Editing through hours of footage

HRMV

Unsupervised Wanderer
Sep 22, 2019
I ride a
Kawasaki Z800
Thanks!

My Honda on the other hand.. not so much hahahaha!!

Think a few folk use the toot the horn process however I never pay any attention to what I'm rabbiting on about at the time of recording so unfortunately I still have to sit through hours of recorded footage for minutes of usable stuff.

Reactions: Pooley

Pooley

Wannabe tractor enthusiast
Nov 19, 2019
Derbyshire
I ride a
2003 Honda Deauville 650
Think a few folk use the toot the horn process however I never pay any attention to what I'm rabbiting on about at the time of recording so unfortunately I still have to sit through hours of recorded footage for minutes of usable stuff.
Oh I was referring to the fact my bike is rather quiet hahaha

But I do use the toot method to sync up, makes it 10x easier in post :)

Reactions: HRMV and scooterwuf

HRMV

Unsupervised Wanderer
Sep 22, 2019
I ride a
Kawasaki Z800
I just rewatch hours and hourse of footage lol.
cut shit out and place shorten it down, I can tell by audio peaks when I'm talking and when I'm not which helps
Yeah I am slowly getting to grips with audio peaks etc for editing purposes.

Reactions: Meifesto

Drakhen99

The Forrest Gump of Motovloggers
Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
Man, this is THE MOST frustrating part of making a video - scrubbing the footage from several hours to just the usable stuff.

I started out recording EVERYTHING, and then it would take 2x as long as the footage was just to scrub it first. Then another 2x to cut it down to just the clips I wanted with proper transitions and all that.

I got the GoPro Smart Remote to cut down on my footage - 2 hours became 30 mins of footage, so the editing is LOADS faster.

I still struggle with transitions, multiple takes (figuring out which is best), and then adding text overlays, watermark, music, and special effects. I track my editing time, so it takes 10-15 hours to do each video from soup to nuts.

-John

Reactions: HRMV

HRMV

Unsupervised Wanderer
Sep 22, 2019
I ride a
Kawasaki Z800
Man, this is THE MOST frustrating part of making a video - scrubbing the footage from several hours to just the usable stuff.

I started out recording EVERYTHING, and then it would take 2x as long as the footage was just to scrub it first. Then another 2x to cut it down to just the clips I wanted with proper transitions and all that.

I got the GoPro Smart Remote to cut down on my footage - 2 hours became 30 mins of footage, so the editing is LOADS faster.

I still struggle with transitions, multiple takes (figuring out which is best), and then adding text overlays, watermark, music, and special effects. I track my editing time, so it takes 10-15 hours to do each video from soup to nuts.

-John
My problem with using a remote to turn camera on and off at random parts during the ride is the constant fear of missing something decent. Lol

Reactions: Drakhen99

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
2019 Harley Street Glide Special, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (bobber), 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR
My problem with using a remote to turn camera on and off at random parts during the ride is the constant fear of missing something decent. Lol

Quite true! I have missed a few things here and there while on a ride to go vlog, but it still beats scrubbing through hours of footage for a few minutes of talking.

One thing I did while recording the entire ride was to stop and start recording after something interesting happened, or before speaking. That way the interesting footage is either at the start or very end. If I'm not talking at the beginning of a clip, I know that the end of the clip is where the action is, and vice versa.

-John

Meifesto

Semi-Suicidal Dutchie
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
Yupe, that is what i used to do as well.
Just stop the recording after something happened, and restart it again.

Now i either record knowingly that i will vlog.
Or i hold by hand against the camera for 2 or 3 secs.
Just scroll in seconds through hours of footage to find the black spots.
And go a bit back from there.

Never the fear of losing footage or events ;)

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a

That hand thing is a great idea! I tried something similar, wherein I'd wave in front of the camera, but it was far too hard to find those spots. Holding your hand for several seconds makes more sense and it'll show up in most editors better, to aid in scrubbing through the footage.

I was out riding today (had to vote, right?) and recording for a few upcoming videos, and I guess I've gotten pretty good at reaching down and hitting record on the remote, so I captured quite a few outtakes and observations that way. Still no way to not miss anything, unless I record it all.

-John

Reactions: HippoDrone

HRMV

Unsupervised Wanderer
Sep 22, 2019
I ride a
Kawasaki Z800
Quite true! I have missed a few things here and there while on a ride to go vlog, but it still beats scrubbing through hours of footage for a few minutes of talking.

One thing I did while recording the entire ride was to stop and start recording after something interesting happened, or before speaking. That way the interesting footage is either at the start or very end. If I'm not talking at the beginning of a clip, I know that the end of the clip is where the action is, and vice versa.

-John
That's a good idea, might try it.

Reactions: Drakhen99

HRMV

Unsupervised Wanderer
Sep 22, 2019
I ride a
Kawasaki Z800

That's also a good idea, easy to see when scrubbing through. Plus suppose that means if someone happens immediately after you think you would normally switch off you don't loose it.

Meifesto

Semi-Suicidal Dutchie
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
That hand thing is a great idea! I tried something similar, wherein I'd wave in front of the camera, but it was far too hard to find those spots. Holding your hand for several seconds makes more sense and it'll show up in most editors better, to aid in scrubbing through the footage.

Yeah, and for commuting rides, when i arrive at location i just say out loud if something happened worth saving.
So, i watch back the last 10 secs, if i so no than i can delete it.
If i say yes, then i shall scrub through the footage to find the black spot of me blocking the camera.

I can empty a 64gb card in that way in minutes ;)

Reactions: HRMV and Drakhen99

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
Yeah, and for commuting rides, when i arrive at location i just say out loud if something happened worth saving.
So, i watch back the last 10 secs, if i so no than i can delete it.
If i say yes, then i shall scrub through the footage to find the black spot of me blocking the camera.

I can empty a 64gb card in that way in minutes ;)

Oh man, that's cool! Too bad my commute is 80% highway and thus boring. Also, I run a left-side mount, so highways speeds wear on my neck a bit.

-John

Meifesto

Semi-Suicidal Dutchie
Jan 5, 2013
The Netherlands
I ride a
Yamaha XT660R
Oh man, that's cool! Too bad my commute is 80% highway and thus boring. Also, I run a left-side mount, so highways speeds wear on my neck a bit.

-John

The journey from home to work is 90% highway.
So i don't vlog then, but you get a cager now and then who don't know how to ride.
Or a truck that has a flat tyre, or a burning car ... etc. Footage you might want to keep ;)

The way back i can do highway as well, or i can avoid highway and take more interesting roads.
Might be 40 mins instead of 25, but it is more fun to ride ;)
Then i do vlog from time to time, but not always ;)

Mine camera is right-side mount ;)

Reactions: HRMV and Drakhen99

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
So i don't vlog then, but you get a cager now and then who don't know how to ride.
Or a truck that has a flat tyre, or a burning car ... etc. Footage you might want to keep ;)

The way back i can do highway as well, or i can avoid highway and take more interesting roads.

Oh, well having it on the right is WAY different ... LOL!

Yeah, I hear ya about stupid cagers and weird stuff happening. I may have to do it again sometime... I just generally don't like to.

I could always just do a dashcam setup since I have a RickRak mount on my Glide. Then it's no bother on me, but I won't have audio. I use a corded lapel mic, and I tested it once - having the mic cord flapping around in the breeze is no good!

-John

Reactions: HRMV and Meifesto

HRMV

Unsupervised Wanderer
Sep 22, 2019
I ride a
Kawasaki Z800

One thing I did while recording the entire ride was to stop and start recording after something interesting happened, or before speaking. That way the interesting footage is either at the start or

I do the same, direct route to work, scenic route home where possible. Keeps it interesting.

I also only record all the time, for those chain of pant requiring moments or those humour filled no one will believe this moments.

LandyVlad

King of Mycenae
Jun 8, 2020
Brisbane, Australia
gsx1400owners.org
I ride a
Suzuki GSX1400
Another option worth considering - after something interesting happens (and assuming you don't want a long continuous no cut segment) then bring your hand up and cover the camera lens for a second or two.
This can often be picked up easily when scrubbing through the video during editing.

Moto Mengy

Motovlogger from PA, USA
Mar 23, 2020
I ride a
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
I also only record all the time, for those chain of pant requiring moments or those humour filled no one will believe this moments.

I only record when I'm out to make a video with a plan and such. I still do 80% of my riding without the cameras even mounted. It seems to me like a lot of motovloggers film constantly while riding hoping to catch surprising moments on film, but I don't do that at all really.

This is probably why I don't have any issues going through my footage either. I don't have much to cut out normally and my GoPro files are small because I'm only really filming when I am actively making a video. But then I am an obsessive planner too...

Last edited:

Drakhen99

Aug 31, 2020
road-reality.com
I ride a
I record all my longer rides, and if I have a specific topic I want to discuss. I like to share the scenery, and maybe I'll catch a weird thing or two on camera.

I recently spent 5 hours on the bike, 200 miles total, and recorded about 30 minutes of footage... and over 60 photos :D
-John

Reactions: HippoDrone

Winners Video

Website Supported by Ipswich SEO

Latest posts