Frustrated old guy looking for tips

CollingsB

Certified JB Welder
Mar 23, 2024
I ride a
BMW R1300 GS
Hi…I’ve shot and edited a bunch of videos that I am mostly unhappy with..poor audio, GoPro crashing..looking for tips!

Reactions: HippoDrone

Theodor

Don't wannabe
Nov 16, 2017
Estonia
I ride a
Valkyrie 1500
I bet it could help if you would go a little more in to details. What exactly is the issue with the audio, is it wind noise, clipping etc.
Also about the camera, which model do you have, does it crash with similar circumstances, if so what are the circumstances?

CollingsB

Certified JB Welder
Mar 23, 2024
I ride a
BMW R1300 GS
I bet it could help if you would go a little more in to details. What exactly is the issue with the audio, is it wind noise, clipping etc.
Also about the camera, which model do you have, does it crash with similar circumstances, if so what are the circumstances?
I have a GoPro Hero 10 with the media mod and a purple panda mic. There is far too much wind noise. The mic is placed near my mouth in a Shoei RF helmet, close to the mic for my Cardo. The camera crashed once last year while driving over the Applecross pass in Scotland, ironically the part of the trip that I most wanted to record..I ended up with random sections of the whole recording.

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
Is the helmet open face or full face? Does the mic have a deadcat on it? (a fuzzy ball to diminish wind noise)

Reactions: Theodor

Theodor

Don't wannabe
Nov 16, 2017
Estonia
I ride a
Valkyrie 1500
Regarding wind noise, I think you might find this thread interesting
Also, a big part of it is the helmet shape and what external stuff we hang off the helmet.
If technical solutions do not help, @Drakhen99 has some good tips about post processing the audio for extra clarity. I think it will be easier and quicker for him to find the link to the videos where he goes over that.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Is the external microphone enabled in the GoPro settings?

I run a Hero 10, but gave up on the Media Mod as I just couldn't get on with the faffery when changing batteries so use the microphone adaptor from the Hero 5 and a Ulanzi battery door. It works the same as the Media Mod, but just suits my setup better...

Are you running a deadcat on the mic tip?

Reactions: R-Rated

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Regarding the crashing, are you using a good quality memory card from a reputable seller? There are a lot of fakes about and they can cause crashes. Also, are you running the regular blue tipped batteries, or the white tipped endurance batteries? I had a bit of grief with the blue tipped batteries, swapped to the new white ones and my GoPro Hero 10 has been solid as a rock for the few years I've used and abused it rain or shine.

Reactions: Drakhen99

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
Thanks @Theodor for the recommendation. I hope @HippoDrone doesn't mind, but my review of Clarity Vx from Waves ought to REALLY help with the wind noise:

In addition to that, I have SEVERAL videos in a playlist called Motovlog Gear Setup that will be helpful with mic setup, placement, volume levels, and my audio processing stack, as I call it.

As for the GoPro crashing,... the Hero 10 in my experience has the most issues this side of the Hero 9. Most of the issues have workarounds, which I've also done videos on, but using a quality SD card, regular Factory Resets & SD card reformatting, all those can help prevent it. Using Enduro batteries like @HippoDrone said is 100% recommended, and trying to make sure you don't let the battery get lower than about 30% charge... that's what I'd suggest.

I've recorded well over 500 hours with each of my cameras at this point, and it's RARE for me to have a technical mishap. It's usually down to the aforementioned issues.

If you've read this far, I highly suggest searching through my channel or visiting my playlists, as I show in detail how things foul up and how I've fixed or worked around them.

-John

CollingsB

Certified JB Welder
Mar 23, 2024
I ride a
BMW R1300 GS
Thanks @Theodor for the recommendation. I hope @HippoDrone doesn't mind, but my review of Clarity Vx from Waves ought to REALLY help with the wind noise:

In addition to that, I have SEVERAL videos in a playlist called Motovlog Gear Setup that will be helpful with mic setup, placement, volume levels, and my audio processing stack, as I call it.

As for the GoPro crashing,... the Hero 10 in my experience has the most issues this side of the Hero 9. Most of the issues have workarounds, which I've also done videos on, but using a quality SD card, regular Factory Resets & SD card reformatting, all those can help prevent it. Using Enduro batteries like @HippoDrone said is 100% recommended, and trying to make sure you don't let the battery get lower than about 30% charge... that's what I'd suggest.

I've recorded well over 500 hours with each of my cameras at this point, and it's RARE for me to have a technical mishap. It's usually down to the aforementioned issues.

If you've read this far, I highly suggest searching through my channel or visiting my playlists, as I show in detail how things foul up and how I've fixed or worked around them.

-John
Many Thanks! Maybe it’s time to upgrade to the 12!

CollingsB

Certified JB Welder
Mar 23, 2024
I ride a
BMW R1300 GS

-John
Wow! Holy crap levels of impressive!

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
I second @HippoDrone on switching from the media mod to the dongle that just plugs in with mic going into it. Not only is it easier to swap batteries but it also makes the camera's profile smaller so less wind noise.

I found placing the mic from in the front of the chinbar to where the strap comes through the cheek back helps. I did that with the Sony ECM mics because they are a lot more sensitive than the Purple Panada.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts