Food for thought - How many of these tips do you do? Or need to do?

R-Rated

Remember to Have Fun! - Solar Bear 2020 Champion
Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
2014 Harley Davidson (FLHTK) Ultra Limited
This is not my video but it is one that YouTube pushed out as part the Creator series. When I watched this I saw 2.5 tips that I am doing and 1.5 that I need to work on.

Since this a topic that beginners and experienced alike think about I thought I would share this video with the forum -

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Do you have a TLDW synopsis of the vid?

R-Rated

Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
Do you have a TLDW synopsis of the vid?
Sorry I don't feel comfortable trying to give a Cliff Notes version.

It really is not that long of a video (just over 6 minutes). I do not want gloss over the importance of the advice given from a large creator that YouTube felt worthy of pushing out as part of YouTube's series.

Reactions: HippoDrone

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I do number 3, not really making enough content to be as organised as he is with his daily vids. I'm sure a few on here do the database thing though? :)

• Love
Reactions: R-Rated

R-Rated

Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
I do number 3, not really making enough content to be as organised as he is with his daily vids. I'm sure a few on here do the database thing though? :)
I can see even where 1 and 2 can apply to someone even planning publishing weekly or pretty much any schedule.4 should have been moved up and then revisited as it helps allow more time for 1 and 2.

Organization can go beyond tracking ideas on a spreadsheet. How many times has getting cameras set up been a snag for capturing?

@scooterwuf was far more organized than me during our trip on where he placed his cameras for shots. So I got a ways to go there on #4.

@LoneWolfer beat me on organization of capturing audio from two sources.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I don't really plan my videos unless it is a review of something, and everytime I've tried to plan those videos, a spanner finds the works and kills the plan. I think if I had sponsorship deals, or ran Patreon or equivelant, then maybe planning would be needed, but with it all being a hobby, and one I currently have time for, I'll carry on winging it. I imagine that would be harder if I had a partner, kids, 9-5 job though.

Reactions: Dnljmrs and R-Rated

R-Rated

Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
I don't really plan my videos unless it is a review of something, and everytime I've tried to plan those videos, a spanner finds the works and kills the plan. I think if I had sponsorship deals, or ran Patreon or equivelant, then maybe planning would be needed, but with it all being a hobby, and one I currently have time for, I'll carry on winging it. I imagine that would be harder if I had a partner, kids, 9-5 job though.
I hear you about how-to videos and Murphy's law.

I bet even with you just out recording raw footage you still come up with a plan on how you want present and edit the content. You may even have a preset pattern or template saved where you have your intro and outro placed. That saves time.

Sometimes we can have a few topics we want to cover during a day out on the bike. That would save some time too.

Then scheduling as far out as possible is going to really save a lot of us grief. Think about the challenges of regular jobs, health, inspiration, and even tech. Having stuff edited and uploaded can take some pressure off plus give a buffer for time to go out and restart the 4 steps or worse - Murphy's Law stops by for a visit.

I wish I had seen this as a rookie motovlogger. But better late than never.

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
I recently posted a video a day for 6 days, so I guess I "planned" that as I asked what people wanted to see, 1 long vid, or multiple short vids. I then went with the majority and broke the long video down into chunks and scheduled them to go up each day while I was away camping on the next trip. I always like to have a couple of vids in my yet to upload folder, I currently have 2 that are ones I can post anytime and 2 that are time sensitive, I save the timeless ones in case I get ill or the weather stops me riding, but keep up to date in posting the time sensitive vids as best I can.

LoneWolfer

Lone Wolfer Garage
Jun 1, 2017
Connecticut
www.thelonewolfer.com
I ride a
Harley Nightster, Harley Switchback & Suzuki Savage
I try and use batching as much as possible, but it can be so hard when you only have an hour or less to get what you need done. It is brutal with the how to stuff since Murphy's Law and all. As for on the bike vlogs, I need to be better at being ready, have my camera on, and utilize one of Anthony's techniques of starting and stopping recording more often. Just such a pain when using an external battery pack makes the Gopro finicky.

Theodor

Don't wannabe
Nov 16, 2017
Estonia
I ride a
Valkyrie 1500
I use scheduling a lot.
I used a spreadsheet around the time I did my Norway trip. I wrote down all ideas that I got, and when I had time to record a vlog I just picked one of the topics I had noted down. Marked them also planned, edited, uploaded. By now I have kind of stopped doing it. I still have some notes, when I get some brilliant idea over the winter, but by summer I often think the idea is dated already, and just skip them.
Never done script thing and I don't think I really do things in batches, well, except sometimes recording. Editing takes so much time for me, usually. Longer videos I edit several days, just because I can only spare so much time, every day.

R-Rated

Aug 4, 2016
Middle Tennessee USA
www.R-RatedCustoms.com
I ride a
I try and use batching as much as possible, but it can be so hard when you only have an hour or less to get what you need done. It is brutal with the how to stuff since Murphy's Law and all. As for on the bike vlogs, I need to be better at being ready, have my camera on, and utilize one of Anthony's techniques of starting and stopping recording more often. Just such a pain when using an external battery pack makes the Gopro finicky.
I am sure you hearing throughout our ride me starting and stopping mine was annoying but it did save me from keeping too much dead air footage or missing too many shots when in the moment.

Reactions: LoneWolfer

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
Very interesting 6 minute video. I actually already do all four of those steps to some degree:

1. BATCHING - I usually film more than one motovlog per ride when I set out to film. This gives me a stockpile of footage to edit up with minimal camera work. I also find it easier to film a lot while I'm in the motovlogging mindset.

2. ORGANIZING - I do a LOT of this as I have a detailed Excel spreadsheet of all motovlogs I have made and want to make, including their titles, some notes on each, date I plan to post it public on YT, date I plan to film it, etc.

3. SCHEDULING - See above, my spreadsheet is a large part of how I do Moto Mengy. I plan which motovlogs I'll film together, I plan when each video will go live, I know how many more motovlogs I need to film and save up to last me throughout the rest of the year and the winter months. I schedule fanatically!

4. REPETITION - I do this to a limited degree, as I have notes about editor & camera settings and such.

Good thread and an interesting video. :cool:

• Love

scooterwuf

L Plate Member
Jan 6, 2017
Philadelphia/South Jersey
I ride a
Kymco Downtown 300i
These are great points, and thanks for posting. 1 would be hard for me to follow because I think these tactics may apply to someone who can work on their content on a full time basis. I tend to shoot when commuting, or making longer trips. For the former (commuting) I may have a specific topic I’m focused on. For the latter I can bring up different subjects, but they all may fall under the same umbrella topic of my trip.

For 2 (organizing) it may be about logging the footage which I do by creating markers in Premiere and writing notes on them. This helps if I’m doing a multi-camera set up, or I may have an idea for transitions or a musical genre or mood/style. For my latest Unboxing video I made a shot list for all the cutaways I had to shoot, both as still images and video footage. I guess I’m old sechool as I just wrote a list on paper and then used colored markers to indicate which items I would shoot together with the same camera set up, which were shot as video, and which needed a new camera set up.

Scheduling is dependent on my free time to edit, create icons, and then uploading. Repetition is about getting my action cameras set-up the same, mic placement in my helmet, but the x-factors are the weather, traffic, and road conditions. We shoot in the field, and generally in different places and not always in a fixed studio, but I think we’re getting good at rolling with those punches.

14CB4506-89D4-4B15-ADA2-DCAAA527AA4D.jpeg2BB522B6-D98D-4209-BCF4-B604BFA2AA21.jpeg

- Wolf

LoneWolfer

Lone Wolfer Garage
Jun 1, 2017
Connecticut
www.thelonewolfer.com
I ride a
Harley Nightster, Harley Switchback & Suzuki Savage
I am sure you hearing throughout our ride me starting and stopping mine was annoying but it did save me from keeping too much dead air footage or missing too many shots when in the moment.
If I had to spend one more day hearing you starting and stopping your gopro, I would have been just fine hahaha

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
Not than anyone asked me, but I do all 4 of these to varying degrees. I batch record videos while out riding, or if I'm commuting, I'll get one vid on the commute in, and another on the ride home. Like Mengy, I keep a spreadsheet on current projects, things I want to talk about during a ride, and I use it to keep track of editing time and notes and such. I schedule all of my videos, usually 1-2 weeks ahead of publishing, since the copyright-free sites sometimes have issues if you schedule too far in advance. For repetition, I've set up Resolve with all my assets, so it's drag-and-drop for most of my overlays, color correction, logos, etc.

I've noticed that doing this has brought my editing down from about 5 hours per video to 2. And once uploaded, I'll do the detail work [description, tags, etc.] and then I'll spend one evening every other week doing thumbnails.

-John

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
For repetition, I've set up Resolve with all my assets, so it's drag-and-drop for most of my overlays, color correction, logos, etc....I've noticed that doing this has brought my editing down from about 5 hours per video to 2.
I still spend far too much time editing videos. I have templates and presets setup which do reduce the time involved, but my problem is I just take too much time deciding on what to cut, which camera angle to choose, music choices, etc. Adding the ONE X2 360° camera didn't help my editing time either. I'm a slow editor creatively! :p

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
I still spend far too much time editing videos. I have templates and presets setup which do reduce the time involved, but my problem is I just take too much time deciding on what to cut, which camera angle to choose, music choices, etc. Adding the ONE X2 360° camera didn't help my editing time either. I'm a slow editor creatively! :p
I'm bad at cutting stuff out - I'm like "No, that was comedy GOLD! It doesn't get cut!" only to later realize that the whole section doesn't make sense anymore since I cut something else out.

The camera angle switches & stuff? I generally have an idea of where I'll use the 360 footage, so that's easy enough, and I try to use my fairing camera when I want to emphasize something I'm saying [or needed to cut some blank space], so that part has gotten easier for me.

-John

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts