Favourite/best Camera Settings?

jthomas

jthomas1310
I'm interested to hear what others are using/recommend as settings on their cameras. I use GoPro and mostly have it on the chest mount. For this I use 1080 Superview at 60 fps. I find its a great all rounder to get a good wide shot and seems to keep the HD nice and crisp from converting/exporting and then uploading to Youtube and without dealing with too large of a file. Some videos I see out there seem so sharp in image, I assume they are probably filming in 4K, but I haven't seen the benefit of having to painfully deal with a extremely long rendering time as well as upload. (Here in Australia our internet is very ancient and have terrible speeds)

see i use gopros to but i use them on 920p on wide angle thats just how i prefer to do it iv tryd 1080 i notice the frame rate difrence but its all persinal prefrence

1080p 30fps, on a HD Drift Ghost S. 60 is overkill for me as I don't get a better picture and it uses too much memory.

I like the smoothness, but I get the seasick thing. You need to have a smooth picture for high frame rates.

I just run all my cameras at max everything. That way I figure you have a better chance at fixing things in post.

Also I personally would rather use my limited SD card space with a 1080p Protune Flat file than a 2.7K non Protune file....

Im yet to notice a real difference besides deeper colour with protune. (and larger files) Going to have to really try it out more.

Im yet to notice a real difference besides deeper colour with protune. (and larger files) Going to have to really try it out more.

If you have GoPro Color selected it will look identical to non Protune. Set it to Flat and it should hopefully have a little more highlight and shadow detail but you need to grade it in post or it will look flat and yucky. I also have exposure compensation set to -0.5 in an effort to preserve highlights

If you have GoPro Color selected it will look identical to non Protune. Set it to Flat and it should hopefully have a little more highlight and shadow detail but you need to grade it in post or it will look flat and yucky. I also have exposure compensation set to -0.5 in an effort to preserve highlights
Thanks! Will be definitely giving that a go. Makes sense as to why I couldnt figure out its purpose lol.

Thanks! Will be definitely giving that a go. Makes sense as to why I couldnt figure out its purpose lol.

No problemo. Although I should add, when I say it will look identical that is ignoring the higher bitrate you get with ProTune but I haven't looked closely at it side by side yet to tell if there is much difference in detail. I am sure others here have tested it more than I

My new camera doesn't have much in the line of settings, but I can choose 720p 60fps or 1080p 30fps. Most people seem to go for 60fps, but I'm going with 1080p. I don't get seasick from 60fps, but I don't like the "sped up" effect it has

I use 1080p 60fps, that way it for sure catches all the action and if needed I can do proper slowmos that don't look juddery. Crashes, stupid drivers, cool stuff, etc.

1080 @60fps Also I have the spot meter on, you would be surprised how just using the spot meter on a GoPro can make that video go from dull to proper HD.

gopro black 3+ I have been filming on 1080 60fps on wide screen but may mess around with medium frame.

I thought the 60fps looked weird at first but then I watched 30fps and much prefer the smoothness of the 60fps...plus if anything really gnarly happens you have the luxury of slowing the footage down twice as much without loosing smoothness (i think)

Can anyone tell me what protune and superview do in a nut shell in regards to vlog footage. Do you think I should be using them?

Protune will either give you great coloyrs no messing in post, or give you it raw to tweak later.

Superview gives a taller view by using all the sensor but squishes it down to 1080 height.

Protune will either give you great coloyrs no messing in post, or give you it raw to tweak later.

Superview gives a taller view by using all the sensor but squishes it down to 1080 height.

Thanks Lurch! I will have to mess with it a little more and try other options :) since I can't keep the bike at my house I only get to ride once a week or so and tend to just say stuff it and ride instead of messing with camera/mic settings too much. which is probably why my first few videos came back with lots of wind noise haha

But every time I tweak it a little just not as long as a should be tweaking to get it right for me

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts

Back