Funny Guilty of imitation!

Pooley

Wannabe tractor enthusiast
Nov 19, 2019
Derbyshire
I ride a
2003 Honda Deauville 650
I made a parody of the entire CHiPs intro, believe it comes under fair use. I ignored the claim.

• Love
Reactions: R-Rated

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
Philadelphia/South Jersey
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
Parody is protected under Fair Use, but it needs to satisfy its defination.

As the Supreme Court explained in Campbell v. Acuff-Rose Music, Inc., “Parody needs to mimic an original to make its point, and so has some claim to use the creation of its victim’s (or collective victims’) imagination, whereas satire can stand on its own two feet and so requires justification for the very act of borrowing.”

Nonetheless, every attempt at a parody is not created equally, and in each instance the particular parody would need to undergo the four factor fair use analysis to determine whether it constitutes a fair use. For example, an attempted parody of a song that borrows too much of the original composition and lyrics, and as a result sounds too much like the original, is less likely to qualify as a fair use.

I think Anthony has a good shot as his claim depute especially since the person making the claim isn't the actually copyright holder, but using the CHIP's theme song directly can be a problem too.

- Wolf

• Love

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
Did you purposefully add film grain to the video? Because if so then that is awesome! :D

• Love

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
If push comes to shove I'm sure you can find a dozen jazzy pieces for free on youtube. That is if you care about a few cents made on your teaser.

I always thought running a 30 second ad on a 33 second video would be bad form anyway.

I am think of blasting it on Twitter and citing Larry Wilcox and Erik Estrada for giggles. . .

Reactions: LoneWolfer

R-Rated

Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
Did you purposefully add film grain to the video? Because if so then that is awesome! :D

I did!

If you watch the intro to Season 1 E 1, the footage appears the film aged before they got it preserved. Some of the first season episodes have an occasional artifact as if the film was on its last leg before getting saved in a new form.

For those CHiPs nerds like me, notice how young the two actors look in the first few episodes and then they appear a little older about 4 episodes in. It is as if they shot a bunch of stuff and then put production on hold.

R-Rated

Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
This is why I added light film grain to mine :)

After this whole pandemic is under control, I plan on riding out to LA again and check out 777 Washington. Who knows, maybe I can get some footage of the place without getting in trouble. ;)

Or better yet, get cast and become a star o_O

• Haha
Reactions: Pooley

R-Rated

Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
Parody is protected under Fair Use, but it needs to satisfy its defination.

As the Supreme Court explained in Campbell v. Acuff-Rose Music, Inc., “Parody needs to mimic an original to make its point, and so has some claim to use the creation of its victim’s (or collective victims’) imagination, whereas satire can stand on its own two feet and so requires justification for the very act of borrowing.”

Nonetheless, every attempt at a parody is not created equally, and in each instance the particular parody would need to undergo the four factor fair use analysis to determine whether it constitutes a fair use. For example, an attempted parody of a song that borrows too much of the original composition and lyrics, and as a result sounds too much like the original, is less likely to qualify as a fair use.

I think Anthony has a good shot as his claim depute especially since the person making the claim isn't the actually copyright holder, but using the CHIP's theme song directly can be a problem too.

- Wolf

You are the SME on these things as always.

The claimant jumped in on the video after it was uploaded instead of waiting to see how I used it. Once I saw that, I decided to share it here with you guys.

The fact the video is a link only might have been a clue, plus there is no description in the video. Maybe I need to list there that this is intended to be a parody in that this is "found lost footage" from back in 1978 that did not make the cut for the show. That is what I was developing the project to be ultimately :)

I was thinking of editing it to have an intro where I find some old film and a projector but sadly this pandemic is making not safe to using my father in-laws stuff. His living room looks very 70's even today! I could rig my HDMI projector to show the clip on his screen while having his projector run.

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
Philadelphia/South Jersey
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
Any chance you can find some stock footage of someone using or loading a projector?

I've used this guy's site before. All of the footage is free to use.

- Wolf

• Love

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
I know this is old, but I have a video I made (which will go up on YT eventually LOL) wherein I have a TV in the background that was off during recording but I overlaid a picture and then video on top of the TV, and sort of darkened it to have it blend in with the room's (admittedly poor) lighting, and then a white flash and then a zoom in, and voila, you're watching my video. (I did this because there was some stuff I wanted to put in the video but forgot, so I thought an intro like that would be cool).

Anyway, you could do something like that instead of having to borrow a projector.

-John

YBGuy

Yellow Backpack Guy
Aug 14, 2020
San Francisco Bay Area
ybguy.com
I ride a
2005 RC51, and a 2004 Honda CBR1000RR
I know this is old, but I have a video I made (which will go up on YT eventually LOL) wherein I have a TV in the background that was off during recording but I overlaid a picture and then video on top of the TV, and sort of darkened it to have it blend in with the room's (admittedly poor) lighting, and then a white flash and then a zoom in, and voila, you're watching my video. (I did this because there was some stuff I wanted to put in the video but forgot, so I thought an intro like that would be cool).

Anyway, you could do something like that instead of having to borrow a projector.

-John
That sounds cool.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts