Internal Microphone - The Breathing Is Real

RoadSprock

Original Vlogs
Mar 7, 2016
United Kingdom
I ride a
KTM 690 Supermoto/ Triumph Speed Triple 1050
So I've hooked up an internal microphone into my helmet, picks up talking perfectly.. but when not talking you can hear every breath exhale/inhale.. I've wrapped the microphone in a deadcat, although its reduced it a little bit it's still very dominate in the audio.

Any suggestions on audio editing software/ other ideas? The microphone is positioned on the side of cheek rather than front on and there isn't any alternative.

Arctic Pride

L Plate Member
Mar 3, 2014
I ride a
lot of different things
wrap the mic in foam first (try old sponge) then the deadcat material

RoadSprock

Original Vlogs
Mar 7, 2016
United Kingdom
I ride a
Do you mean like cut into a sponge and slide it in or wrap it round then cable tie?

Arctic Pride

L Plate Member
Mar 3, 2014
I ride a
lot of different things
cut a cube or ball and make an opening for the mic then shove it in and wrap the dead cat material around it

BbqRider

Wannabie Member
Aug 30, 2015
I ride a
Suzuki DR650
It helps if you move it away from your mouth a bit. Like next to your cheek instead of directly in front of your mouth. Also point it away from your mouth

Reactions: Lurch

Seacoast

Wannabie Member
Apr 10, 2016
Dover, NH
I ride a
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650
One thing i find that helps is to put the microphone behind the cheek padding but towards the front. That helps cut the breathing and other noises and still picks up your voice great. I have it just barely behind the cheek padding towards the front of the helmet so it's still in front of my mouth but behind all that cushioning. It seems to do the trick.

Reactions: HDMOTO

RoadSprock

Original Vlogs
Mar 7, 2016
United Kingdom
I ride a
The way my liner is inside the helmet doesn't give me space for the microphone to go behind it, so might have to find a sponge to cut.

MotoDynsty

Putting the Nasty in DyNasty
Mar 11, 2016
Las Vegas, NV
I ride a
K8 GSXR 600
mic foam, dead cat, nitrile glove over all that. Buddy did it to his mic and it sounds perfect with almost no breathing noise. Ill be doing the same to my mic

Reactions: HDMOTO

RoadSprock

Original Vlogs
Mar 7, 2016
United Kingdom
I ride a
Haha, is there a microphone sensitivity setting on the GoPro's?? Just played back a video today and I don't think many people are going to listen to my heavy breathing.. ;)

Arctic Pride

L Plate Member
Mar 3, 2014
I ride a
lot of different things
There's no mic sensitivity control on the camera, getting the right mic setup takes time you will need to experiment with it. Every helmet and face is different.

HDMOTO

Photographer/MotoVlogger
Apr 11, 2016
Melbourne, Australia.
I ride a
2005 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R
One thing i find that helps is to put the microphone behind the cheek padding but towards the front. That helps cut the breathing and other noises and still picks up your voice great. I have it just barely behind the cheek padding towards the front of the helmet so it's still in front of my mouth but behind all that cushioning. It seems to do the trick.

I agree on this.

Hide it anywhere, even really deep behind the cheek pads(or any pads near front) Where you think it wouldn't pick up anything, but it will and it should sound much better.

MiGlyRides

Geordie-Aussie
Jan 5, 2016
Gold Coast, Queensland
I ride a
Honda CBR 500 RA & Honda MSX 125 (GROM)
I have the same problem, not as bad as it used to be, all I done was moved it down away form my mouth & the chin skirt helps keep wind noise down.

RoadSprock

Original Vlogs
Mar 7, 2016
United Kingdom
I ride a
It's a pain as I can barely fit the extra cabling behind the cheek pad so the microphone won't have any chance.

BurntRuber

Burnt Rubber TV
Apr 8, 2016
Florida
I ride a
DRZ400SM and random stuff people let me ride
i have my mic pretty much right in front of my mouth with only the foam it came with and i don't get and breathing noise unless I'm breathing heavy from stuff like pushing my bike and stuff like that.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts