How Often Do You Think One Might Need A New Helmet?

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
2016 Street Triple R and a 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
You can compress the EPS not just the soft liner.

SwissMotard

The Swiss Motard
Sep 19, 2014
I ride a
Triumph Street Triple
True, it's the EPS that compresses when your helmet is too tight initially, typically what gets broken in during the appropriately named break in period.

I was more referring to it getting tatty from sweat etc rather than being compressed.

Lurch

Administrator
May 5, 2014
Yorkshire
I ride a
2016 Street Triple R and a 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
Agreed, the helmet (should) be designed to withstand any expected bodily (capital) secretion (ew!), but over time of pulling the helmet on and off, certain bits will get compressed each time, and over time the helmet may become a less snug fit, and may become an inappropriate, and possibly unsafe fit. Real world? Maybe the degradation won't be severe enough for you to need to replace it before the recommended life of the helmet.

I've a 10 year old Caberg kicking about. I personally don't think it is fit for use any more due to age (it has had little use). However, it's technically not mine, so I can't freely dispose of it, although my father in law (the owner) is considering getting a bike and thinks he should just use that rather than get a new one. As I just mentioned in the camera position safety thread, a helmet MAY be more than capable of lasting for (say) 25 years, but the effects of ageing plastics and EPS protection is unknown, much like the effects of solvents and adhesives on helmets, so you should NOT use a helmet beyond the recommended time stated as the products used to make the helmet have not been tested for this time span.

CBRHoonigan

#1 Hoonigan
Apr 20, 2014
West yorkshire uk
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Anything with 2 wheels, ride it like you stole it.
My helmets are all guaranteed for 5 years, Firstly when they dont fit correctly anymore thats a problem but if you have chosen the right size in the first place you wont have an issue with the helmet being that worn on the inside, and most modern helmets have cleanable liners, me personally i will stick to what the manufactuers state for the helmet those guys know best as they made the things, and they put alot of effort into them.

SwissMotard

The Swiss Motard
Sep 19, 2014
I ride a
Triumph Street Triple
Wise words lurch, blindly following guidelines from manufacturers is a dangerous thing to do.

If my helmet is used daily I will certainly be changing it well before the 5 years are up.

CBRHoonigan

#1 Hoonigan
Apr 20, 2014
West yorkshire uk
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Wise words lurch, blindly following guidelines from manufacturers is a dangerous thing to do.

If my helmet is used daily I will certainly be changing it well before the 5 years are up.
Depending on the conditions id say it will be safe to follow the guidlines, also use common sense, but for someone to say they dont know what they are saying is abit ill advised.
Cheap helmets sub 100 pounds i wouldnt even use for a year thats just me, but something that isnt made of plastic and is more hardwearing to the lights of uv and temprature changes is fine, aslong as my helmet fits correctly and hasnt been dropped id say its safe to see it to its 5 year guarantee.

Syntaxxor

Wannabie Member
Oct 24, 2014
Bangor, WA
I ride a
2014 CBR1000RR
At most every five years. At the very least, every year. It's a small price to pay to protect your brain case.

gixxer lee

Wannabie Member
Dec 29, 2014
I ride a
Gsxr 600 k2
I replace mine every year but i have an obsession with helmets lol

dandoolittle

Site owner, lovely and adorable
Feb 9, 2013
United Kingdom
www.seomers.com
I ride a
Suzuki GSXR 1000 L5
Suzuki GSXR 1000 K7 track/race bike
Kawasaki ZX6R 98 race bike
MiniMotos
Got told that age and cracks on the inside of the helmet is the most important by some racers.

The outside can look shite but it inside has cracks in the paint, then it's a bin job.

CBRHoonigan

#1 Hoonigan
Apr 20, 2014
West yorkshire uk
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Got told that age and cracks on the inside of the helmet is the most important by some racers.

The outside can look shite but it inside has cracks in the paint, then it's a bin job.
You cant get to the inside of my helmets shell without fully destroying it in the process. unless you just mean the padding and not the shell.

chaosnaut

one who travels through utter confusion
Mar 26, 2015
India
I ride a
Yamaha Crux 2012
Thanks to this thread, I have decided that I need a new helmet. India is a really harsh place on equipment.

I love my old helmet though. I've modded my camera, microphone and bluetooth headset into it.

Getting a new helmet to this level of comfort and awesome is going to be difficult.

MotoJedeye

Wannabie Member
Sep 28, 2014
California
I ride a
Cruiser: Victory Vegas 8-ball, Ducati Scrambler
If there is no fall damage inflicted to a helmet, HOW OFTEN might one need to change out their old helmet? Do the materials in the helmet come apart from one another? I'm not really sure.. I have never crashed in the current helmet that I own, but it's like 5 years old and used daily... Any thoughts on when someone might need to invest in one? Also, I'm not sure if it would be helpful/hurtful to be in the HOT Arizona heat for a lot of the time.

They say every three years. I, personally but a new helmet every year. I have 7 now:) . Just picked up the new Shoei -1200. It's the most expensive helmet that I have ever purchased. I can say, that, yes. One cannot compare it to a 200$ scorpion or equivalent. It was a lot of $$$, but you get what you pay for in this case.

SighBored

@thesighbored
Jan 18, 2015
Malaysia
www.thesighbored.com
I ride a
2012 Kawasaki ZX-6R
Manufacturers do recommend changing the helmet either every 3 or 5 years cycle, but in some countries they offer some sort of voucher/tax relief or return system for the used helmet so it's not expensive to change helmet. Not here (Malaysia) though, as much as I would like to have an excuse to keep changing helmets I can't afford to do so all the time, will that being said I have about 7, and I still use them all, oldest one would be 2009.. Or was it 2008. Oh well.

Getting the top of the range helmet from top manufacturer, you WILL understand why you paid that much for it. Without a doubt.

Thr1ll

Will the THR1LL
Apr 13, 2015
I ride a
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 500R
in some countries they offer some sort of voucher/tax relief or return system for the used helmet so it's not expensive to change helmet.

This is a great idea for insurance companies IMO. Knowing that you get some kind of return when it is time to replace your helmet may persuade more people into wearing them.

We were taught in my MSF class that helmet wear is really based on how much it's used and the weather it is used in. Even if a helmet looks great, after ~5 years of being out in direct sun everyday the plastic shell is weaker with a diminished first layer of protection.

I really think it's up to the owner. As long as you haven't crashed/dropped your helmet you should be pretty all right as long as you keep decent care of it.

Happytrail

Wannabie Member
Apr 26, 2015
I ride a
big motorcycle
I buy expensive helmets so I cant afford too many at a time. My current helmet cost $650 I think. Has replaceable/washable liners. Its amazingly comfortable and light. 2 1/2 yrs old and going strong. Nearly bought a 2nd helmet recently but bought a GoPro instead.

I think the 5yr is a general guideline. Im expecting mine to last a bit longer than that because I take care of stuff. Im guessing maybe 10 yr life. But I'll add another helmet or two during that time. Maybe a modular or maybe a cool Corsair V with wicked graphics? In the end im probably not spending much more than someone who buys lessor expensive helmets every year or two.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts