Favourite/best Camera Settings?

For solo riding, 1080p 60fps superwide is nice, but things may appear further away than they really are, and you have to get really up close and personal with the object to have it show up nicely in the footage, hence my preference if just solo riding without any subject/object in the view that you're following.

For group riding or any views that I would like to be focusing on a subject, I would drop it to 1080p 60fps wide.

1080p30 is a lot better than 1080p60 for YouTube if you have nice scenery, at least until YouTube increases their 60fps bitrates.

I really don't like the massively distorted view of Superview on GoPro cameras so I tend to use the medium FOV option when on the bike, and wide when off it.

I shoot in 1080p24, which I know isn't what most people use. I'm also not big on the 60fps stuff as it has a surreal look to it.

24fps is the standard rate for analog film and was used for decades before digital filmmaking. For some reason we perceive 24fps as a very smooth, natural image. 24fps v 29.97fps is one big reason that broadcast TV shows used to "feel" so much different than film. Plus, with fewer frames, you get the benefit of smaller files or a higher bitrate with a smaller file on export.

I haven't been recording with ProTune, but I'm thinking I'm going to start using it. I use it for things when I feel like the higher bitrate will help or when I know I'm color matching in post. But on my last vid I noticed a lot of compression at speed on the bike and I feel like the extra bitrate would help out. I'm also going to crank up my export bitrates to help with the issue in the future.

My old camera, a sony AS20, I use at 1080p 30fps. It doesnt have any color settings so I have to change it in post if its an overcast grey day.

my new one, a sony AS200, I use 1080p 30FPS with vivid color setting and rather than MP4 format, I use XAVC, which is a sony format, and it's a noticeable improvement in quality. It's like JPG vs RAW for photography.

also, on both cameras I use SteadyShot. Keeps things from being super shaky, since I'm riding an atv, on less than smooth roads this is a huge help. And the main reason I went with sony vs the other brands,

Yeah, the stabilization is a big benefit. I hope the other brands catch up on that front.

im surprised they haven't already, really. It's such a huge improvement having it.
I can only assume it's to extend battery life or it's a form factor consideration. That, or they assume the users will just fix it in post ... which is never the best idea.

I can only assume it's to extend battery life or it's a form factor consideration. That, or they assume the users will just fix it in post ... which is never the best idea.
true, does eat up some battery life but it's totally worth it. Maybe sony has some kind of patent on the technology as well.

true, does eat up some battery life but it's totally worth it. Maybe sony has some kind of patent on the technology as well.

Garmin has some sort of stabilisation on their Virb cameras, but I honestly haven't noticed much of a difference between that and Gopro

It's really bad for rotational shots, such as doing an airborne 360 on a snowboard or bike. Wide angle lenses also diminish the need for one.

Having said that, I'd like the option of using it in the next GoPro.

It's really bad for rotational shots, such as doing an airborne 360 on a snowboard or bike. Wide angle lenses also diminish the need for one.

Having said that, I'd like the option of using it in the next GoPro.
Yeah. A lot of that depends on the stabilization algorithm though. Like how Canon has different stabilization modes on their IS lenses.

And of course, just to have as an option. Stabilization isn't always good.

Same as you bud, 1080p @60fps with Superview, although I have been tempted to go to normal view when doing garage vids just haven't had a chance to mess around with it too much.

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts

Back