Insta360 X4

Theodor

Don't wannabe
Nov 16, 2017
Estonia
I ride a
Valkyrie 1500
Just saw the video introduction.
Increased quality or framerate is definitely something I have been waiting for. Increased runtime is also welcome.
But compared to what I have now - the X2, the weight is a third more. Mine is already bouncing around a lot, on the stick and collapsing the stick on uneven roads. I am also not a fan of so big screen, that they have since X3
Other thoughts anyone?

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Aye it is heavy and the sensor is the same as it was before, so I don't know how they are gonna support 8k without upscaling and using AI which I think is how they are doing that and managing to get increased fps too. I'm not gonna spend out on it, TBH, I hardly use my X2, and running a single helmetcam is nice and simple to edit.

I may get an X5 if it gets an improved sensor, but unless I use a camera regularly, it just isn't worth the outlay for the minimum it adds to a video.

Last edited:

Theodor

Don't wannabe
Nov 16, 2017
Estonia
I ride a
Valkyrie 1500
I find the 360 camera makes my travel video recording much safer and easier. I can concentrate on riding and don't have to aim the camera at views.
No use of it during majority of normal vlogs though.

I did not notice the sensor, but since posting last post, I did notice the standard bundle does not even include the rubber lens cap. Talk about saving a penny.

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
Aye it is heavy and the sensor is the same as it was before, so I don't know how they are gonna support 8k without upscaling and using AI which I think is how they are doing that and managing to get increased fps too. I'm not gonna spend out on it, TBH, I hardly use my X2, and running a single helmetcam is nice and simple to edit.

I may get an X4 or X5 if it gets an improved sensor, but unless I use a camera regularly, it just isn't worth the outlay for the minimum it adds to a video.
Interesting... I watched a bunch of X4 videos today, and not a single one mentioned it having the same sensor... so I think you're spot-on with the upscaling being done in-camera. What a shame. The only one who came close was David Manning, who said the file sizes are the same between the X3 and X4, and he said it was due to the switch from H.264 to H.265... but geez.

No wonder I didn't notice an improvement in the X4 clarity... if it's upscaling, it's never quite the same as recording natively in the higher resolution.

Thanks @HippoDrone for that - I was half tempted to buy one... now, not so much. I'll wait and see what GoPro is doing with the Max 2, which is still rumored to come out this year. It's rivaling the Cyber Truck for vaporware at this point... and the Cyber Truck actually came out!

-John

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
LOL, I got a buddy who did the same thing... I wonder if he's gonna return it and get an X4?

I bet your friend could, too.

-John

Reactions: HippoDrone

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
I love my One X2 but my biggest issue with it is the resolution clarity, so on paper the One X4 sounds great to me. But if they are just upscaling the same sensor image then it probably won't be what I'm looking for.

I need to research this extensively, because if it really is getting much improved image quality then I might be buying one to replace my X2.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
If you get one, I'd be very interested in your thoughts on it/review video.

Reactions: Drakhen99

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
Man, all I can find on YT are sponsored One X4 videos, just lots of people gushing over it while hitting all the talking points on the brochures. No actual resolution comparisons or image quality testing that I can find at all.

I wish I had one to test, I'd put it through its paces vs my Hero 8 and One X2! As it is I can't tell if I want to buy one or not, I just don't have enough information to make a decision.

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
Man, all I can find on YT are sponsored One X4 videos, just lots of people gushing over it while hitting all the talking points on the brochures. No actual resolution comparisons or image quality testing that I can find at all.

I wish I had one to test, I'd put it through its paces vs my Hero 8 and One X2! As it is I can't tell if I want to buy one or not, I just don't have enough information to make a decision.
That's what happens - give it a couple weeks and real people will be using it, complete with AVC1 and VP09 codecs on YouTube, giving you a much better impression of how it'll appear for you - the pros all pretty much get the AV01 codec on YT.

-John

Theodor

Don't wannabe
Nov 16, 2017
Estonia
I ride a
Valkyrie 1500
I agree, all videos that came out right after the unveil, those people have been sent the device before it was released. This is just so common marketing nowdays.
I even saw someone do a semi-comparison between X3 and X4 but it was sort of quick glimpses between the clips and I could not quite tell the difference he was trying to point out. Colors are rather different though, but I am not sure if that was manipulation with settings, because my X2 colors don't look as dull/neutral as that videos X3 footage was.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts