Intro For Critique (a.k.a. Are Most Intros Too Long And Do We Even Need Them?)

endurovlog

Wannabie Member
Aug 18, 2015
www.crosstrainingenduro.com
I ride a
Beta
I used to have a standard 10 second intro for all my vlogs. But then I noticed that a lot of tv shows now only have a five second intro, and in sit coms even that is often buried about three minutes into the show.

Then I figured maybe just flash up a quick logo and heading but otherwise just jump straight in. Like this.

They say most viewers have the attention span of a goldfish so I reckon you have to try and hook their interest in that first five seconds, or at least make it clear what the video is about.

What do you guys think? I suppose marketing experts might say there's less brand recognition without a dedicated intro? Anway, keen on your thoughts with this intro as I'd like to know if I'm barking up the right tree or not.

endurovlog

Wannabie Member
Aug 18, 2015
www.crosstrainingenduro.com
I ride a
Beta
....Personally I HATE long intros and will usually skip them even if I miss the start of the video.....

A classic example for me is the intro to longer Red Bull vids using that 'Sail' song. It goes for about a minute and is beautifully put together but once you've seen it a few times you just fast forward of course.

Reactions: TriumfAnt

JoshAFJ

Because Motorcycle
Sep 21, 2016
Cincinnati, OH
I ride a
07 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
I like short intros. Mine is like right at the limit for even my own tastes honestly. I need a better one.

MotoNoob

Wannabie Member
Dec 27, 2016
Middletown, DE
motonoob.com
I ride a
2002 Honda Shadow VT750
Honestly, I can't tell what or where your brand is with that video. I see your logo quite small in the upper right corner briefly, but it doesn't read as an intro because there wasn't a hard set start and end. TV shows can get away with it because they have their 5 second intro (brand recognition), then they scroll the credits across the bottom of the screen halfway into the episode.

BlakShadow

The Masshole
Sep 26, 2016
Massachusetts
I ride a
Honda Shadow ACE 1100
I used to start with my 7-8 second intro for my first vids. It's short, sweet, and to the point. But later I found it worked better to start with a teaser before the intro. I could be a key sentence I said during the vlog to grab the viewer's attention, or a purposely recorded teaser telling in just a few seconds what the video will be about. Then my intro, and then into the actual content.

Reactions: Sharktank

Cherrie

Triumph Street Triple Rider
Mar 12, 2015
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Triumph Street Triple
I made an intro in a few of my recent videos... but I'm not sure if it's annoying to people or too long?
(i'm holding the camera facing me, i'm turning around and it has a bit of music and white logo)

SighBored

@thesighbored
Jan 18, 2015
Malaysia
www.thesighbored.com
I ride a
2012 Kawasaki ZX-6R
Personally I hate long-winded intros that are the same for every single video, so with that in mind, I make mine as short and simple as possible. Like 3 seconds, so people won't even need to skip over the intro.

Cherrie

Triumph Street Triple Rider
Mar 12, 2015
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Triumph Street Triple
Personally I hate long-winded intros that are the same for every single video, so with that in mind, I make mine as short and simple as possible. Like 3 seconds, so people won't even need to skip over the intro.
the three second ones are the ones I like to watch too, unoffensive and doesn't make me want to fast forward

Reactions: SighBored

Sharktank

Wannabie Member
Sep 2, 2017
Tampa, FL
I ride a
2011 Road Glide Custom
I used to start with my 7-8 second intro for my first vids. It's short, sweet, and to the point. But later I found it worked better to start with a teaser before the intro. I could be a key sentence I said during the vlog to grab the viewer's attention, or a purposely recorded teaser telling in just a few seconds what the video will be about. Then my intro, and then into the actual content.
I'm glad this discussion is here. It's something I've been wondering myself. I've been a podcast consumer for many years and the ones I enjoy the most do something similar here. A little bit of show, then a short and familiar intro, then on with the rest of it.

lupin

2016 Solar Bear Champion.
Jul 5, 2015
Australia
www.imlupz.com
I ride a
FZ1N
I've had long, short and no intros.

My general feeling is nobody really cares as long as it's well done.

I'll do something much more simple for 2018 I think though.

LoneWally

All Season Rider
Aug 29, 2017
Leicestershire
I ride a
2007 Hartford HD125L, 2013 Honda CB500X
I used to use a 30 second intro but people didn't like it. Currently using as a channel intro but do plan on making a new one thats only about 5 or 10 seconds long

HYF

HOLDYOURFIRE
Aug 8, 2017
england, east sussex
I ride a
triumph speedmaster
my intro is about 3/4 seconds long, i have never been a fan of longer intros anything under 5 seconds is good i think

RuckinScot

Scooter vlogger
Mar 28, 2018
Okinawa, Japan
I ride a
Honda Ruckus
I had a real nice intro a friend made for me. It was about a minute long. I quickly realized it was annoying. I’ve since chopped it and made it about 10 seconds. Definitely keep them short.

Yours is nice and the right length. :cool:

Javiyellow

Motovloggers Unite!!!
Mar 26, 2018
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Honda VFR800
Whenever you use a teaser then the viewer feels more inclined to watch the video at least up until that point to satisfy their curiosity so this is a great idea that I'm going to implement into my future videos.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I personally don't like teasers unless it is a funny part that would need explaining by watching the rest of the vid

WingManGT

Wannabie Member
Jan 16, 2017
Varna, Bulgaria
www.facebook.com
I ride a
2004 Kawasaki ZX-6r
I've had an intro around 20s long, ditched it after the 6-7 videos cause it felt tedious to watch every time, after I removed it the average watch time for my videos increased quite a bit.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts