How Often Do You Think One Might Need A New Helmet?

zordflea

I'm boring to watch...
Apr 28, 2014
Victoria BC, Canada
www.youtube.com
I ride a
2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200
I'm on the second set of liners for my helmet. I'll probably change my helmet after 3 years of using it every day.
Some higher quality helmets do last longer than others. But if I had the money, I'd buy helmets the way my wife buys handbags...

Kill Kitty

Wannabie Member
Aug 27, 2014
I ride a
Honda CB500X
I always thought the lifespan of a helmet was due to the Styrofoam-type material in the helmet because that is what takes the energy of an impact (along with the shell) and after about 4-5 years that material becomes more brittle and less effective at dissipating the energy. I would say that in an arid, sunny environment your helmets will age even faster. I replace mine about every 3 years because I buy them about a year after they are released (on closeout.)

beigecardy

Wannabie Member
Nov 6, 2014
I ride a
CB500F
Good work thread - I bought a new helmet yesterday. My current one is 18 months old, and needs new liners at least. Also I realised I need one without camera mounts all over it if I want to do some track days.

and I felt like spending some money.

Sweet & Sour Andy

AndyPandy Motovlogs
Aug 1, 2014
Townsville, Australia
I ride a
2008 Suzuki V-Strom DL650abs
I have always been of the belief to replace it after 4-5 years of wear, depending on how you look after it. I never hang it off my mirrors as the edges will cause squashing of the foam inside. Always wash the material insides and wipe out to remove any abrasives that may get in there ie; dust, dirt, sand....

I guess the big thing is.... Do you feel safe with it? it's your head, if you want to replace your helmet every month because you feel safe doing so then go for it, if you want to wait a couple of years, do so. I wouldn't; however; wear a helmet for any more than 5 years as the oils in your hair will degrade the performance of it structurally.

OlliePrice

The Friends of Ollie
Sep 16, 2014
I ride a
Triumph Tiger 800
Honestly, only if it is dropped or used in an accident.
I wouldn't buy a £500+ Shoei helmet and only use it for 5 years. My helmet was £130. My friend who rides an R1, his cost £90. If I was replacing it every 2 years, I'd buy a £60 box helmet.

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
2016 Street Triple R and a 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
Well, all helmets reach a minimum standard, so tje £40 MTL or the £700 Schuberth are no different in that respect. When you pay more you get better lasting materials, but where does the crossover happen between budget, good and premium when it comes to longevity?

AndyManCam

www.youtube.com/anymancam
Feb 26, 2014
Hamburg
I ride a
Versys 650
I usually replace my helmet when I realise that I hate something about it.

Sadly this time the hatred has reached boiling point long before the money box has filled up enough for a trip to the shops!

AndyManCam

Feb 26, 2014
Hamburg
I ride a
Versys 650
Good work thread - I bought a new helmet yesterday. My current one is 18 months old, and needs new liners at least. Also I realised I need one without camera mounts all over it if I want to do some track days.

and I felt like spending some money.

I did a track day with MSV recently with 2 Drift mounts on my helmet. Nobody seemed to care. They just said that I couldn't have the camera on there. So it wasn't because they didn't see the mounts either!!

revvinrav

Wannabie Member
Oct 9, 2014
I ride a
2000 Honda Shadow 600 VLX
I usually just wash my inner liner and cheek pads like twice a month

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
2016 Street Triple R and a 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
If you wear your helmet daily and take it on and off several times in a day then it will need replacing more often.

Reactions: RealRider

AndyManCam

Feb 26, 2014
Hamburg
I ride a
Versys 650
Hells no! I'm the same. If I had my way I'd have a separate helmet and leathers wardrobe right next to her shoe cabinet in the hallway!!

SwissMotard

The Swiss Motard
Sep 19, 2014
I ride a
Triumph Street Triple
If you wear your helmet daily and take it on and off several times in a day then it will need replacing more often.
You only need to replace the inner lining, which is far cheaper than a new helmet.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts