Full Leathers Or Textiles And Armoured Jeans

OlliePrice

The Friends of Ollie
Sep 16, 2014
I ride a
Triumph Tiger 800
For the Price, Comfort, and Maintenance Textiles win every time

Okay Leathers offer more protection, but it comes at a huge cost. Heavy, has been known to cause heat strokes in the summer, hypothermia in the winter.

CBRHoonigan

#1 Hoonigan
Apr 20, 2014
West yorkshire uk
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Anything with 2 wheels, ride it like you stole it.
For the Price, Comfort, and Maintenance Textiles win every time

Okay Leathers offer more protection, but it comes at a huge cost. Heavy, has been known to cause heat strokes in the summer, hypothermia in the winter.

yeh this is truee mate its why i got both, textiles are more practical in the winter months just less protection in a slide, and i think both are as bad with impacts.

OlliePrice

The Friends of Ollie
Sep 16, 2014
I ride a
Triumph Tiger 800
yeh this is truee mate its why i got both, textiles are more practical in the winter months just less protection in a slide, and i think both are as bad with impacts.
Well impacts are a whole another story. Contour armor is as good as it gets

CBRHoonigan

#1 Hoonigan
Apr 20, 2014
West yorkshire uk
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Impact is still an issue for them though even the best armour doesnt prevent stuff, as your body stops nothing can stop your internal organs from moving

OlliePrice

The Friends of Ollie
Sep 16, 2014
I ride a
Triumph Tiger 800
Impact is still an issue for them though even the best armour doesnt prevent stuff, as your body stops nothing can stop your internal organs from moving
That is what I said. It doesn't get any better

AndyManCam

www.youtube.com/anymancam
Feb 26, 2014
Hamburg
I ride a
Versys 650
Well impacts are a whole another story. Contour armor is as good as it gets

I used to have only Contour armour as it came with my leather trousers and I was impressed.

But then I discovered SAS-TEC based armour. I have Held Quattrotempi armour in my kevlar jeans which is not only half the thickness without any loss of protection (If it did, it wouldn't pass the EC safety testing) but it's also an 'intelligent' visco-elastic polymer. Basically it becomes really soft and compliant when it warms to your body heat so it's super comfortable. But when it's subjected to shock, it goes hard, thus protecting you from the impact by spreading the force across it's surface. Clever stuff.

It costs a little more, but the comfort alone makes it worth it. Plus my jeans don't look like I've got skate pads underneath them when I ride into town and walk around!

OlliePrice

The Friends of Ollie
Sep 16, 2014
I ride a
Triumph Tiger 800
But the point remains the same, we haven't evolved for our internal organs to go from 60-0 in milliseconds

MonsieurMarty

Black belt of lane splitting
Jul 5, 2014
France
www.youtube.com
I ride a
Aprilia Shiver 750
I've got Leather and Textile and both saved my life.

I had a crash on the highway (90km/h), I slided like 50 meters and started to roll.
I was able to get up and pickup my bike. It was with my textile Jacket (with protection in it of course). I was in pain for two months, but I have fully recovered.

My other crash : I slided on a "thing" in a curve (65km/h). I felt on the ground very hard and I did a (barrel :p) roll; I had my leather jacket. No injury, except some bruises on my knee.
But, it's so badass to have scratch on your jacket :p.

So, Textile or leather, he can protect you well.
I prefer textile for commuting (because of the rain for example) and leather for weekend rides :)

Reactions: OlliePrice

OlliePrice

The Friends of Ollie
Sep 16, 2014
I ride a
Triumph Tiger 800
I've got Leather and Textile and both saved my life.

I had a crash on the highway (90km/h), I slided like 50 meters and started to roll.
I was able to get up and pickup my bike. It was with my textile Jacket (with protection in it of course). I was in pain for two months, but I have fully recovered.

My other crash : I slided on a "thing" in a curve (65km/h). I felt on the ground very hard and I did a (barrel :p) roll; I had my leather jacket. No injury, except some bruises on my knee.
But, it's so badass to have scratch on your jacket :p.

So, Textile or leather, he can protect you well.
I prefer textile for commuting (because of the rain for example) and leather for weekend rides :)
Glad that you are still okay tho

chix

Bike Chick
Oct 30, 2014
Texas
ridestandups.com
I ride a
2015 Grom
I don't always ride in leathers on the street, but they offer significant protection and are totally worth wearing all the time. I went down on track in full leathers at about 90mph and came away with only a bruise on my arm and my ego. My bf recently went down turning his 450 supermoto around in a parking lot after a wash on a cold day. Front wheel came right out from under him and bam, down he went going 5-10mph. Wasn't wearing gear since he was putting it in the garage. He got some rash on his arm, knuckles, and head. Bruised hip, ankle and elbow. Had he been in full gear in the same situation probably have no injury at all.

leathers_zpsadcfc9c8.jpg

Carmo

Wannabie Member
Nov 28, 2014
Victoria, Australia
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson Street Glide
Draggin jeans, leather boots and a leather jacket (with vents for the Australian summer!) as a base. Then leather or mesh vented gloves, open face or flip face helmet depending on the weather or wait I'm in the mood for that day.

Mach1 Aus

G'date mate. Nice bike.
Dec 22, 2014
Perth, Western Australia
I ride a
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250r
I have started out with a DriRider armoured textile Jacket, some armoured gloves and casual riding boots. Am keen on some kevlar jeans though when I can rub a few coins together...I like the look of the Draggin jeans. Im in Perth, Western Australia so I thought the heat and the cost of leather isn't worth it for me whilst I'm riding a 250. Once I get a bigger bike I may reconsider the trade off for leather.

RealRider

No longer a member
Nov 5, 2014
Brisbane
I ride to work with a full textile suit over my business suit. Mountain/long rides I do leather jacket and armoured kevlar jeans.

Kayoken

Scooter Vloger
Dec 23, 2014
Dickson
I ride a
2006 Kymco Grandvista 250
Textails and armor is fine for me. I would like a nice leather jacket on colder days, but other than that I am happy.

Runnin1ife

Wannabie Member
Nov 17, 2014
Chesapeake Virginia
I ride a
2014 Kawasaki Ninja 650, 1991 Honda CBR 1000f
I have 2 textile jackets, one for summer, one for winter that is 3/4 length and has a removable fully sleeved thermal quilted liner.
Then I have mesh pants with a waterproof liner, 2 full face helmets, both bell, one pair of full leather full gauntlet gloves with armor, and a pair textile and leather thinsulated waterproof armor for the winter.

I have been in the Military for 11 years next month and do not like the idea of wearing leather.

Plus the price of leathers is freaking crazy.

I just need to get a pair of textile insulated pants as well.
Oh I also have a pair of fully leather 11 inch waterproof riding boots.

CBRHoonigan

#1 Hoonigan
Apr 20, 2014
West yorkshire uk
www.youtube.com
I ride a
I have 2 textile jackets, one for summer, one for winter that is 3/4 length and has a removable fully sleeved thermal quilted liner.
Then I have mesh pants with a waterproof liner, 2 full face helmets, both bell, one pair of full leather full gauntlet gloves with armor, and a pair textile and leather thinsulated waterproof armor for the winter.

I have been in the Military for 11 years next month and do not like the idea of wearing leather.

Plus the price of leathers is freaking crazy.

I just need to get a pair of textile insulated pants as well.
Oh I also have a pair of fully leather 11 inch waterproof riding boots.
I didnt like the idea of wearing a leather suit but man once you try it you will love it, feel like a power ranger, also added protection also can look badass, and for the track days or occasional crazy riding in the twisties.

Carmo

Wannabie Member
Nov 28, 2014
Victoria, Australia
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson Street Glide
While most of the world is experiencing winter we are experiencing summer here in Australia. On my last two or three rides the temperature has easily reached over 30°C and on my last ride it reached 36.5°C. I was wearing my flip face helmet leather jacket dragon jeans mesh gloves and leather boots. To deal with the heat I had my flip face helmet up at times when I was travelling under 100 km an hour I had my zip events opened on my jacket And I had my T-shirt soaked with water (try it!). All this and I was comfortable on the move when I had to stop at the traffic lights I felt the heat!

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts