I Need Help Choosing!

Bruiser5K

Looking for a supermoto
May 4, 2016
Georgia, USA
I ride a
TBD
Hello everyone! I have a some-what critical decision to make here. So, I am a senior in high school (graduating next week), and I have a choice to make. This choice is not a life choice, since I have already made that decision, it's a choice of what to ride and make videos on!

Here's why I am asking. I mentioned I am graduating, and I will be joining the United States Air Force within the next 3-6 months. I would like to start videos as soon as possible, but I would also like to continue doing videos after I join. It sounds weird, but I have seen other Airmen make YouTube videos while in (not motovlogs).

Option A: Buy a 2001 Honda TRX400EX ATV, which is decked out with plenty of aftermarket parts, including engine work. I have been riding this quad for some time now, since the people who own it are close family friends. This quad runs great. It's loud, fast, and turns heads, which is what I like. Or maybe it would be more appropriate to say it breaks necks. The price he will sell it to me for, $2,000.

Option B: Buy a supermoto off of Craigslist. I have been looking around and I have narrowed it down to 2 nice looking supermotos and decent prices (from what I have researched). One is a 2014 Honda CRF250L ($4,000), and the other is a 2009 Kawasaki KLX250SF ($3,200). Both are nice looking, even though in my mind I know Honda's more, and for the extra 800 dollars a bike that's only 2 years old.

If you would please give me your opinions, and why! Thanks!

Kilo Delta

Wannabie Member
Apr 23, 2016
Northern Virginia, USA
I ride a
Suzuki Gladius; Honda Grom
I recommend waiting to make your choice until you hit your first duty station. You may not be able to get your new ATV or bike to wherever that will be and end up with that vehicle stuck in storage at home. Three months really is not that long.

Reactions: SalvageSV

Reize

2 Wheeled Islander
Jan 20, 2016
Singapore
www.reizeprimus.tk
I ride a
DRZ400SM / Shadow 400 ACE / ZX6R
Also, I'm pretty sure you won't have any free time during BMT to be doing anything but train. So Kilo is right, wait till you're done and settled into your full time duties in the Air Force before thinking of doing videos or buying a vehicle.

Reactions: Bruiser5K

SighBored

@thesighbored
Jan 18, 2015
Malaysia
www.thesighbored.com
I ride a
2012 Kawasaki ZX-6R
Don't know anything about military life, but I would say better to hold off on getting a vehicle until you are adjusted to your military life and location. Unless you don't mind the possibility of keeping it in storage/unused.

SalvageSV

Hopes he doesn't crash this month
Feb 18, 2016
Birmingham, AL
I ride a
Salvaged SV1000S
As others mentioned, you're not taking anything with you until your first station. I know it's hard, but if you wait a few months you'll also have some extra cash saved up and can maybe look at other bikes or better gear to vlog with.

SevenCube

KTM RC390 + ATGATT
Dec 28, 2015
I ride a
2015 KTM RC 390, 2011 Yamaha FZ-S
I agree with the previous posts. It's best to wait it out. Like you said though, check with your recruiter about the possibility of bringing a vehicle like this with you.

As for vehicle choice, Supermoto Honda.

BurntRuber

Burnt Rubber TV
Apr 8, 2016
Florida
I ride a
DRZ400SM and random stuff people let me ride
I work in a atv and mx race bike shop we build motor and dyno all day. The trx450 has a unreliable crankshaft in them. I get about 1 a month with a crank locked up. If you do get it you can make 10 hp just by taking off the top of the airbox. Did it last week on the dyno. If you want a supermoto I would get a drz400 I have one and they are the most reliable supermoto out there. It's not to much power only 35hp stock and they are very affordable. Your better off waiting till you get to your first duty station. I was army and I couldn't have a vehicle till I was in for almost 2 years. You can't in basic then your job training you can't also then I was sent to Korea where you can't have a vehicle so it was a long time till I could bring my car. Another note on the Trx is that allot of places you go won't have a place you can ride a quad. Your better off with a supermoto because you can still go ride trails if they are there and you won't have to buy a storage shed to keep it in. If you leave it in the barracks parking lot someone will steal it.

RangerRide

RangerRides
Apr 25, 2016
tucson
I ride a
07 trx250ex
Hello everyone! I have a some-what critical decision to make here. So, I am a senior in high school (graduating next week), and I have a choice to make. This choice is not a life choice, since I have already made that decision, it's a choice of what to ride and make videos on!

Here's why I am asking. I mentioned I am graduating, and I will be joining the United States Air Force within the next 3-6 months. I would like to start videos as soon as possible, but I would also like to continue doing videos after I join. It sounds weird, but I have seen other Airmen make YouTube videos while in (not motovlogs).

Option A: Buy a 2001 Honda TRX400EX ATV, which is decked out with plenty of aftermarket parts, including engine work. I have been riding this quad for some time now, since the people who own it are close family friends. This quad runs great. It's loud, fast, and turns heads, which is what I like. Or maybe it would be more appropriate to say it breaks necks. The price he will sell it to me for, $2,000.

Option B: Buy a supermoto off of Craigslist. I have been looking around and I have narrowed it down to 2 nice looking supermotos and decent prices (from what I have researched). One is a 2014 Honda CRF250L ($4,000), and the other is a 2009 Kawasaki KLX250SF ($3,200). Both are nice looking, even though in my mind I know Honda's more, and for the extra 800 dollars a bike that's only 2 years old.

If you would please give me your opinions, and why! Thanks!
hondas never die........ and quads are a lot better on the road and off and they look badass

RangerRide

RangerRides
Apr 25, 2016
tucson
I ride a
07 trx250ex
wait your going to the air force? ;-; nu wow i thought we'd end up being really great buddies

RangerRide

RangerRides
Apr 25, 2016
tucson
I ride a
07 trx250ex
I work in a atv and mx race bike shop we build motor and dyno all day. The trx450 has a unreliable crankshaft in them. I get about 1 a month with a crank locked up. If you do get it you can make 10 hp just by taking off the top of the airbox. Did it last week on the dyno. If you want a supermoto I would get a drz400 I have one and they are the most reliable supermoto out there. It's not to much power only 35hp stock and they are very affordable. Your better off waiting till you get to your first duty station. I was army and I couldn't have a vehicle till I was in for almost 2 years. You can't in basic then your job training you can't also then I was sent to Korea where you can't have a vehicle so it was a long time till I could bring my car. Another note on the Trx is that allot of places you go won't have a place you can ride a quad. Your better off with a supermoto because you can still go ride trails if they are there and you won't have to buy a storage shed to keep it in. If you leave it in the barracks parking lot someone will steal it.
and the trx rs are way different when it comes to reliability then the exs the exs are made to last stock the rs are ment to be modded the fuck out its just a thing honda is doing idk why

Raven

Adventurer
Jan 4, 2016
Louisville, KY, USA
raven.deckyon.com
I ride a
2014 Honda NC700XD
Wait until you get your orders. As the others have said. No need to waste money on something that will sit forever and a day before you can get to it. Once in the military, good old Murphy will sink his damn laws in and you wont ever have time... At least the first year or so, or until you figure out how to work the system. Cross your fingers you get a good sergeant.

Reactions: Bruiser5K
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R-Rated General Moto Talk 0
Edu_BR General Moto Talk 4

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO