Has anyone tried this before? (audio question)

R9T

Wannabie Member
Aug 4, 2018
Belgium
I ride a
BMW R Nine T Pure
Howdy folks!

I'm a total beginner so forgive me if I ask some stupid questions ;-)
I noticed many motovloggers struggle getting a good, clear (voice) sound when riding at higher speeds.
How about you just mic your engine and traffic to get an ambient sound. Then (later), you record your voice at home in a controlled environment and mix it with your original recordings. Would that work?
Has anyone tried it before? Or is it a bad idea?

Cya,

R9T

lupin

2016 Solar Bear Champion.
Jul 5, 2015
Australia
www.imlupz.com
I ride a
FZ1N
So you mean doing a voice over.

It does work for clearer audio, however it makes it into a explanation as to what happened instead of it being live.

About the only time it seems to work for a video is for a crash video.

Reactions: R9T

Theodor

Don't wannabe
Nov 16, 2017
Estonia
I ride a
Valkyrie 1500
If you do more camera work, than just the helmet camera, combination of live commentary and voice over can work pretty well. I have an intention, of trying some voice over, with my this years holiday videos. I do take a lot of footage, of interesting places I visit, with my phone, so it is not just riding video.
Edit: besides, if everyone gets good audio right away, that would take away so many topics to make video of :p

Reactions: chaosnaut and R9T

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
Philadelphia/South Jersey
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
If you shoot with the intent of adding voice over later, than that works. If you are speaking, emoting, and gesturing with the intent of dubbing in your voice later than that’s a risk as you have to match the intensity, inflections, stress moments and correlations with body gestures and what’ts happening on screen after the fact.

With the former, adding your commentary later, idealy it can work if it’s warranted. I did voice over work in my last video. But it also runs the risk of having the rider feel detached from what’s happening on screen. It really comes down to finding the sweet spot in your helmet for your mic to record your voice with minimum wind and engine noise.

Having a brain bucket, half to 3/4 face helmet makes that difficult, so doing a voice over may be the better choice.

- Wolf

Reactions: Which Bike and R9T

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I struggle to get into voice over vlogs as a viewer, they can often feel very scripted and unnatural compared to an in helmet vlog. They would be a lot easier to edit though.

Theodor

Don't wannabe
Nov 16, 2017
Estonia
I ride a
Valkyrie 1500
@HippoDrone that is true. That is why I think it can only work well, when there is more video, than the riding. Then again, that is not pure motovlog anymore. But nowdays, how many people stick with pure motovlogs? All sorts of combinations of videos from drones, phones etc. are used, and thus the voiceover, in well selected spots, can add to the experience.

Reactions: HippoDrone and R9T

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
There are only a few motovloggers I watch that do voiceover/narration on their videos. It can seem fake. However, it is not to say that I would never use narration. I have had a mic come undone during a recording so I had to either throw out an otherwise great video or narrate.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I've had to add audio in editing on occasion too for the same reason @R-Rated

TWWaffle

Waffles
Mar 9, 2018
Houston
m.youtube.com
I ride a
2011 Zx6r/2008 Sportster 1200
Howdy folks!

I'm a total beginner so forgive me if I ask some stupid questions ;-)
I noticed many motovloggers struggle getting a good, clear (voice) sound when riding at higher speeds.
How about you just mic your engine and traffic to get an ambient sound. Then (later), you record your voice at home in a controlled environment and mix it with your original recordings. Would that work?
Has anyone tried it before? Or is it a bad idea?

Cya,

R9T

I think as a general rule of thumb, a good setup should be invested into for live audio recordings. I think the voice over application is the most effective when reviewing footage and you wanted to comment on it, for example a crash and replaying what was going through your mind as well as potential errors that you noticed after watching the video. I feel like I'm yelling when I'm talking on the freeway, but I guess it works lol..

Reactions: R9T and HippoDrone

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO