Idea - two formats of the same video sort of

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
Bouncing an idea around and need your input from a viewer point of view.

Record two formats of the same video only under certain circumstances...

Version A - single/dual camera running so the viewer just sees what I put in the screen.

Version B - 360 so the viewer has control of what they look around at.

Both same audio. Both have pros and both have cons as far as viewing goes.

Key your input now! Operators and napping by...

Telephone%2BSwitchboard%2BOperators%2Bin%2Bthe%2BPast%2B%25281%2529.jpg

Reactions: HippoDrone

R-Rated

Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
AndyManCam kinda did that for his 2nd Eurotrip, posting regular multicam productions mainly and adding 360 vids of certain stretches of road. It wasn't just like what you suggest though.

I feel that this idea would mean producing the same vid twice as you still have to edit and cut it unless you tend to do one-takes. Not something I would take on.

What about from a viewer perspective? Would you like the option of either passive or active viewing?

R-Rated

Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
as @F4celess said, @AndyManCam has done similar. Check his channel out and see how he did his!

Thanks but I am looking for input from a viewer. Do you as a viewer of videos feel a more immersive experience would be an option?

I know sometimes just being a passive viewer is ok like when are busy using your hands for something else like eating or typing, but under certain circumstances I can see giving folks the option to look around at something that the creator may not have noticed or focused their camera on.

Examples would be touring a dense urban area with a lot activity, group rides, or touring a static location.

Last edited:

F4celess

Cold
Dec 20, 2015
I ride a
Yamaha Fazer
I think, as a user, I find 360 vids to be a bit lacking in quality and refinement compared to normal videos. The main reason for that is how it is hard to know what to look for, and looking around I don't find as immersive as it sounds.

The "not looking at the right place at the right time" problem is present in VR as well, having worked on VR experiences I know that it takes some level of planning to get that right and a 360 vid made on the bike at speed is a bit too random for my taste.

Reactions: R-Rated

Theodor

Don't wannabe
Nov 16, 2017
Estonia
I ride a
Valkyrie 1500
I have looked at 360 videos just for the "wow" effect. I can't imagine looking something like that on regular basis.
When we are speaking about some scenic road, like curvy mountain roads, where there is just too much to be seen, all around. I think I could go for couple of 360 videos. Again, not on regular basis.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I think a directed video utilising a 360 camera would be better, then as a director you can show what you want from it in a fixed view to the audience.

Superfist

Wannabie Member
Mar 9, 2018
I ride a
Yamaha FJ-09
I think there is a place and a niche for both types of videos you suggest. I've watched both and by far the passive view where you set the narrative and tell the story is the easier to view.

I think the 360 niche is really going to be great for VR headsets where the viewer can literally look around. This would be good if you're trying to give a passenger experience on a motorcycle. Trying to watch 360 in a frame on a video player and using a mouse to look around is awkward and I often find I'm missing what the video creator is trying to show.

I think that offering both will mean two different audiences. A directed view will be better for telling a story or narrative while the free-look 360 will be better for delivering an immersive experience that is probably best suited to VR headset users.

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
Philadelphia/South Jersey
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
I like Wing’s idea. I wonder if you could post one video in the normal format where you edit/narrate the video for a specific POV and perspective, then post a VR version where you can guide the viewer on what to look for and experience that was missed in the first standard post. Of course many viewers may not want to go for the redundancy of two post, unless both are short, or contains amazing footage — riding the Dragon’s Tail, the Alps, the Coastal Highway,
In crazy traffic with near hits, or aggressive drivers, etc. ... .

- Wuf

Sharktank

Wannabie Member
Sep 2, 2017
Tampa, FL
I ride a
2011 Road Glide Custom
I replied last week on your video but figured I'd toss my 2 cents in here.

For one, you have to inject the entire video with VR meta data for youtube to even recognize it as 360. No way to differentiate one shot from another at that point. For that matter, you could take any footage, inject it, and end up with a weird stretched out video.

The problem with quality on 360 is that 4k isn't enough. Flat videos look super sharp at 4k because there's only that one square to look at. with 360, it's an entire sphere of info. easy to get stretched out.

I tried the 360 once and after I put it in my VR headset, I was so unimpressed that I haven't done it again since. I feel like it's a good medium once in a while, but I dont enjoy them as a viewer on a regular basis.

Reactions: MotoCafe

LoneWolfer

Lone Wolfer Garage
Jun 1, 2017
Connecticut
www.thelonewolfer.com
I ride a
Harley Nightster, Harley Switchback & Suzuki Savage
I've been following along with your 360 experiments R-Rated and I think there is a place for the active experience, but for me only in short bursts. Its been really nice this month as I haven't been able to hop on my bike at all up here in New England for even a blast around the block; we're getting another Nor' Easter today, fourth in a month, with the possibility of a foot of snow on the second day of Spring. We've already discussed an issue with watching it on an Apple TV over on instagram, but that was just me hoping that I might be able to use the remote to control the angle of the dangle within the Youtube app. I am going to try another experiement using the Apple TV's Mirroring function as I think it would be super rad to have that 360 active viewing on a big screen.

But, I do think for me personally that getting a video from the perspective of the motovlogger, what they see and what they focus on, is what I am actually interested in when I am watching motovlogs. The interaction of thier spoken content with what's happening in their environment that they either need to pay attention to or what they are drawn to is part of the allure of being on the bike with that motovlogger. The 360 has a bit less personality but is a nice diversion every once in a while.

Have you thought about having a raw content off shoot or playlist of your channel? You could upload the whole 360 version of a ride and just let it live there and see how people take it.

Reactions: R-Rated and Theodor

Theodor

Don't wannabe
Nov 16, 2017
Estonia
I ride a
Valkyrie 1500
Having raw footage as an extra, is an interesting idea. I am thinking now, if I should put up some videos of riding in the mountains, which are interesting to watch, but too long to use in whole, in the travel series. Maybe create a separate playlist, and upload the videos unlisted (so I would not spam subscribers), accessible only from that playlist.

R-Rated

Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
Can't you just use the 360 to show something your gopro might have missed and crop that into the main vid?

So far, I have not found a way of editing the two together. I think technology for viewing has not quite caught of yet. One of our fellow motovloggers showed me that some devices struggle or don't play 360 correct. So I imagine swapping between the two would really give machines fits.

R-Rated

Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
Having raw footage as an extra, is an interesting idea. I am thinking now, if I should put up some videos of riding in the mountains, which are interesting to watch, but too long to use in whole, in the travel series. Maybe create a separate playlist, and upload the videos unlisted (so I would not spam subscribers), accessible only from that playlist.

That would be cool.

R-Rated

Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
I've been following along with your 360 experiments R-Rated and I think there is a place for the active experience, but for me only in short bursts. Its been really nice this month as I haven't been able to hop on my bike at all up here in New England for even a blast around the block; we're getting another Nor' Easter today, fourth in a month, with the possibility of a foot of snow on the second day of Spring. We've already discussed an issue with watching it on an Apple TV over on instagram, but that was just me hoping that I might be able to use the remote to control the angle of the dangle within the Youtube app. I am going to try another experiement using the Apple TV's Mirroring function as I think it would be super rad to have that 360 active viewing on a big screen.

But, I do think for me personally that getting a video from the perspective of the motovlogger, what they see and what they focus on, is what I am actually interested in when I am watching motovlogs. The interaction of thier spoken content with what's happening in their environment that they either need to pay attention to or what they are drawn to is part of the allure of being on the bike with that motovlogger. The 360 has a bit less personality but is a nice diversion every once in a while.

Have you thought about having a raw content off shoot or playlist of your channel? You could upload the whole 360 version of a ride and just let it live there and see how people take it.

Great ideas. I have another opportunity to put the 360 to use on a curvy road someone told me about. I may run it and run the GoPro. Then I am thinking about adding the helmet mic audio to the 360 and upload it as uncut as possible. Have link to that footage then pop up in the short video of the highlights of the road.

Still thinking how to make all this work...

Reactions: LoneWolfer

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
So far, I have not found a way of editing the two together. I think technology for viewing has not quite caught of yet. One of our fellow motovloggers showed me that some devices struggle or don't play 360 correct. So I imagine swapping between the two would really give machines fits.
if you edit the 360 into a non 360 video showing the bits you want it to show, then with the edited non 360 footage you could PIP that into the main motovlog.

R-Rated

Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
if you edit the 360 into a non 360 video showing the bits you want it to show, then with the edited non 360 footage you could PIP that into the main motovlog.

I think this thread has the key.

360° into screen capture and inserted into regular

GOTTA LOVE THE INTERNET!

So basically turning the 360 camera into a movable camera and control what it shows in post.

Still, I also like the immersive experience as raw just incase someone wants that like the VeeR website.

Reactions: HippoDrone

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts