How Often Do You Think One Might Need A New Helmet?

SwissMotard

The Swiss Motard
Sep 19, 2014
I ride a
Triumph Street Triple
IIm guessing maybe 10 yr life.

It has that 5 year limit because the layers of protection start to degrade, not because it gets bashed or isn't washed/polished enough. Why take the risk?

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
2016 Street Triple R and a 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
Daylight can start to degrade a shell too.

I'd maybe consider a helmet past 5 years if used very little and stored properly in the dark.

My old Caberg I bought in 2004 and used sparingly for a year, stayed in a bag for 7 years and I used it for 6 months 2012-13 after I passed my test, but decided best to replace it once I'd got used to the bigger bike.

Reactions: SwissMotard

Happytrail

Wannabie Member
Apr 26, 2015
I ride a
big motorcycle
It has that 5 year limit because the layers of protection start to degrade, not because it gets bashed or isn't washed/polished enough. Why take the risk?

I agree why take the chance. I looked this up on Arai's website...

"Like most major helmet manufacturers, Arai subscribes to the Snell Memorial Foundation benchmark of five years as the suggested usable lifespan of a motorcycle helmet. Why? Think of a helmet in terms of your body. No matter how good it may look, or how well you take care of it, age still takes its toll. Even with minimal use, a helmet is affected by things like the acids and oils in sweat, haircare products, pollution, exposure to UV rays, etc. At about the five-year mark, helmet interiors begin to show wear and/or deterioration, which should serve as an alert to its overall condition. The helmet's fit may begin to feel a little "loose", not as snug as it once did. This unseen aging and deterioration of the EPS liner and fiberglass shell can affect the helmet's ability to perform in an impact as it was originally designed."

I'll see what happens when I get there. It wouldn't bother me to retire it. Was thinking of picking up another helmet just in case I wanted to ride 2 up. Maybe next year unless I see a great closeout deal. Then I'd be putting less wear and tear on my current helmet. Also I dont get to ride year round due to winters. But seems like too many variables to figure it all out. Will just keep it in mind as a general rule of thumb.

TheDutchTexan

Wannabie Member
Jul 2, 2013
I ride a
bicycle...
This topic made me remember that I rode my moped with a vintage orange 1970 helmet that used to be used by dutch police. No protection, but damn it looked cool.

All the helmets I am interested in getting have a 5 year lifespan. But I bet in the Texas sun it will be less than that. I am thinking about getting the Bell Vortex. It fits nice, and I think it will work great for when I do my MSF down the line! I am starting to collect parts I am missing so I don't have to spend a pretty penny when the date is there.

revvinrav

Wannabie Member
Oct 9, 2014
I ride a
2000 Honda Shadow 600 VLX
I personally buy a new one every year and a half, i just get tired of them quickly lol

RideLondon

Wannabie Member
Jan 20, 2015
London
I ride a
Honda PCX 125
I have a helmet addiction. Worse than wife's purse addiction. I would say every 2-3 years. Also depends how many miles you are putting on it and overall wear/tear. I have 3 full face for my Ducati and 3 half face for my Victory. I normally sell my old helmets on EBAY or CRAIGSLIST.

Who in their right mind would buy a second-hand motorcycle helmet?

NevRR

Wannabie Member
Feb 15, 2015
United Kingdom
I ride a
Honda CBR600RR
I was told 4 years max (around 2 if used daily) when doing my test, as the polystyrene wears down with constant use. Also any drop 1m (ish) or a above and it should immediately be replaced.

SwissMotard

The Swiss Motard
Sep 19, 2014
I ride a
Triumph Street Triple
I was told 4 years max (around 2 if used daily) when doing my test, as the polystyrene wears down with constant use. Also any drop 1m (ish) or a above and it should immediately be replaced.
Even if used daily I'd only replace it is it was over the 5 year limit or if it started to lose its hold on my head.

MotoJedeye

Wannabie Member
Sep 28, 2014
California
I ride a
Cruiser: Victory Vegas 8-ball, Ducati Scrambler
Who in their right mind would buy a second-hand motorcycle helmet?

Mate. I wondered the same thing when I first started putting used helmets on ebay. Turns out a lot of folks! I usually sell them within two weeks.

Thr1ll

Will the THR1LL
Apr 13, 2015
I ride a
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 500R
Mate. I wondered the same thing when I first started putting used helmets on ebay. Turns out a lot of folks! I usually sell them within two weeks.

That's pretty crazy. I get weird feelings when people ask to put my helmet on just to try it out, let alone take the plunge and buy one from someone I don't know.
I've had my current helmet one season, but I think it will be replaced next year for something newer/lighter. I bought my girlfriend the new model of my helmet and they shed close to two pounds in weight + materials have been upgraded.

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
2016 Street Triple R and a 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
I'd buy a second hand helmet under one circumstance.

I have to know and trust the person.

Gnarling

Wannabie Member
May 10, 2015
Washington
I ride a
2013 YZ450f
The first time you hit your head and it rings your bell! Or every 3 years. So every 7-9 months for me.

Another indicated is when the paint cracks after a hit.

MrJoel

Rom: one-one-six unashamed
Jun 14, 2015
Louisville, Ky
www.facebook.com
I ride a
1994 seca II
Cafe 1992 seca II
I used to go every 5 years from the date of manufacture, but had many to chose from...too much stuff to buy for the kiddos to feed my addictions these days!

Spencer

Wannabie Member
Apr 29, 2015
Vancouver
I ride a
2006 YZF-R6 Raven Edition
You should buy a new helmet if you drop or damage your helmet or if you feel that your helmet has become to loose. I have been through a few helmets and they always become looser over time. So make sure you get an extra tight helmet because the padding will start to give eventually.

lupin

2016 Solar Bear Champion.
Jul 5, 2015
Australia
www.imlupz.com
I ride a
FZ1N
Agree with most that they do get loose over time from the pulling on and off.

I'd go with no more than 5 years if there hasn't been any impact. I've also found in that time frame there are enough advances in helmet features to make it worthwhile to change them anyway.

BlackMamba

WINNER!
May 17, 2015
Derby Eastmids UK
I ride a
Dl650 Vstrom
I get 1 lid a year just befor summer starts. I currntly have 3 lids that i am using. Summer. winter and spare. My summer lids always the newest,the winter one is the old summer one and the spare is the old winter. I ride all year round and find that after about 25k miles they are about dead.

Rusty

Wannabie Member
Dec 30, 2014
I ride a
KLR650, VFR75, Ninja 250
I too have a lot of helmets but I would recommend ever 3 years, a helmet is good for 5 years from manufacturing date.

kuhlka

Wannabie Member
Jul 7, 2014
SoCal OC
youtube.com
I ride a
2011 Ducati Diavel Carbon Red, 2007 Ducati 1098
If there is no fall damage inflicted to a helmet, HOW OFTEN might one need to change out their old helmet? Do the materials in the helmet come apart from one another? I'm not really sure.. I have never crashed in the current helmet that I own, but it's like 5 years old and used daily... Any thoughts on when someone might need to invest in one? Also, I'm not sure if it would be helpful/hurtful to be in the HOT Arizona heat for a lot of the time.

My most recent experience with buying a new helmet made me realize I waited waaaaay too long before replacing my old lid from 2008. The two helmets are the same size, but the old lid is extremely loose and floppy by comparison. This is because the foam gradually compresses over time as you wear the helmet. Replacing the liner is a good idea for the first couple years, but if you're pushing five years, replace it. You'll notice a night and day difference in comfort, air flow, noise, etc.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts