera specs. My most important requirement was simply to have lens with optical stabilization, so I would not need a gimbal. It does help, if I use a mini tripod as a handle though, to reduce hand shake.

VetBiker

Wannabie Member
Sep 26, 2021
I ride a
Harley Road Glide and Triumph Bonnie
I use my phone. Android one though. Last 2 phones of mine, I have chosen specifically by camera specs. My most important requirement was simply to have lens with optical stabilization, so I would not need a gimbal. It does help, if I use a mini tripod as a handle though, to reduce hand shake.
I just ordered the same sort of thing as well.

Theodor

Don't wannabe
Nov 16, 2017
Estonia
I ride a
Valkyrie 1500
I think more important than the gimbal, would be to master steady movements, like ninja walk and panning from hips etc. Plenty of tutorials online. Obviously gimbal would make it easier, and correct small mistakes\shakes, but it is yet another thing to have with you, and set up before filming.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I do use my phone on occasion, but prefer (when it works) to use my GoPro Hero 9 with the Max Lens Mod fitted as it is very stable. The issue is sometimes it can be hard to frame the shot properly as the rear screen switches off after 1min, whereas with a phone it stays on.

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
Philadelphia/South Jersey
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
I use an iPhone 6 since it has stabilization with a Hohem iSteady gimbal (I don’t use it as a phone), however for my main camera off my bike I use my Canon Rebel T7i with an external mic. I’m about to order a new tripod since my current ones are both falling apart, and too light for a heavier camera and attached accessories.

- Wolf

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
How many of you use your iphone for filming while not on the bike? I have recently started doing that and looking for a recommendation for a gimbal for the iphone 12 ?

I use my Note20 Ultra for off-bike filming quite a bit. The depth of field is nice, and the close-up [not quite macro] is particularly good for showing details of things. I will record with a GoPro at the same time, to use the audio from my lav mic & rode wireless go setup. That way I can walk around or pan the camera around and my audio doesn't get effected. I just sync the clips up in Resolve and cut out the GoPro footage at that point [unless I need to show something from it].

I usually try to mount the camera on something like a tripod or on a selfie stick to free up my hands and remove errant movement. [I have a video coming out soon where I clamped the selfie stick to the bed of my truck so the phone was at the right height and level - it worked quite well]. I also have a Ulanzi phone clamp thing that screws onto a threaded camera mount.

I do use my phone on occasion, but prefer (when it works) to use my GoPro Hero 9 with the Max Lens Mod fitted as it is very stable. The issue is sometimes it can be hard to frame the shot properly as the rear screen switches off after 1min, whereas with a phone it stays on.

Why didn't I think of that? That's BRILLIANT! After reading your post, I tested it, and sure enough, it IS very stable and keeps the horizon level. Thanks! :D I hadn't even realized that the MLM had Wide and Linear modes!

-John

• Love
Reactions: HippoDrone

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts