Insta360 Discount

YBGuy

Yellow Backpack Guy
Aug 14, 2020
San Francisco Bay Area
ybguy.com
I ride a
2005 RC51, and a 2004 Honda CBR1000RR
My brother gets/has all the cool stuff. I was at his house yesterday and saw on his desk he has an Insta 360 OneX. I almost asked if I could borrow it for a couple days. Interesting idea for a camera, it appears that it has two cameras, one on either side instead of the camera body, instead of having some sort of ball sphere camera like I was imagining.

MachKneel

Insta : @flex_and_freedom
Mar 23, 2021
Co.Derry, Ireland
I ride a
Harley Davidson Softail 2021, Yamaha R6 2005
Yep, I just ordered an Insta360 One X2 myself! Looking forward to seeing how creative I can get with it. :cool:

Awesome, looking forward to seeing how you get on with it! Aaron and I are currently debating whether to split costs and just take the plunge and get one. For the good of the channel! ha.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Awesome, looking forward to seeing how you get on with it! Aaron and I are currently debating whether to split costs and just take the plunge and get one. For the good of the channel! ha.
If you decide to get one, drop me a pm and I'll try get you some free bits :)

WaltInPA

Wannabie Member
Jun 10, 2020
Pennsylvania
www.waltinpa.com
I ride a
2018 Honda CB650F
Yep, I just ordered an Insta360 One X2 myself! Looking forward to seeing how creative I can get with it. :cool:

I'm curious why you chose the Insta360 One X2 over the GoPro Hero Max?
I've got a birthday coming up and I was considering getting one but I haven't narrowed down what I want just yet. On one hand I'd like to stick with the GoPro Ecosystem but on the other hand I'm seeing more and more people go the Insta360 route.

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
I've got a birthday coming up and I was considering getting one but I haven't narrowed down what I want just yet. On one hand I'd like to stick with the GoPro Ecosystem but on the other hand I'm seeing more and more people go the Insta360 route.

The Insta is lighter, has slightly higher resolution, and their Studio app is from what I hear, much better.

I too wanted to stay in the GoPro ecosystem, so I got the Max, and have been quite happy with it, even with it bouncing off the ground at 50mph LOL.

Also, I'm not sure if Insta sells lens protectors, but they're a good idea if you're going to try for some wild shots like I do.

-John

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I've had both and sold the GoPro Max as I found the Insta360 cameras so much easier to work with (I have the One X, One R & One X2).

The Insta is lighter, has slightly higher resolution, and their Studio app is from what I hear, much better.

I too wanted to stay in the GoPro ecosystem, so I got the Max, and have been quite happy with it, even with it bouncing off the ground at 50mph LOL.

Also, I'm not sure if Insta sells lens protectors, but they're a good idea if you're going to try for some wild shots like I do.

-John
The One R has hard lens protectors, I use that camera on my dirtybike as it has a tougher time. The One X2 has lens protectors, but they are not really much more than stickers, but will save a few scratches. Def worth buying them with the cameras though.

EDIT: The One X2 now has hard lens protectors, I've not tested them though.

Last edited:
Reactions: YBGuy and Drakhen99

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT

I researched both extensively, my reasons:

- The Insta360 One X2 is lighter.
- It has a slimmer profile when turned sideways into the wind.
- That slimmer profile seems to reduce stitching between the lenses, the GoPro Max has more pronounced stitching from the reviews I saw.
- The Insta360 software seems much nicer and easier to work with than the GoPro suite.

I would have loved to stay with GoPro but the Insta360 just seemed like the better purchase to me.

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
I've had both and sold the GoPro Max as I found the Insta360 cameras so much easier to work with (I have the One X, One R & One X2).

The One R has hard lens protectors, I use that camera on my dirtybike as it has a tougher time. The One X2 has lens protectors, but they are not really much more than stickers, but will save a few scratches. Def worth buying them with the cameras though.

Good to know, should I ever truly break my Max :D OneR FTW!

-John

• Love
Reactions: HippoDrone

Big-B 360

Wannabie Member
Jun 16, 2021
Washington
I ride a
2019 Kawasaki Z900 & Yamaha YZ450F
Hey guys,

I'm new to this forum. Came across it trying to locate a solution to a problem that's been plaguing me for the last few seasons while trying to record usable external audio w my insta360 cams on my MC while also using my GPS remote for simplicity & the telemetry "stats" data.

Wondering if anyone else has encountered this issue using the same equipment and if at all possible knows if there is any possible solution whatsoever, aside from ditching the GPS remote for recording on bike vids.

This is my 4th insta360 cam over the past 3 seasons & honestly given the sub-par support, SW bugs & lack of fixes for known issues / recent FW updates, I'm thinking its prob gonna be the last one I buy from Insta at this point.

The problem I'm having is that the audio (while using USB-C to 3.5mm adapter w 3 different external mics & TRS adapters) constantly cuts out while filming. Regardless of where the gain level is set to on the external mics. I started by using a Hi-rated sony lav. external mic, then a powered external mic & finally a Rode wireless go mic setup w & without a Lav. Every setup has had the same issue., audio is muted 80+% of the time & then cuts back in at full volume for a few secs & then back to nothing.

At this point, I'm pretty sure its down to the Gps remote causing the cut-outs, whether its the BT oe Telemetry idk, but either way the lack of functionality is pretty disappointing. Especially having spent hundreds on External audio solutions to find one to work w the camera setup that I've spent plenty more on, just to have all of my videos come out w unusable audio.

I've emailed support about the issue multiple times & have yet to receive a response or solution of any kind. Ntm, the One R has been plagued by audio issues since inception. Insta's Internal audio is useless on a MC or anything else while moving & Ext. Audio was the reason I upgraded from One X.

Plus, at this point they are well aware of the One R's Audio issues, yet they haven't released a FW update in like 6 mos or so, despite promising to do so in order to resolve the recurring audio issues people have been experiencing w the One R since day one, even tho it is still being marketed & sold.

Unfort, I ordered the Rode wireless setup pre-season, fully believing it would resolve the issues I'd been experiencing, but having used it several times now in multiple diff. configs, I've realized it's gotta be down to an Insta360 & GPS Remote HW issues. Its been raining here recently, but I'll be testing without GPS remote in the next few days to confirm or eliminate my suspicions for good.

Fyi, at this point I've had 2 One R's, w 2 Insta360 audio adapters & 3 different ext mic setups, all w the same disappointing audio results but all while using the cams & GPS remote together. So that's where my current assumption is coming from. I'm also using a top-tier Sandisk Extreme Pro 400GB V30 mem card so its def not that (same issues w 128 & 256 versions as well).

If anyone has any insights, experience with, or solutions/ work arounds for my audio dilemma that would allow me to continue using my GPS remote & the telemetry data, i would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Brian

Reactions: HippoDrone

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Hey guys,

I'm new to this forum. Came across it trying to locate a solution to a problem that's been plaguing me for the last few seasons while trying to record usable external audio w my insta360 cams on my MC while also using my GPS remote for simplicity & the telemetry "stats" data.....
If anyone has any insights, experience with, or solutions/ work arounds for my audio dilemma that would allow me to continue using my GPS remote & the telemetry data, i would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Brian
Hi Brian,
Although I have multiple Insta360 cameras, I have only really once tried using an external mic with them, that was the One R... I told the rep I deal with regarding this and was told firmware updates would see improvements, but I never bothered again as I use a GoPro hero 8 as a helmetcam and run my external mic into that, then sync up the various videos after when editing. I have heard the One X2 is better with external mics, but no experience of that myself. Have you thought that maybe 3 mics is possibly a bit much for the camera? I'd have thought if audio quality is important and you need multiple inputs, then recording audio separately with a standalone audio recorder would be a better option.
For me, until the 360 cameras can at least match the 1080 footage from the likes of GoPro when windowed, they will always be a secondary camera as in my eyes, they are more like good 720p when windowed that has been upscaled to 1080p. The next generation of memory cards will hopefully bring an improvement in resolution and fps from the next generation of 360 cameras, here is hoping that they work on the audio too from them.

I'd def look at recording your audio separately and adding it in to the video on editing, it isn't that hard to do, it just means you need an audio recorder to switch on and keep in batteries.

Reactions: Drakhen99

Theodor

Don't wannabe
Nov 16, 2017
Estonia
I ride a
Valkyrie 1500
Depends of the editor. Most editors do not have integration with insta raw files, which means you need to spend twice the time - first framing the shots in insta studio and then exporting them to normal video files and then working with the exported files in your daily editor.
Also worth a note, insta studio does not work on opensource operating systems.
If time is a resource you have, it is a really nice secondary camera to have

Last edited:

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I don't do fancy edits as I don't really like the transitions, so mine are all normally very simple. That means I can edit a 360 vid often while I am still getting the footage off my regular GoPro and can then edit the 2 cameras together after. For me and my PC, it is very easy, but if trying to edit a 5.7k 360 video on an older PC/laptop, it can be a pain. The mobile app is great too with Insta360, and is an option if your PC can't cope (providing you are using a decent smartphone), then you can just take the footage off the phone and edit it into your other footage on your regular PC editor.

Reactions: Drakhen99

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
I have been tempted to buying one of these, how is the editing with it?

I use Davinci Resolve with my GoPro Max footage. There's a plugin for Resolve that'll work with Insta footage as well as GoPro, and it allows in-editing use of the 360 footage once it's converted to flat MP4 format, and allows the yaw/pitch/roll and a bunch of other settings to be manipulated, and then animates the camera movement. Pretty cool stuff, I've shown it a bunch and did a tutorial for using it on my Channel.

-John

Dewey316

Dewey|Rides
Oct 1, 2020
I ride a
BWM F800gs / DR650 / Honda CM450E
I edit my 360 in the Insta editor first, then bring it in as a normal video. I tried the resolve plug in, but it loses the good flow state stabilization the insta program has. I just got better results doing the 360 edit sperate and then combining.

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
I edit my 360 in the Insta editor first, then bring it in as a normal video. I tried the resolve plug in, but it loses the good flow state stabilization the insta program has. I just got better results doing the 360 edit sperate and then combining.
Yep, this is how I edit the One X2 footage as well.

I tried doing it John's way with the Resolve plugin but its cumbersome, I strongly prefer using Insta360's software instead. Plus they just updated their editing software recently and its even better now!

I love the One X2. I think I like it better than my GoPros.

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
Yep, this is how I edit the One X2 footage as well.

I tried doing it John's way with the Resolve plugin but its cumbersome, I strongly prefer using Insta360's software instead. Plus they just updated their editing software recently and its even better now!

I love the One X2. I think I like it better than my GoPros.

What did you find cumbersome about it?

I never know what footage I'm going to use until I have the rough cut done, so at that point I just need to frame the clips that'll make it into the final video.

-John

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
What did you find cumbersome about it?
With the Insta360 editor its super easy to drag the camera around with the mouse and use the wheel to zoom in and out, rapidly setting keyframes along the way. I can orient and edit a 10 minute One X2 video in 10 minutes or less, export it as a normal AVi file, and then bring it into Resolve like any other normal AVI file.

Using the plugin in Resolve to direct and orient the 360 footage is cumbersome because I can't move the view around with the mouse, I have to go into the inspector window and manually change roll, pitch, and yaw, plus setting keyframes on the 360 vid in Resolve is much more time consuming than it is in the Insta360 editor.

I'm just much faster using the Insta360 software, plus it's much easier to set up smooth cinematic pans. They did a real great job with their software in my opinion.

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
With the Insta360 editor its super easy to drag the camera around with the mouse and use the wheel to zoom in and out, rapidly setting keyframes along the way. I can orient and edit a 10 minute One X2 video in 10 minutes or less, export it as a normal AVi file, and then bring it into Resolve like any other normal AVI file.

Using the plugin in Resolve to direct and orient the 360 footage is cumbersome because I can't move the view around with the mouse, I have to go into the inspector window and manually change roll, pitch, and yaw, plus setting keyframes on the 360 vid in Resolve is much more time consuming than it is in the Insta360 editor.

I'm just much faster using the Insta360 software, plus it's much easier to set up smooth cinematic pans. They did a real great job with their software in my opinion.

That's good to know, thanks!

For changing yaw/pitch/roll in Resolve, I just drag over the corresponding value and it goes up and down. I can set up a 360 clip in a few seconds this way. You're right though, adding keyframes to animate the camera can be cumbersome. I have adjustment clips in my Power Bins for each mount I use, which I've created with my favorite camera angles built-in. So I just drag & drop the right adjustment clip in, copy/paste attributes, and I have the camera angles I want, so it's very quick [IMO].

Since I don't have the Insta360 software, I use Resolve, but your approach sounds very reasonable. FWIW, I tend to get 1-4 hours of 360 footage in my longer rides, and only use 5-10m of it, so it would be way cumbersome for me to switch to an external editor for the framing.

-John

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO