Ghost X As Replacement For VIRB?

Phaedrus

Wannabie Member
Nov 18, 2016
I ride a
2002 R1150GS
Hi.

Some of my VIRBs still work, but as Garmin no longer supports them, when they die I'm screwed. I don't want any of the newer VIRB X/XE or Ultra models, or any other 4K equivalent from the other brands.

Ghost X seems to have similar general spec as the VIRB - both top out at 1080p 30fps, which is fine for what I'm doing. They share very similar form factor too - I like that.

Anyone got much experience with the Ghost X? Is it as fragile in rain as some reports suggest?

TIA. :)

lupin

2016 Solar Bear Champion.
Jul 5, 2015
Australia
www.imlupz.com
I ride a
FZ1N
Why I don't have any experience with the X I did have a Stealth which is the one it replaced.

Honestly the camera was always problematic. It never really worked as well as it should have. My ghost on the other hand has been rock solid, so I'm not sure which one to trust.

If it were me I'd try to pick up a gopro session from somewhere (Which is what I did) and use that.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
If you go the Session route and want to run a mic to it, you'll need the Hero 5 Session as the 4 doesn't support external audio, you'd also need the audio adaptor which is almost the same size as the camera! :)

Riderguide

Neil - The Rider Guider
Feb 24, 2019
South Australia
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Yamaha Tenere 700 T7
I have two Ghost X's - certainly shower proof but needed a quick dry after a serious downpour I got caught in. No damage done. The new XL may tick the box perfectly. It's a bit dated in its set-up etc being a dot-matrix display you scroll through but as such doesn't really cause any issues. Once you dumb down to my level you'll get the hang of it haha.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts