I Dropped My Brand New Helmet Today...

Aleks

Wannabie Member
Feb 29, 2016
I ride a
Honda Varadero XL125 (53 plate)
I was just about to set off from work today and my bike was covered in ice, so as I was talking to a colleague waiting for my bike to warm up I put my helmet on the seat out of habit, and the ice made my helmet slip of and hit the floor...
Just wondering if the helmet will be OK to use as I bought it for £160 a week ago (AGV K3 SV) and I would hope that the thing that is supposed to protect my head from a serious collision should be able to withstand a short drop. I've always thought that the "Replace it if you drop it" was just a thing made up my helmet manufacturers but I'm not 100% sure.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. There is a tiny scuff on the helmet (3mm and barely a scratch from rolling) and it landed on the visor which was open which has chipped the visor slightly.

dandoolittle

Site owner, lovely and adorable
Feb 9, 2013
United Kingdom
www.seomers.com
I ride a
Suzuki GSXR 1000 L5
Suzuki GSXR 1000 K7 track/race bike
Kawasaki ZX6R 98 race bike
MiniMotos
It's not the outside you wanna be worried about

Helmets have all that stuff inside, one tiny fracture could massively reduce protecting your head when you're being propelled against a lamp post

The height from a bike seat is enough to KO it

But saying that, you might be alright ;)

SighBored

@thesighbored
Jan 18, 2015
Malaysia
www.thesighbored.com
I ride a
2012 Kawasaki ZX-6R
I would not worry about it and just continue to use it as normal. Unless you are a racer and always pushing the limits (with higher chance of high speed impact/collision) then you would want to get a new one for maximum protection. Otherwise, don't sweat about it.

That is just my personal thought on it, nothing to do with lab tests results, structural integrity, bla bla bla.

Reactions: EDcase

Aleks

Wannabie Member
Feb 29, 2016
I ride a
Honda Varadero XL125 (53 plate)
I know £160 isnt much for a helmet but its an AGV with a 4 star sharp rating and Im only on a 125 for a couple of years, I might have it sent off just to be scanned to be sure but for now I think I will continue to use it. worse case scenario I'll just buy a new one when I get a bigger bike, ill wait for a few more replies before I decide though...
Thanks for the replies!

JoshAFJ

Because Motorcycle
Sep 21, 2016
Cincinnati, OH
I ride a
07 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
I had a little bop on mine as well. I was only riding for a couple of months at the time and couldn't afford a new one. I pulled out the padding and looked around and it seemed all good to me. I know there could be hairline fractures and stuff....I guess I'm rolling the dice still rocking that helmet, but I think I may be getting a new one next season.

Shifty

Motovlogger
Jan 5, 2016
U.K.
shiftyblake.wordpress.com
I ride a
Ducati Multistrada 1200 GT
I was just about to set off from work today and my bike was covered in ice, so as I was talking to a colleague waiting for my bike to warm up I put my helmet on the seat out of habit, and the ice made my helmet slip of and hit the floor...
Just wondering if the helmet will be OK to use as I bought it for £160 a week ago (AGV K3 SV) and I would hope that the thing that is supposed to protect my head from a serious collision should be able to withstand a short drop. I've always thought that the "Replace it if you drop it" was just a thing made up my helmet manufacturers but I'm not 100% sure.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. There is a tiny scuff on the helmet (3mm and barely a scratch from rolling) and it landed on the visor which was open which has chipped the visor

You can get them tested. I dropped my new Arai it looked ok and sent it back they said it wasn't safe.

I dropped a shoei looked trashed and they said it was fine!

I personally wouldn't ever wear it again without testing it. One chance in a big crash and I do want to gamble on £££.

Marbro_za

Dan's princess
Mar 13, 2014
I ride a
Yamaha fz6
I think you know the answer, secretly like in the back of your head.

I have fallen twice with my helmet, and i feel that it will still protect me.
Would i loan it to a loved one? Fuck no... would i say its safe enough to protect my noggin? maybe

2WL

Dan & lurch are inspiring
Dec 17, 2016
South West
I ride a
Suzuki GSR750
Chance are your ok to use it as its a small fall.

Some companies will scan your helmet for free, however thats normally on only top range models, worth giving it a chance tho :)

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts