How long does it take you to edit a video?

YBGuy

Yellow Backpack Guy
Aug 14, 2020
San Francisco Bay Area
ybguy.com
I ride a
2005 RC51, and a 2004 Honda CBR1000RR
Its interesting seeing different workflows. Mine is a little different.

1) Import All GoPro Clips > Merge to New Compound Clip > Create a Marker to Sync
2) Import all Osmo Action Clips > Merge to New Compound Clip > Create Marker to Sync
3) Create New Multi-Cam Clip and Add to my Timeline (Set the Video and Audio on the GoPro Clip
4) Watch Entire Clip and cut out dead air / dull footage
5) Watch a Second Time - make finer edits tightening up the delay between sentences, eliminate um's and such
6) Watch a Third Time and add in cuts between cameras (IMO this masks the large cuts I made in Step 1 and reduces the need for Transitions)
7) Add in Overlays / Transitions
8) Do a quick Color Correction (which boils down to adding saturation and and contrast, applied to all like clips - One for GoPro and one for Osmo Action
9) Output and Upload

I've never paid close attention to time but I think I'm at roughly 3-4 times the original video length. So if the original clip is about 30 minutes of footage I have a finished video in about two hours. This assumes that I'm not trying to get fancy and do something above and beyond what is typical for my channel.
Nice work flow Walt! Sounds like you are a very efficient editor.

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
Thanks - I have already seen a great speed improvement in scrubbing & decided whether a day's footage is going to be worth my effort to cut down, thanks to the tips & tricks shared on this site!

And you're right... with practice comes speed, at least in some regards.

-John

Reactions: YBGuy

YBGuy

Yellow Backpack Guy
Aug 14, 2020
San Francisco Bay Area
ybguy.com
I ride a
2005 RC51, and a 2004 Honda CBR1000RR
Thanks - I have already seen a great speed improvement in scrubbing & decided whether a day's footage is going to be worth my effort to cut down, thanks to the tips & tricks shared on this site!

And you're right... with practice comes speed, at least in some regards.

-John
Yes, with practice comes speed with a grain of salt for sure. But one of my favorite editing tips is finding the talking parts in the video. Anytime I am having a hard time editing a video.... I go right for the talking parts and save those, then trim out the rest (or most) and go from there.

Reactions: Drakhen99

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
Yes, with practice comes speed with a grain of salt for sure. But one of my favorite editing tips is finding the talking parts in the video. Anytime I am having a hard time editing a video.... I go right for the talking parts and save those, then trim out the rest (or most) and go from there.

When I record on my Street Glide, if I know while I'm riding that I'm going to skip a road or whatever, I turn the radio on. Then, when I'm editing, I can just play at 2x or 3x until I don't hear the music anymore, and cut that part out.

If I'm on my other bikes, sometimes my mic picks up the radio from my headset, so I can do the same thing there.

-John

LandyVlad

King of Mycenae
Jun 8, 2020
Brisbane, Australia
gsx1400owners.org
I ride a
Suzuki GSX1400
Me? AGES ! I don;t see it as wasted time though as it's all learning the ins and outs of resolve (see what I did there?)

As you use Resolve I gather a knowledge of the cut page can really accelerate cutting down video to useful bits

There was a recent video by Casey Farris (I think) or Billy Rybka about the cut process to kickoff an edit, quite informative,

LandyVlad

King of Mycenae
Jun 8, 2020
Brisbane, Australia
gsx1400owners.org
I ride a
Suzuki GSX1400
I see some vloggers out there with similar family situations (little kids, full-time job, etc.) and they're able to shoot film sometime during the day and have it out on YT THAT SAME NIGHT! This seems impossible to me

Are you sure they are doing their own editing though? I know some people have friends who do it, or use someone from fiver...

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
Interesting... I wouldn't THINK to outsource my footage for someone else to edit! I'm not even sure it's good enough to be posted to YouTube most of the time LOL ... so why would I pay someone else to watch it??? :D

I tried the Cut page in Resolve - yes, I use Resolve - and found it too inhibiting. I quickly got used to the Edit page and never looked back. I would delete it if I could. I'll have to check our CF's videos on it though, maybe I missed something.

Heck, at this point I am spending time in the Fairlight page, and have spent many an hour in the Fusion page... you can get some wild stuff going on there!

Nowadays I have a Master Bin set up with all my YouTube assets, Favorited transition presets, most of my editing time comes down to me having done 3 or 4 takes in one ride, so taking 1.5-2 hours of footage and cutting out the crap, breaking the takes into separate timelines, and rough cutting those and reviewing until I find my favorite, then using that specific take in the video.

With all that said, I think my next speed improvement will be taking better notes prior to the ride so I don't have to do multiple takes, and finding THE road I want to record on, instead of doing 3 takes on 3 different roads, and then sitting back and enjoying the rest of the ride.

-John

Reactions: LandyVlad

LandyVlad

King of Mycenae
Jun 8, 2020
Brisbane, Australia
gsx1400owners.org
I ride a
Suzuki GSX1400
I'll need to learn much more about sound in Fairlight so let me know if you have any tips for good videos/youtubers on the subject.

I'll also need to work out a bin setup. Powerbins, yeah?

At the moment I'm just trying to figure out how best to get all my Resolve data and effects etc from my older computer to my new one.

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
I'll need to learn much more about sound in Fairlight so let me know if you have any tips for good videos/youtubers on the subject.

I'll also need to work out a bin setup. Powerbins, yeah?

At the moment I'm just trying to figure out how best to get all my Resolve data and effects etc from my older computer to my new one.

There's not a TON to do, but adding Noise Reduction, setting to De-Rumble & De-Hiss, and possibly adding a Vocal Channel or Limiter on and playing with the settings.

I actually am planning a few "Resolve for Moto Vloggers" videos in the near future... just gotta figure out how to record my screen and voiceover.

Power Bins, yeah, I think that's what they're called... but there's one specific "Master Bin" that is project-independent. That's where you put all your YouTube assets, watermarks, etc. - stuff you use in every project. Then, it becomes drag-and-drop to put that stuff in your videos. Saves a lot of time. You can store preset titles there (like if you use the same set of fonts, fades, sizes, strokes, shadows, that sort of thing). Then drag & drop & edit text and you're good.

As for transferring Resolve stuff... back up your database for one, and restore it on your new PC. For settings & stuff, I don't know if any of that transfers, but you can find the folders somewhere on your old PC and copy them to the new one - that *might* work.

-John

Dewey316

Dewey|Rides
Oct 1, 2020
I ride a
BWM F800gs / DR650 / Honda CM450E
There's not a TON to do, but adding Noise Reduction, setting to De-Rumble & De-Hiss, and possibly adding a Vocal Channel or Limiter on and playing with the settings.

I do noise reduction and a de-esser on my vocal track. If you haven't found it already, you can save the NR profile, so when you add NR you don't have to do the settings each time. It also really helps to put each type of audio on different tracks so you can add the plugins to the track, instead of having to add them to each clip. Example: my helmet mic audio all goes on one track, my engine noise audio on another, so I can set their level and plugins just once and they all get the same settings.

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
I do noise reduction and a de-esser on my vocal track. If you haven't found it already, you can save the NR profile, so when you add NR you don't have to do the settings each time. It also really helps to put each type of audio on different tracks so you can add the plugins to the track, instead of having to add them to each clip. Example: my helmet mic audio all goes on one track, my engine noise audio on another, so I can set their level and plugins just once and they all get the same settings.

Neat tricks! I've started putting off-bike and intro audio on 1 track, on-bike on the 2nd track, and any excess (like sound effects) go on a 3rd track. Then I put the NR on the on-bike stuff :D

I only have the 1 mic, so my engine noise is in the background of my voice audio track.

-John

Dewey316

Dewey|Rides
Oct 1, 2020
I ride a
Neat tricks! I've started putting off-bike and intro audio on 1 track, on-bike on the 2nd track, and any excess (like sound effects) go on a 3rd track. Then I put the NR on the on-bike stuff :D

I only have the 1 mic, so my engine noise is in the background of my voice audio track.

-John

I have found the reverse mounted GP on my handlebars actually picks up really good engine audio. I use my in-out points for the multi cam clip to drop that audio track on the timeline with the multi cam, then link it so when I cut and edit the engine noise stays in sync.

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
I have found the reverse mounted GP on my handlebars actually picks up really good engine audio. I use my in-out points for the multi cam clip to drop that audio track on the timeline with the multi cam, then link it so when I cut and edit the engine noise stays in sync.

I get the first sentence, but your second one about in/out points makes no sense to me. Are you saying that you switch between audio angles as well as camera angles?

My handlebar-mounted GP picks up some engine noise, but also a lot of wind noise and my voice, so it's a jumble if you try to play the audio from both GPs simultaneously. I only ever use the audio from my helmet GP, which has the mic plugged into it. When I edit the multicam clip, it's only to switch video.

-John

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
Huh, I've never done anything to my sound tracks. Sometimes when I put in some music I'll adjust the volume on it but that's it. Maybe I'll play around with noise reduction or other stuff in Resolve to see how they work, maybe I'm missing out on something I could use!

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
Huh, I've never done anything to my sound tracks. Sometimes when I put in some music I'll adjust the volume on it but that's it. Maybe I'll play around with noise reduction or other stuff in Resolve to see how they work, maybe I'm missing out on something I could use!

Yeah, your open helmet setup works quite well, and I'll be honest - I'm a bit jealous! My newest setup gets pretty good audio that sounds much better with the NR effect added to it, and sometimes a Limiter (which prevents harshness).

Can't hurt to try it on your own stuff and see/hear the results!

-John

Dewey316

Dewey|Rides
Oct 1, 2020
I ride a
I get the first sentence, but your second one about in/out points makes no sense to me. Are you saying that you switch between audio angles as well as camera angles?

That is actually the problem. I don't want to switch audio, I want both tracks. I drop the multi-cam clip in with the in-helmet mic audio track picked, then drop the audio track for the engine noise in the timeline on a second audio track. Then I select all three tracks, and link them. Then when I go through and make my cuts, it cuts all three tracks so the audio stays in sync between my talking, and the engine noise.

Once the cutting process is done, to switch views I do the multi-cam edit with camera angle switching only, so I don't touch the audio when I do those switches.

Like you see in this picture, I end up with one video track that is multi angle, and 2 audio tracks.

Screenshot.jpg

Reactions: HippoDrone

LandyVlad

King of Mycenae
Jun 8, 2020
Brisbane, Australia
gsx1400owners.org
I ride a
Suzuki GSX1400
I just get so confused by the multitude of settings for de-essing, NR and so on.
I don't understand what any of them actually do as far as what I adjust compared with what I perceive.
That is , what variables to adjust to fix a certain sound issue...

I actually am planning a few "Resolve for Moto Vloggers" videos in the near future... just gotta figure out how to record my screen and voiceover.

OBS (its free and works great)
Open Broadcaster Software®️ | OBS (obsproject.com)

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
That is actually the problem. I don't want to switch audio, I want both tracks. I drop the multi-cam clip in with the in-helmet mic audio track picked, then drop the audio track for the engine noise in the timeline on a second audio track. Then I select all three tracks, and link them. Then when I go through and make my cuts, it cuts all three tracks so the audio stays in sync between my talking, and the engine noise.

Once the cutting process is done, to switch views I do the multi-cam edit with camera angle switching only, so I don't touch the audio when I do those switches.

Like you see in this picture, I end up with one video track that is multi angle, and 2 audio tracks.

View attachment 5521

OK. that is what I pictured in my head - linking the multicam with a separate audio track. I don't do that, since I have but one mic. My GoPro Hero 9 ATE 15 mins of riding footage today, which pisses me off (I *think* it's a faulty SD card, could be the cam, I won't know until I swap out the SD card), but the Hero 8 footage caught SOME of my voice but way too much wind and engine noise to be useful. I should run a mic down to under the seat or something for the 8 to pick up engine/exhaust noise. Until I do that, I'll just stick with the 1 multicam clip and no separate audio tracks. (for bike noises anyway)

I just get so confused by the multitude of settings for de-essing, NR and so on.
I don't understand what any of them actually do as far as what I adjust compared with what I perceive.
That is , what variables to adjust to fix a certain sound issue...

OBS (its free and works great)
Open Broadcaster Software®️ | OBS (obsproject.com)

For me, the settings are mostly trial and error, but if you go to https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmeHO5GLuhtKui-WXetqukw and check out his videos, he's got specific videos on how to use the audio effects... very helpful. When I do my own "how to" videos on DR, It's gonna be from a moto vlogger's perspective.

Also, thanks for the link to OBS... will be downloading that for sure!

One thing to remember about audio is that you can't fix everything, and the best place to fix audio issues is at recording time, not post production. At this point, I'm using it to clean up my audio a little bit, not fix glaring issues - those I have mostly fixed via mic placement.

-John

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
steveyswid Editing Talk 24

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts