FYI This Never happened to my Hero4s

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
So, after two weeks my GoPro Hero8 black took a tumble from waist high onto an empty plastic jug in the garage and then the garage floor.

Here is what I found after saying the magic word...

20200516_120800.jpg

And this...

20200516_120731.jpg

The funny part is I was modifying the dive case for running the cable for the brick just to give the camera extra protection when it fell.

I bought the camera from GoPro. The company has the camera now so stay tuned for how this turns out.

Pooley

Wannabe tractor enthusiast
Nov 19, 2019
Derbyshire
I ride a
2003 Honda Deauville 650
I don't even need to use being a tight bugger as an excuse for not upgrading from my 4's now :D

• Love
Reactions: R-Rated

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
I don't even need to use being a tight bugger as an excuse for not upgrading from my 4's now :D

To be honest, with the HEVC causing headaches on rendering - I am still wondering if it really is worth upgrading. Plus the stabilization crops the heck out of some of the shots, but so does me having the editing software stabilize the Hero4 footage.

I do love the onscreen gauges though. I can see them being useful on some videos like elevation and G force for hilly and twisty rides.

I have some vids coming up with the Hero4 Silver as the star so it should be interesting to see if anyone can tell the difference in the footage. ;)

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
I do love the onscreen gauges though. I can see them being useful on some videos like elevation and G force for hilly and twisty rides.

I read this "gauges" and I was going to ask what you were talking about, but I googled it and WOAH. This is a thing? I've been using my Hero 8 for over three months now and I never knew about this!

I've never even installed the official GoPro software, maybe I need to play around with that a bit....

• Love

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I did the same with my GoPro Hero 6, I just put a screen protector over it, still works fine, but I didn't have the GoPro care when that happened!

humes

Colorado Motovlogger
May 17, 2020
Denver, CO
www.instagram.com
I ride a
2012 Ducati Monster 696
Bummer on the drop. The protectors I put on my GoPro saved me once a few weeks back when I dropped it on pavement and had a big crack that ruined the protector but did not pierce to the screen. Great insurance to have.

I read this "gauges" and I was going to ask what you were talking about, but I googled it and WOAH. This is a thing? I've been using my Hero 8 for over three months now and I never knew about this!

I've never even installed the official GoPro software, maybe I need to play around with that a bit....

I looked at enabling the gauges for the Hero 8 but I needed to buy some 3rd party software to fix a "bug" in the GoPro Quik desktop app to access them. Strike one. Then I find out GoPro Quik isn't even supported much anymore and GoPro recommends using their mobile app only (no-go for this type of editing). Strike two. Lastly, loading up the footage into one editor to then export and re-import into my primary editor is just a pain in the ass. Strike three.

I did look at alternatives like using an Android app and generating .GPK files that you can overlay on top, but that's more hassle to sync as well and also can't import .GPK into FCP (my editor of choice) so have to do the dual editor job again. Just not worth it for me, but maybe someone else (or you) can figure out how to simplify it.

Heads up, to get accurate gauge data out of the GoPro you need to turn on the GoPro and wait for it to have a strong GPS signal (typically get away from a covered garage or what have you), then turn on filming.

SighBored

@thesighbored
Jan 18, 2015
Malaysia
www.thesighbored.com
I ride a
2012 Kawasaki ZX-6R
Hopefully they sort it out for you. What to expect having all that glass touch screen surface thing it's about as solid as a smart phone, when both have no case. My camera never comes out of it's Ulanzi case, the new gen Heroes should be called Wimps.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts