First time camera setup

Mutant

Wannabie Member
Apr 22, 2019
I ride a
K 4 GSX-R 1000
Morning all,

As the title says im a first time action camera user and looking for a little feed back on camera setup.
I have a GoPro 7 Black and am recording at 2.7K 60FPS I have Protune turned on with ISO min/max at 100/800 with sharpness set to medium. White balance is set at Auto with all other Protune settings left as is.

Last edited by a moderator:

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
Hi Mutant, I have my iso max at 1600. I gave up recording in 2.7k 60fps as it used the battery and memory a lot faster than with 1080/60. Both myself and @R-Rated have had good results upscaling the 1080 to 4k with our editing software and tricking YouTube into thinking it is 4k, it gave us a higher bitrate and a better codec on YouTube. Might be worth trying.

808MLS

@808MotoLifeStylez
Apr 15, 2019
Hawaii
808motolifestylez.com
I ride a
2018 BMW S1KRR
2015 Harley Davidson FLHXS
This is one of those "no one answer will fit all kind of situations" that said... it comes down to what you're primarily trying to capture and the environment in which you're wanting to do so... i.e sunny, cloudy, in-door/out-doors etc., etc... soooo... try different settings until you dial in to what works best for you and of course the situation at hand.

Reactions: HRMV

RideOnTwo

Smart Ass
Jun 14, 2019
Massachusetts USA
I ride a
BMW F750GS
Hi Mutant, I have my iso max at 1600. I gave up recording in 2.7k 60fps as it used the battery and memory a lot faster than with 1080/60. Both myself and @R-Rated have had good results upscaling the 1080 to 4k with our editing software and tricking YouTube into thinking it is 4k, it gave us a higher bitrate and a better codec on YouTube. Might be worth trying.
What editing software are you using to do this, please do not say Adobe :oops:. Just ordered a Hero7, mic adapter and case. Will be testing this out soon with my hero 4 as backup. I have my 4 dialed in and am researching settings. Scouring the forums here first as everyone is doing what I will be with the camera.

Reactions: HippoDrone

HippoDrone

Admin
Jan 2, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I ride a
1984 Honda CB100-N
2012 Moto Guzzi V7
2017 Suzuki GSX-R750
2020 Beta 390RR
2022 Aprilia Tuareg 660
What editing software are you using to do this, please do not say Adobe :oops:. Just ordered a Hero7, mic adapter and case. Will be testing this out soon with my hero 4 as backup. I have my 4 dialed in and am researching settings. Scouring the forums here first as everyone is doing what I will be with the camera.
Filmora Wondershare. Oh good luck with the 7 :)

RideOnTwo

Smart Ass
Jun 14, 2019
Massachusetts USA
I ride a
BMW F750GS
got it from amazon so worst case scenario I send it back and get a 5 or whatever. Being able to use the remote for GoPro to turn all cameras on and record with push of a button YES PLEASE! I have to stop and get off bike to check my other cameras, no front screen or light to tell if recording. They both take good video but pain to set up on the go.

Keep hearing a lot of good things about Filmora, I chose to start with DaVinci Resolve 15 (now 16 but still free) but am getting to the point that a lot of the things I want to do are only in the paid version. If I have to pay I will try others to see which I like better.

Reactions: HRMV and HippoDrone

HRMV

Unsupervised Wanderer
Sep 22, 2019
I ride a
Kawasaki Z800
In terms of camera set up I must admit I am a fan of the switch it on, point it, push record and review and use post capture development software school of thought. I have previously changed settings on cameras whilst "on location" however found when I get home some of the shots were indeed better, but others had been ruined.

If you are using decent post capture editing software it should be possible to overcome many of the issues like over exposure. As always this is just my experience and opinion.

Reactions: RideOnTwo

RideOnTwo

Smart Ass
Jun 14, 2019
Massachusetts USA
I ride a
BMW F750GS
In terms of camera set up I must admit I am a fan of the switch it on, point it, push record and review and use post capture development software school of thought. I have previously changed settings on cameras whilst "on location" however found when I get home some of the shots were indeed better, but others had been ruined.

If you are using decent post capture editing software it should be possible to overcome many of the issues like over exposure. As always this is just my experience and opinion.
You are so on point with this one. My cheap cameras do not have the settings required but on the gopro's I use flat color and set my white balance and such with protune. After I can go into Resolve and edit the color to keep it more consistent through the video. Any decent photographer I have seen will always say that letting cameras decide what settings are best is a bad idea unless you are inside and lighting etc will not change. If the camera sees too much green it makes an adjustment etc, as well as with lighting. Traveling through trees is going to be darker and I don't really want the camera to make that adjustment, soon as you come out o the trees you will be overexposed. Using protune to adjust your settings keeps everything the same while it is captured and if done properly you will have a great canvas to start with.

Reactions: HRMV

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts